U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:04 AM

742 posts, read 639,179 times

Advertisements

We have 6 dogs. I'm home and hubby works. Hubbie also makes decent money. We also have 2 indoor cats and 2 outdoor "barn" cats and 1 sheep and 1 goat.

Hubbie and I love animals. We like being around them and caring for them. Over the years we had 15 horses, 45 sheep, 120 goats, 2 alpacas, 2 llamas, chicken (which we still have for eggs), rabbits, etc.

Animals was our hobby. W e had a commercial goat farm and sold milk (we were inspected monthly by the state) and I made our own cheese and we drank the milk. We sold the babies. I just loved sitting outside watch the sheep graze. I found it calming and since they were friendly, I could call them by name and hug them.

I bred and sold rabbits. I had 1 riding horse and the others were rescues from slaughter or unwanted.

Yes we probably would have been millionaires if we didn't support these animals.

As we aged, and had health problems, we had to find homes for these animals, some died from old age, but we never made money off them by selling them. It was more important to find good homes. Now we have what we do have as said above.

We know our limits, we are in our mid 60's, and will not be getting any more dogs as they age and die. They just provide pleasure and keep us company.

There are many health benefits to owning animals, plus we see the stories about unwanted or abused pets and feel we are in a position to do our little part to help.

Since I was a teen I had a recurring dream that I lived on a mountain that was fenced and I took in all the unwanted animals and children that no one else wanted. I had other adults that helped me, but they had to undergo a rigorous vetting process. So I guess this is either "IN" you or it isn't.

I always asked my mother as a little kid why we could buy the Bronx Zoo (I'm a native New Yorker), and by education, Hubbie is a marine biologist and wildlife rehabber, tho he never worked in those areas. In the past we both worked a short time for veterinarians. Thought that is what I wanted to do in college but never did it.

I guess you just have to like animals to understand. Just like there are some ppl that foster or adopt lots of kids.

It has to be in you....I believe even most hoarders start out with good intentions but do not have the self control or once in it don't have the means or thought process to get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:25 AM

11,247 posts, read 3,135,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
First, you start with two because you never want to come home to an empty house.

Then, the strays seek you out, probably during a cold winter, so you invite them in. Melas was #3.

Now, you have a big home, a ranch, and a girl friend has found 2 kittens. You want to help but you are sort at your limit but you want to be there as a friend so you say, "Well, if you get into a crunch..", but you know there are other possibilities, other homes, so you are part of the system but not the answer.....

......until weeks down the line, they are in the crunch and you did offer and then...........

But that's it, the house is full with 5 cats........and one crazy lady.
I haven't always done so, but I try to adopt kittens in pairs, so they have a playmate. Grown cats don't always welcome a rambunctious youngster.

Old Today, 11:32 AM

13,519 posts, read 7,434,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Animals don't give love. Animals respond to their environment and owners perceive that response as love in order to meet their emotional needs.
I might have to beg to differ with you there. If I don't see my friends pets for months and when I show up, the pets go crazy and are happy to see me. I get kitty hugs from on friend's cat that not everyone else gets. We have a special bond. My dogs loved each other. One would cry if I was cutting the other one's nails. They slept together in one bed. It might not be love in the human sense, but it is an emotional response in an animal sense that closely resembles what we would equate to love and affection.

There was this cockatoo that was caught in the wild. My friends son was a bit of a bird whisperer and was able to tame it. The bird took a liking to me and we were close for many years. It would see me pull up in the driveway and I could hear it screaming. Well I hadn't seen the bird for almost five years or more, it had been a long long time. My friend died and her son moved. I stopped in to see him and he still had the bird. I went up to the cage and started talking to it and I could see the wheels turning in it's head. It finally recognized me and it's foot came out of the cage reaching for me and it started screaming like it always did. I took it out of the cage and it was like we saw each other yesterday. It started screaming when I was leaving, and it broke my heart. I haven't seen it again and it's been years, but I'll bet you if I did, it would be the same scenario. Animals do love you in their own way. You just have to know how to talk to them and understand their language.

Old Today, 11:36 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,018,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
You didn't mention where they had monkeys

Maybe where you grew up...Its something I notice mostly among those that have pretensions of a higher status than they actually have.

But I know plenty of people, and knew plenty of people, that had menageries growing up. I guess we did too...Goldfish and Lizards and the Dog. Neighbors had a Parrot, large aquarium, reptiles of all sorts. Most people I knew growing up that had a cat often had two cats. Often, its seen as part of the natural world. Otherwise, its akin to having a Garden; something that people just enjoy.

IDK...I personally don't want more than two dogs in the house. Cats are a non starter for me due to allergies.

That said, at one point this summer I was feeding four dogs; one that I dogsat for three weeks through a friend's C-Section, two fosters. I had at one point 10 Chickens too, though six of them were sent to freezer camp and until freezer camp, they were outside in the coop.
It's pretentious to have one dog instead of five?

I think many of our moms were stay at home and took pride in their homes, even humble homes, and knew they would have to be primary caregivers of any animals despite the kids promising they would take care of the pets.

I'm most curious about dogs and cats, which most people view as family members. Some people move to a different state because they can't find an apartment that will accept all their pets. Then of course some lie and try to hide the pets from the landlord. Is the pull for the multiples that great that they sacrifice and risk so much? It doesn't seem that rational, and it is a big problem for landlords.

Old Today, 12:01 PM

4,679 posts, read 2,913,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This is not about animal hoarding, or neglect cases. But lately when I read about a fire, there are always casualties of multiple pets. Not two dogs or a dog and cat but five or six animals, and many of these are small houses or apartments (probably illegally kept number of animals). Now when there is a story of a house fire I know there will probably sadly be multiple animal casualties.

Why do people feel they want or need to keep such numbers of pets, particularly if it is in small homes, and it is not questioned. It seems like a lot of work, expense, mess and most people are at work all day. There has to be a psychological reason people are now keeping mini-zoos, certainly beyond "animal loving", it seems like not an ideal situation for anyone.
I can only guess you don't have any pet and for that, I am glad.... Please do continue being without one, that'll save a animal from misery.

Old Today, 12:17 PM

9,202 posts, read 5,035,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I haven't always done so, but I try to adopt kittens in pairs, so they have a playmate. Grown cats don't always welcome a rambunctious youngster.

They were all adopted in pairs.

Izzy and Gizzy are brother and sister.

Melas came with an older sister, Endora. They were still strays that spent a lot of time outside and Endora died there right after Thanksgiving. Tragic but at least I gave her about 8 months of pain free time as that she came with bad teeth that the Vet fixed.

Kara and Dirk are the young ones and they run and chase and wrestle each other. The older cats sort of get along with them but not really with each other.

Sort of.

Old Today, 12:38 PM

11,247 posts, read 3,135,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It's pretentious to have one dog instead of five?

I think many of our moms were stay at home and took pride in their homes, even humble homes, and knew they would have to be primary caregivers of any animals despite the kids promising they would take care of the pets.

I'm most curious about dogs and cats, which most people view as family members. Some people move to a different state because they can't find an apartment that will accept all their pets. Then of course some lie and try to hide the pets from the landlord. Is the pull for the multiples that great that they sacrifice and risk so much? It doesn't seem that rational, and it is a big problem for landlords.
I can address that. I got my pets when I lived in a home owned by my family. Kept them when I bought a house of my own. Since then, when I have had to rent, I have asked, before anything else, about the pet policy. I adopted these animals, that means I am responsible for them for life. I have never lied to a landlord about any of them. I've just kept looking until I found a rental that would accept them, and if it wasn't a luxury apartment, well...so be it. I knew that was a possibility when I adopted. Would I adopt more under those circumstances? No. But I'll be damned if I'm going to ditch the ones I have.

Old Today, 01:33 PM

25,269 posts, read 60,603,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I might have to beg to differ with you there. If I don't see my friends pets for months and when I show up, the pets go crazy and are happy to see me. I get kitty hugs from on friend's cat that not everyone else gets. We have a special bond. My dogs loved each other. One would cry if I was cutting the other one's nails. They slept together in one bed. It might not be love in the human sense, but it is an emotional response in an animal sense that closely resembles what we would equate to love and affection.

There was this cockatoo that was caught in the wild. My friends son was a bit of a bird whisperer and was able to tame it. The bird took a liking to me and we were close for many years. It would see me pull up in the driveway and I could hear it screaming. Well I hadn't seen the bird for almost five years or more, it had been a long long time. My friend died and her son moved. I stopped in to see him and he still had the bird. I went up to the cage and started talking to it and I could see the wheels turning in it's head. It finally recognized me and it's foot came out of the cage reaching for me and it started screaming like it always did. I took it out of the cage and it was like we saw each other yesterday. It started screaming when I was leaving, and it broke my heart. I haven't seen it again and it's been years, but I'll bet you if I did, it would be the same scenario. Animals do love you in their own way. You just have to know how to talk to them and understand their language.
If a cockatoo bonds to you, it will recognize you immediately regardless of how long you have been apart. I am not sure if it is smell, appearance, sound, whatever.

My cockatoo used to be able to tell the sound of my car from half a mile away. My wife and kids would know I was almost home because Orville would start getting agitated. I worked erratic hours so he was not just getting excited because it was dad time. He mostly sat silent and unmoving through the day unless he wanted one of the kids to play with him. But when my car approached, he would go bonkers darning around, flapping screaming, talking, hanging upside down, tearing things apart.

When my car broke and i had to drive a rental for a while, he did not react, but he got mad when I walked in suddenly with the car giving him a heads up. I have the scars to prove it.

Old Today, 01:33 PM

4,157 posts, read 2,285,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Animals don't give love. Animals respond to their environment and owners perceive that response as love in order to meet their emotional needs.

OK whatever, but the point remains.... Animals don't say things like *that* and that's why people like them.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; Today at 01:46 PM..

Old Today, 01:34 PM

10,398 posts, read 6,575,795 times
Well, and for those of us who really only want one pet, there are always pets for adoption who don't really get along with other animals very well (at least as far as the rescue knows.) My Nimbus cat is one of those. It's not that he is mean to other cats, it's that they are mean to him. There's something about him that makes him look like some kind of a punching bag, or perhaps he looks threatening because he's big and fluffy but then when they go attacky on him and he runs, hides, corners himself or goes into a submissive posture, they think he is prey or something. Anyhow he gets bullied by other cats, and that's happened every time he's been around one. At the rescue where I adopted him, the lady usually let the cats be out in a room together loose, but she kept him in a cage alone because he kept getting hurt by the others.

He is happy being my only cat. I am happy having only one cat. It works out well.

And I'm not automatically judgy about people who have a lot of animals, like I said, one can be too many if you can't take good care of it. It's folks who lack the space, the time, the energy, the money, but who just keep on getting more and more pets regardless...I think that is a harmful and dysfunctional mental condition of some kind, akin to hoarding. Especially when I see in these homes that the animals aren't even in great health or condition, because the owner can't really care for them adequately. Oh, and those who get exotics that were always bound to be more than they could handle, without doing the research to figure that out... Not cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology