U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 04:08 AM

11,246 posts, read 3,135,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I believe what humans call love and what animals engage in within their own species are two different things.

I have no problem believing animals engage in "emotional" responses within their own species.

I'm a human. I know what I need to be loved. I'm not going to delude myself to believe I can get that from a dog or cat.

A dog coming when a human yells is conditioning.
A cat jumping in a person's lap could be simple amusement for the cat.

None of this translates into love back from the animal.

Now, I believe humans can project their needs onto animals and interpret animal responses as "love."

Also, in order for love to be true, it has to be a free will choice. Animals or more specifically, PETS are captive beings. They never chose to "love" their humans. They are just living and behaving within the confines of their captivity. Open your fence and see what happens.

Oh, and before anyone quotes a story of a runaway dog that returned home after xx amount of time, in nature, animals create habitats and migrate and return every year by instinct. Your home has just become their habitat.

One last thing, someone left this comment without their name:

No need to feel sorry for me. I'm not living under any delusions. A loving environment? How many trashy people do you know who have pets?
Can you explain to me why, if these responses have nothing to do with love (or whatever you want to call it, since the attribution of a "human" emotion to an animal seems to offend you) a cat or dog or other animal will bond more closely to one human within the household than another, and why that bond may not be with the primary caregiver?

I also know what I need to be loved. I know that the love of a parent is different from the love of a partner, the love of a child is different from the love of a friend. The love of a pet is different from any of those, but that doesn't mean it isn't love.

Let's talk for a moment about that captivity thing. Do you think that minor children are not also "captives?" Kids don't get to choose their parents, either. That doesn't mean they are incapable of loving them. When you come right down to it, you could attribute all love to nothing more than familiarity, if you really wanted to.

I didn't leave the comment, but I will say that I, too, feel kind of sorry for you. Life is full of gifts, if you have the eyes to see them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:06 AM

10,673 posts, read 7,770,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I start to feel itchy reading your post. Thinking about a friend who is now gone, but her cat slept on her chest most nights, excuse me while I sneeze...
If I was allergic I wouldn't have gotten a cat.
It's proven animals are good for your health even lowering blood pursue. Thus therapy animals (legitimate ones).

Old Today, 07:07 AM

4,884 posts, read 3,827,544 times
Quote:
I start to feel itchy reading your post. Thinking about a friend who is now gone, but her cat slept on her chest most nights, excuse me while I sneeze...
I have 3 cats. They all sleep with me, on my bed, curled up next to me, at night. One behind my knees, one in front by my waist, and one sometimes by my neck, sometimes by my feet, sometimes on top of my head. When I roll over, they all reshift as well. My dog sleeps on his bed, which is next to my bed. (He's a 100 lb golden).

I am not allergic to pets. (I do think I am allergic to highly judgmental people though.... )

Quote:
Everyone has their needs and wants, Choices.
Yes, they do. I need my pets. I want my pets. I choose my pets.

I will always have pets. They bring me JOY and LAUGHTER, and really, who can have too much of either of those?

Old Today, 08:01 AM

2,755 posts, read 1,206,998 times
I donít question it because itís none of my business ,nor am I concerned about other peopleís lifestyle choices. The only time Iíd question it is if they are keeping exotic animals that can prove harmful to others if they escape or they are suffering living in an unnatural environment.

Old Today, 08:33 AM

9,202 posts, read 5,035,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This is not about animal hoarding, or neglect cases. But lately when I read about a fire, there are always casualties of multiple pets. Not two dogs or a dog and cat but five or six animals, and many of these are small houses or apartments (probably illegally kept number of animals). Now when there is a story of a house fire I know there will probably sadly be multiple animal casualties.

Why do people feel they want or need to keep such numbers of pets, particularly if it is in small homes, and it is not questioned. It seems like a lot of work, expense, mess and most people are at work all day. There has to be a psychological reason people are now keeping mini-zoos, certainly beyond "animal loving", it seems like not an ideal situation for anyone.

First, you start with two because you never want to come home to an empty house.

Then, the strays seek you out, probably during a cold winter, so you invite them in. Melas was #3.

