U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,007,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Animals don't give love. Animals respond to their environment and owners perceive that response as love in order to meet their emotional needs.
Bingo! I like pets, but it seems almost cruel to have so many animals just for the sole purpose of pleasing yourself. I agree with the smell as well some houses smell worse than a vet clinic, and animals are just rolling around in the funk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM

943 posts, read 548,802 times
personally, I prefer the company of my dog and cats over most people..

Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM

1,508 posts, read 529,563 times
Why so many ANYthing?

pets, books, Beanie Babies....whatever.

we have too many books and we know it.
they are even stored under our bed.
but...it is our right to do so.

Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

4,877 posts, read 3,055,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post

Why so many ANYthing?

This is the psychology forum - the study of human behavior - so the question is why do you have "too many books" as you describe it and why are you perhaps excessively acquisitional to a great degree, rather than the question being your 'right to do so'.

There are both conscious and unconscious reasons why you have "too many books", as described by you.

One can easily guess what some of the psychological reasons are, but you could also provide them, but providing them is certainly not necessary. Having too many of anything has psychological motivations.

Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM

10,673 posts, read 7,770,684 times
I'm not sure what kind of vet you are used to visiting that smells like anything other than a medical clinic. Good veterinarian offices don't stink.
I use good litter and clean the box daily so there's no cat smell. I only have one. I went to our awesome shelter and asked for the oldest, least likely to be adopted. And he loves me as evidenced by his desire to be on me every chance, his kneading, rubbing and purring.
I've had the same 2 dogs for about 13yrs. They're worth whatever I've spent on them.
Animals have always been a part of my life.
Okay I have a horse...did I mention that? He's at a retirement farm.

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

4,064 posts, read 3,063,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It is interesting to me because growing up everyone had "a" family pet. A well loved dog or a cat and the children might have a hamster or something. Then when people started working full time there might be two pets to keep each other company all day. Now four or five is not uncommon. Just wondering what may have changed.
There've always been people who had a lot of animals. You just didn't know them as a kid.

Various demographic pressures have shifted much of the US's formerly rural population into suburban and urban areas. Presumably fifty years ago (or whatever) the kind of people who enjoy having a pack of critters, or who find it useful to keep small livestock, would have been more likely to live on rural properties or hobby farms. Many of those properties have been swallowed up by suburban sprawl, and living wage employment opportunities have also become much scarcer farther from urban areas. So these menageries may be more visible now than they used to be.

Up until this most recent generation, discretionary household income had also been rising, meaning more money for hobbies than people had decades ago.

Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM

3,926 posts, read 6,860,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I have had "mini-zoos" in my life, and five or six pets is not in any way a mini-zoo. If the animals are all well cared for and the environment clean, it's really no one's business. I have never even considered asking why some people feel the need to have so many children. Well...the Duggars, maybe...

I think you underestimate animals.
And I think you understand them.

Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM

20,490 posts, read 6,816,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
Why so many ANYthing?

Well for starters, the other t hings don't require $$$$ to keep them in good health.

Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

74,511 posts, read 66,140,508 times
I noticed that several people mentioned ferrets. Ferrets seem to be the new pet fad. A friend of mine got a ferret years ago, when she already had two big fluffy dog, some breed I'd never seen before. She also had a cat or two. But she said ferrets are very delicate and tricky to care for, and they're not very long-lived? I'm not sure wha the point is. I guess they're the New Age hamster, or something.

I don't like the way the pet industry pushes certain animals. Anything to make a buck. I remember the baby turtle phase, when I was a kid. Those poor turtles didn't stand a chance. Few kids were able to provide a proper environment and food, for them to be well, to say nothing of thriving. The pet purveyors didn't care if they all died, though; they'd just sell more. That really turned me off to the pet industry.

Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM

74,511 posts, read 66,140,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm not sure what kind of vet you are used to visiting that smells like anything other than a medical clinic. Good veterinarian offices don't stink.
I use good litter and clean the box daily so there's no cat smell. I only have one. I went to our awesome shelter and asked for the oldest, least likely to be adopted. And he loves me as evidenced by his desire to be on me every chance, his kneading, rubbing and purring.
I've had the same 2 dogs for about 13yrs. They're worth whatever I've spent on them.
Animals have always been a part of my life.
Okay I have a horse...did I mention that? He's at a retirement farm.
lol. Hard core, hunterseat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology