U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM
 
967 posts, read 1,333,186 times
Reputation: 695

Advertisements

Am I the only one who is dumbfounded by this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
 
Location: planet earth
3,574 posts, read 1,274,117 times
Reputation: 7915
I believe suicide is murder. I understand that the current mainstream thinking is that suicide is "fine," and no one should be shamed for doing it - it's a very pro-suicide environment.

But the major religions are not "for" it - and even in metaphysical studies, Delores Cannon talks about the ill-effects on the people who do it in the afterlife (it's on YouTube for anyone interested).

It is not a solution, if you understand the long term issues - and it is very passive-aggressive to create a horror movie scene for your "loved ones" (use that term very loosely) to stumble upon.

There will be a lot of responses that the person is "mentally ill" and "can't help it" (suicide apologists).

Please provide a link to the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
40,349 posts, read 38,919,330 times
Reputation: 76362
I've heard it referred to that way.

I had a coworker who used to say it was the coward's way out, because instead of dealing with your problems you leave them PLUS the tragedy of your death for your loved ones to handle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Riding a rock floating through space
946 posts, read 252,624 times
Reputation: 2428
So your professor identified himself to be a judgmental a$$hole, now you know what he is. Bottom line is everyone has the right to live their lives or end their lives, nobody has the right to dictate this decision to anyone else.

"I believe suicide is murder." - you are very much alone on this ridiculous opinion, since murder is by definition the unlawful killing of ANOTHER human being. Do you consider someone who masturbates guilty of a sex crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM
 
7,686 posts, read 9,170,523 times
Reputation: 13117
By the definition of the word, they are cowards.


cow·ard
/ˈkou(ə)rd/
noun
noun: coward; plural noun: cowards
1.
a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.

Last edited by spencgr; Yesterday at 05:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Riding a rock floating through space
946 posts, read 252,624 times
Reputation: 2428
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
By the sheer definition of the word, they are cowards.


cow·ard
/ˈkou(ə)rd/
noun
noun: coward; plural noun: cowards
1.
a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.
The whole premise of life begins with being born through no decision of our own, and into conditions we have no control over. We are thrust into this life, having all kinds of burdens placed on us and told to do the best we can. I see no problem with saying "I reject this situation I never asked for." It is not cowardice, it is only fair.
That being said, those who judge others who have never walked in their shoes are by sheer definition, a$$holes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM
 
Location: on the wind
4,987 posts, read 1,919,690 times
Reputation: 17591
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Am I the only one who is dumbfounded by this?
Maybe not dumbfounded, but surprised. Calling a whole group of people cowards is conveniently dismissive especially if the speaker doesn't even know their circumstances. I think the act of suicide is often viewed as cowardly compared to enduring a miserable life, but that doesn't mean the person choosing it was a coward about everything else. They hit some point of no return and made a decision that can't be revoked. How each individual got there matters. There is ritual suicide that could be viewed as selflessly sacrificial.

Haven't met anyone yet who believes suicide is "fine". No one should be shamed for it. What earthly good would that do? They are not around to feel judged. They should however be mourned.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 06:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Queens, NY
3,763 posts, read 2,060,871 times
Reputation: 4701
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
The whole premise of life begins with being born through no decision of our own, and into conditions we have no control over. We are thrust into this life, having all kinds of burdens placed on us and told to do the best we can. I see no problem with saying "I reject this situation I never asked for." It is not cowardice, it is only fair.
That being said, those who judge others who have never walked in their shoes are by sheer definition, a$$holes.
Agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Central IL
13,974 posts, read 7,560,107 times
Reputation: 32524
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Am I the only one who is dumbfounded by this?
In the context of a college professor teaching a course in psychology I'd say that was inappropriate. He/she is entitled to a personal opinion but comments made in class should be objective and based on empirical evidence. Multiple perspectives can be discussed in terms of theory - but personal opinions unrelated to research are out of place.

This was not a class in theology, philosophy, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM
 
2,742 posts, read 1,201,348 times
Reputation: 10634
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
In the context of a college professor teaching a course in psychology I'd say that was inappropriate. He/she is entitled to a personal opinion but comments made in class should be objective and based on empirical evidence. Multiple perspectives can be discussed in terms of theory - but personal opinions unrelated to research are out of place.

This was not a class in theology, philosophy, etc.
This
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top