Now, you have a big home, a ranch, and a girl friend has found 2 kittens. You want to help but you are sort at your limit but you want to be there as a friend so you say, "Well, if you get into a crunch..", but you know there are other possibilities, other homes, so you are part of the system but not the answer.....

......until weeks down the line, they are in the crunch and you did offer and then...........

But that's it, the house is full with 5 cats........and one crazy lady.

Old Today, 08:34 AM

10,395 posts, read 6,575,795 times
I certainly don't judge anybody for wanting pets, but yeah there's a line that does have to be drawn somewhere.

And it's generally in the vicinity of where you are in over your head with the animals you've got. You could have ONE dog that you don't know how to properly care for, and let it destroy your house, or end up putting it out in the yard or tied to something outside permanently (which I believe is abusive) and there you are, that person with a pet you weren't prepared to care for right. I feel like a good barometer, as others have mentioned smell, is if you can clean up after the animal(s) you have. All creatures poo. Are you willing and able to keep the poo under control, or no? If a pile of dog or cat poo is left on your floor for hours or days or weeks after it happened, or if you just let the creature fill up the yard with un-picked-up poo so that in the summertime it's a wasteland of stink and flies...you're a lousy pet owner.

And there is an upper limit somewhere, to how much finite resources (time, effort, and by extension, money) that any given person or household has. If your pet choices have pushed you beyond that limit, I'm not going to be donating to your GoFundMe every month so you can make rent. I have known people who are like this, constantly complaining they don't have enough money to live, but somehow they have a whole bunch of pets they're feeding and once in a while telling me about that vet bill in the hundreds or thousands...I mean. Come on. That is out of bounds for responsible adult behavior. My Mom is one of these types. She can have my moral support while I silently judge her for her poor choices, but yeah that's about it.

Old Today, 08:40 AM
Status: "Mae gwen a'r byd yn gwenu gyda chi" (set 17 hours ago)

1,357 posts, read 1,833,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I've got some friends. They fill a good sized (5 bedroom) house with...

2 men
1 woman
7 kids
3 dogs
4 cats
?? ferrets
?? bunnies
?? hedgehogs
...and recently said they have a rooster in the garage (why?)
"It could hold eight kids and four hound dogs
And a piggy we stole from the shed
We didn't get much sleep, but we had alot of fun
On Grandma's feather bed"

John Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I prefer my 3 cats and 1 dog to most people. They provide entertainment, cuddles, snuggles, bug removal, and good belly laughs. The y are so entertaining. I enjoy them so much.
Reason B for multiple pets: They provide entertainment and pest control so no expense going out to movies or premium TV plans, etc., and no exterminator bills. And pest control involves no toxic sprays or chemicals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I have 3 cats. They all sleep with me, on my bed, curled up next to me, at night. One behind my knees, one in front by my waist, and one sometimes by my neck, sometimes by my feet, sometimes on top of my head. When I roll over, they all reshift as well. My dog sleeps on his bed, which is next to my bed. (He's a 100 lb golden).

Reason C for multiple pets: "Heat Bonding" A natural organic environmentally friendly heat source for sleeping, no burning fossil fuels, natural gas from "fracking" (although you may occasionally have to deal with a natural gas of a different nature) or other environmentally harmful sources of home heating...

Old Today, 08:44 AM

9,202 posts, read 5,035,307 times
Quote:
I certainly don't judge anybody for wanting pets, but yeah there's a line that does have to be drawn somewhere.

And it's generally in the vicinity of where you are in over your head with the animals you've got. You could have ONE dog that you don't know how to properly care for, and let it destroy your house, or end up putting it out in the yard or tied to something outside permanently (which I believe is abusive) and there you are, that person with a pet you weren't prepared to care for right. I feel like a good barometer, as others have mentioned smell, is if you can clean up after the animal(s) you have. All creatures poo. Are you willing and able to keep the poo under control, or no? If a pile of dog or cat poo is left on your floor for hours or days or weeks after it happened, or if you just let the creature fill up the yard with un-picked-up poo so that in the summertime it's a wasteland of stink and flies...you're a lousy pet owner.

And there is an upper limit somewhere, to how much finite resources (time, effort, and by extension, money) that any given person or household has. If your pet choices have pushed you beyond that limit, I'm not going to be donating to your GoFundMe every month so you can make rent. I have known people who are like this, constantly complaining they don't have enough money to live, but somehow they have a whole bunch of pets they're feeding and once in a while telling me about that vet bill in the hundreds or thousands...I mean. Come on. That is out of bounds for responsible adult behavior. My Mom is one of these types. She can have my moral support while I silently judge her for her poor choices, but yeah that's about it.

About poo, Kara and Dirk essentially doubled the amount of kitty litter into the garbage bin. It use to be, one's week of the bin and it was rather easy to wrangle into the Forester to get it out to the road. Now, each week, it's a TON! but I manage to do it but still..........

Old Today, 09:36 AM

7,354 posts, read 5,470,541 times
Quote:
I've got some friends. They fill a good sized (5 bedroom) house with...

2 men
1 woman
7 kids
3 dogs
4 cats
?? ferrets
?? bunnies
?? hedgehogs
...and recently said they have a rooster in the garage (why?) that they wanted advice on taking care of.

Also they feed outdoor cats, so any number of strays live in the yard now more or less.

That's...well...that's a lotta circus, and a lotta monkeys.

And I do not know how they survive on the income of only one person, but somehow they manage to.
You didn't mention where they had monkeys
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
My parents, no one's parents I knew, would have allowed that when I was growing up.

I ran into someone I went to school with and I mentioned my dog I had at the time, who was difficult to train. She kind of blew me off and said she had three kids, two dogs, two cats, a bird, a ferret, blah blah. I guess she told me.
Maybe where you grew up...Its something I notice mostly among those that have pretensions of a higher status than they actually have.

But I know plenty of people, and knew plenty of people, that had menageries growing up. I guess we did too...Goldfish and Lizards and the Dog. Neighbors had a Parrot, large aquarium, reptiles of all sorts. Most people I knew growing up that had a cat often had two cats. Often, its seen as part of the natural world. Otherwise, its akin to having a Garden; something that people just enjoy.

IDK...I personally don't want more than two dogs in the house. Cats are a non starter for me due to allergies.

That said, at one point this summer I was feeding four dogs; one that I dogsat for three weeks through a friend's C-Section, two fosters. I had at one point 10 Chickens too, though six of them were sent to freezer camp and until freezer camp, they were outside in the coop.

Old Today, 09:58 AM

25,269 posts, read 60,603,872 times
We usually have two dogs. When our dog got old, we bought a puppy. the puppy makes and old dog lively again and when the old dog dies, it is easier to handle if you still have a puppy or young dog to snuggle. then when the puppy gets old, we get another puppy. We favor giant dogs and they do not live very long ,thus, most of the time, we have two dogs.

We have a cat because my wife loves cats and desperately wanted one. She does nothing but sleep on the radiator all day so I am not sure she counts as a pet. I doubt we will get another cat if this one ever dies. She has been acting and looking dead for six years, but she just keeps going.

We have a bird because I love birds. I will probably always have a large bird. I think they make better pets than dogs or cats. We also have 8 or 12 finches. Finches are really more decorations than pets. Same with fish. (We have a fish tank too. It is pleasant to watch them swim around and interact, prettier and cheaper than having art to decorate your house.

We have two feral cats outside because the local shelter had too many of them and begged people to adopt them. We were having problems with mice and woodpeckers in our carriage house. The cats took care of that problem. I am not sure if they count as pets. We do pet one of them occasionally, but they are basically wild cats.

Our adult daughter now rents a room in our basement. She seems to be obsessed with acquiring new pets. She has a huge snake, two cats, some fish and wants to get a parrotlet.

At one point, when the kids were still home, they reached the age where they each wanted their own pet. At various times, in addition to our standard two dogs, cat and cockatoo. We ended up with a 6' iguana, some ferrets, gecko, sugar gliders, cockatiel, tarantula and a canary. I am probably forgetting something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology