Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 10:12 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times

Advertisements

Lately I've found myself nostalgic for the 90s. That was the era when I grew up. It seems strange since I didn't particularly enjoy my teen years but lately I have been really nostalgic for that time period. I will be 38 this year. Do you think this could be a sign of an impending midlife crisis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 10:27 PM

481 posts, read 422,481 times
I'm younger, but am quite nostalgic for my college years, despite them being just a few years ago. There's this almost omnipresent "vintage glow" and feeling of coziness whenever I think back, even during times I was struggling. Sometimes I also feel nostalgic for places in time I never experienced. Been feeling pretty nostalgic for the 2000s and early 2010s for a while, particularly for places I never lived in during that time. I find keeping myself busy with fun and work gives me less time to ponder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7JthgTMHDU

Old 01-07-2019, 09:48 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,679 times
Wouldn't call it a midlife crisis. You were at a different place in your life than you are now. "Midlife crisis" is when people act foolish in the face of these nostalgic feelings. You can't turn back the clock by behaving differently.

I can think of many people who look fondly back at times when they had less complicated lives, knew less (ignorance *IS* bliss, it's not just a put-down), had to make fewer life-altering decisions and you didn't know what you didn't know and that was OK...the worst part is that even though you didn't see yourself as happy then, you may have been happier than you are now and you had no idea (my current state!). I hate to admit it but when my mother says "life was better before the internet..." I would have to agree.

Wait until you get to a point where more people you know are dead than alive, your Christmases are quieter, your childhood happy places are knocked down for pure entertainment of town boards made of people half your age or twice your age trying to cater to people half your age...then the nostalgia really takes a toll.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:59 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,248,805 times
Since becoming an adult, I've been nostalgic for the late 1940s-early 1960s, even though I rarely had two nickels to rub together.

(Nickels, heh, they prolly don't know what I'm talking about.)

Old 01-07-2019, 02:05 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Lately I've found myself nostalgic for the 90s. That was the era when I grew up. It seems strange since I didn't particularly enjoy my teen years but lately I have been really nostalgic for that time period. I will be 38 this year. Do you think this could be a sign of an impending midlife crisis?
Sure. I'm 51 and get all misty-eyed over certain 80s rock bands and songs. That was "my" era, though the early 90's surely rocked, too.

Yep, that nostalgia seems to be inevitable. These songs drive specific emotions and situations I remember with (what seems like) clarity. Memory is notorious, though. No matter, it's my fun and I'll embrace it.

Nothing wrong with current day, but those were heady days for me, too.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:30 PM

892 posts, read 484,069 times
it helps when the present doesn't look so great. perspective on what happened before, and how things managed to work out anyway. oh, and remembering pleasant experiences to feel happy...nothing i can see 'wrong' with that. better than feeling regrets and pessimism better left in the past.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:46 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,041,939 times
Yep, I'm feeling it for the 70s/80s. We didn't have as much in many ways, yet actually had more time to just live. I compare my growing up to my kids and while they had a lot, they missed a lot was well. It seems like every day for them was scheduled. School, sports, whatever. And we recognized it as the time but couldn't find a way around it because every other kids was also scheduled. Their friends were all on teams and the only way they could play was to be on the team with them.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:03 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Yep, I'm feeling it for the 70s/80s. We didn't have as much in many ways, yet actually had more time to just live. I compare my growing up to my kids and while they had a lot, they missed a lot was well. It seems like every day for them was scheduled. School, sports, whatever. And we recognized it as the time but couldn't find a way around it because every other kids was also scheduled. Their friends were all on teams and the only way they could play was to be on the team with them.
I think it's sad how much kids are scheduled these days. It's gotten to the point I don't even attempt to socialize with parents. All parents seem to do now is ferry their kids around town.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:58 AM

481 posts, read 422,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I think it's sad how much kids are scheduled these days. It's gotten to the point I don't even attempt to socialize with parents. All parents seem to do now is ferry their kids around town.
How much different were things back then? When I was a kid in the 2000s, I was ferried around a lot. Piano. Aikido. Soccer. I felt constantly "in motion". Partly the reason why, when I was maybe 21, said to my dad I wanted to move to Portland because "they were less objective out there" (quite silly to say, in retrospect).

An extremely interesting article I think you may like is linked below. It concerns how much parenting has changed, and how, in an effort to "prep" their children for success, they sacrifice much:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/25/u...parenting.html

Old 01-08-2019, 04:42 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,642 times
Nostalgia's not what it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology