Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:36 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times

Advertisements

Some people (like me) think they’re saying something funny, they don’t care if everyone likes it or agrees, if a few people they like acknowledge or “get it” that’s good enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 02:46 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Maybe they are clever, witty, and funny to certain people.
Yup! I tend to be receptive to it. Matter of fact...some witty comments take a slight pause...then a eureka moment of I got it!

I don't shoot the mssgr. ..
Some dry humor does get passed off...it's not my cup of tea.

Ps: yup month python is funny....clever : " not the fluffy pillow" ...

Old 01-10-2019, 06:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
People have different sense of humor. I think the netflix series Trailer Park Boys is hilarious. My best friend don't think it's funny at all. I love Monty Python, many people hate it.
This, totally.

My husband can't understand how I find The Detectorists funny at all, but we have a wide range of humor in common if that makes sense. But even with everything we DO find funny simultaneously, we still have some differences. I can watch some British comedies and find them absolutely hilarious and very witty, and he will be sitting over there saying, "I can't believe you think this is funny."

I remember after our first date, I woke up the next morning and thought, "Wow, why does my face and my stomach hurt?" and then I remembered - it was because he made me laugh so hard for hours the night before! I knew then, "I have to have this guy in my life!" But his ex wife apparently didn't find him nearly as charming!

Her loss, but I digress!

I like Monty Python by the way, but I can't stand Benny Hill. I love me some Father Ted though, which some people find VERY offensive. Oh well.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:50 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
Oh boy, there's a poster that I've seen on the local sub and other subs I visit who is exactly like this. His posts are demeaning, cocky, and sometimes downright condescending, but he's skillful at putting on a good face to it. He tries to laugh it off like he's 'just jokin' around wit ya', but basically it seems that he's calling you stupid. And it's not just the occasional post; it's like 95% of them. Sometimes I just think to myself, 'Jesus Christ, the angst this guy has'.

I don't really like it.
Sounds like it is passive-aggressiveness, which is criticism or aggression wrapped under layers of biting humor or wit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
I have a very dry, cold British style of humour and sometimes I'd use that persona quite a bit on forums. However, particularly with non British people, it was not understood, and people couldn't tell if I was being serious or not. For example, someone misinterpreted some metaphor I used and then used that as a basis to personally attack me. Some people would understand it, though, but I decided in the end that it was not worth using a posting style that most didn't and might get offended by, because people would react badly to it, even though it was intended in a playful/humorous style.
I enjoy British humor, which is dry, delivered in a deadpan, at times sale-deprecating, manner. It is also a perfect form in which to deliver passive-aggressiveness to one’s foe, esp. amoungst a certain group/class. Civilized, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Some people (like me) think they’re saying something funny, they don’t care if everyone likes it or agrees, if a few people they like acknowledge or “get it” that’s good enough.
We are all wittily funny to an audience of me, myself, and I.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:09 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
During the day while conducting business, I can live without the BS whether they are actually funny or not. I just want to discuss what we need to discuss, solve the problem and move on to the next thing. I get a little aggravated when we are trying to sort something out and some nit wit keeps trying to shoot the BS or crack jokes.

Outside of business I don't mind but yes some people just aren't funny and they keep at it and it get irritating. I personally have a dry sense of humor and love sarcastic humor which results in some people thinking I am just a smartass. I will pop little quips off without cracking a smile and people that don't know me well think I am just being a dick. lol Oh well they can like me or not, doesn't much matter either way.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:32 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
People have different sense of humor. I think the netflix series Trailer Park Boys is hilarious. My best friend don't think it's funny at all. I love Monty Python, many people hate it.

I binge watched 2 or 3 seasons of Trailer Park Boys. LOL Bubbles! LOL

And I also, dearly love Monty Python. I love silliness. lol

Old 02-09-2019, 08:01 AM

468 posts, read 615,586 times
My ex-husband was a narcissist and he used to label himself as a genius all the time.

He'd also have a very hard time admitting he was wrong.

He'd repeatedly try to make the point that he knew better, or that he was the smartest.

You'd NEVER hear him say he was sorry, that he was wrong, or that he took responsibility. He thought he was misunderstood, or that people were out to get him, or that everyone who didn't like him was crazy.

The biggest red flag for me that scarred me was that he used to call his ex partner "crazy". I heard her side of the story years later and found she wasn't crazy, it was his narcissistic bull**** & constant lying to her that made her unstable.

He is probably telling his latest girlfriend from Tinder about his crazy ex-wife (me). At least our son and daughter can see what he is, sometimes he might use those two to get at me.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:19 AM

938 posts, read 445,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I wonder about the psychology behind this self-belief. Thinking oneself to be cleverly witty and constantly or frequently making remarks that they think are so clever and funny. It is a remarkably lame self-belief.
I'll be honest - some people like my sense of humor, some don't and it doesn't matter all that much to me.

What matters is if I have fun and I don't anger the wife.

Last edited by Indiana Tony; 02-09-2019 at 09:32 AM..

Old 02-09-2019, 09:38 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Most jokers and comedians are the babies of their families. The more dysfunctional the family the more compelled the most powerless member feels to lighten the mood by trying to get people to laugh.

Isn't that interesting?

Yes, and I agree.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:23 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Yes, and I agree.
Good afternoon, GBH.

I also notice this in medium-sized groups of people. There are only so many roles a person can take in a family and they often carry it out into the world with them as a coping skill.

The by-the-book (but not necessarily set in stone) roles for children in birth order are:

First child - The Hero. He's the one the parents expect to succeed and have the most time to focus on.

Second child - The Scapegoat. The "good" kid is already there. He's bigger and stronger, he's well-bonded with Mom and Dad and he already knows the rules. The best way to get attention is to do the opposite of what's expected. He can excel at that.

Third child - The Lost Child. Where's his role? "Good" and "bad" are taken. Everybody's doing their thing. Might as well sit at the computer and stay out of the fracas. Don't make waves. Or make them quietly. Where do I belong?

Last child - The Comic or Mascot. The baby - isn't he cute? And funny, too. We've got all these conflicts and interactions going on among our roles so it's a good thing he can keep us laughing.

Poor little mascot. Does he ever get to say how he really feels and what he really needs?

There will be people in every group who choose the role of mood-lightener. I think I read somewhere once that Richard Pryor grew up in a very dangerous, tough environment and said he had saved himself many a beating by making people laugh. A woman who worked with him once said he had a very tender childlike spirit that he hid from people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology