Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 03:05 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

It is interesting to me because growing up everyone had "a" family pet. A well loved dog or a cat and the children might have a hamster or something. Then when people started working full time there might be two pets to keep each other company all day. Now four or five is not uncommon. Just wondering what may have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 03:07 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I've got some friends. They fill a good sized (5 bedroom) house with...

2 men
1 woman
7 kids
3 dogs
4 cats
?? ferrets
?? bunnies
?? hedgehogs
...and recently said they have a rooster in the garage (why?) that they wanted advice on taking care of.

Also they feed outdoor cats, so any number of strays live in the yard now more or less.

That's...well...that's a lotta circus, and a lotta monkeys.

And I do not know how they survive on the income of only one person, but somehow they manage to.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:14 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

It is interesting to me because growing up everyone had "a" family pet. A well loved dog or a cat and the children might have a hamster or something. Then when people started working full time there might be two pets to keep each other company all day. Now four or five is not uncommon. Just wondering what may have changed.
The rampant pervasive loneliness of the culture in the U.S.

Also the pervasive fad/interest and emphasis on dogs and cats in the U.S. culture.....which also encourages more and more people to join in. Also the somewhat recent emphasis (in terms of over the decades) in the U.S. culture on 'rescue dogs'.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:34 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I've got some friends. They fill a good sized (5 bedroom) house with...

2 men
1 woman
7 kids
3 dogs
4 cats
?? ferrets
?? bunnies
?? hedgehogs
...and recently said they have a rooster in the garage (why?) that they wanted advice on taking care of.

Also they feed outdoor cats, so any number of strays live in the yard now more or less.

That's...well...that's a lotta circus, and a lotta monkeys.

And I do not know how they survive on the income of only one person, but somehow they manage to.
My parents, no one's parents I knew, would have allowed that when I was growing up.

I ran into someone I went to school with and I mentioned my dog I had at the time, who was difficult to train. She kind of blew me off and said she had three kids, two dogs, two cats, a bird, a ferret, blah blah. I guess she told me.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:42 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
My parents, no one's parents I knew, would have allowed that when I was growing up.

I ran into someone I went to school with and I mentioned my dog I had at the time, who was difficult to train. She kind of blew me off and said she had three kids, two dogs, two cats, a bird, a ferret, blah blah. I guess she told me.
Those kids grew up, and now get to have all the pets their parents wouldn't let them have.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:56 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
animals don't give love. Animals respond to their environment and owners perceive that response as love in order to meet their emotional needs.
+1

Old 01-09-2019, 04:04 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
I'm going to blame misplaced maternal instincts. This can occur in men, too, albeit less frequently.

If I can smell your pets before I step off the welcome mat, I'm not returning to your residence. I cannot stand when a house smells like a vet's office, or worse.

If a pet or pets can undo your deep clean in less than 24 hours, you can't handle it/them.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:31 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Also the somewhat recent emphasis (in terms of over the decades) in the U.S. culture on 'rescue dogs'.
This ^^^.

So many people feel deep compassion for animals, which is a good thing, but the idea that every animal must be rescued has gone too far. They will adopt a dog or a cat to save it's life, and put up with all sorts of nonsense just so they can say they saved it. Some of them will rescue as many animals as they hear about that need rescuing. Apparently their numbers are irrelevant.

The dogs and cats are now running the asylum, and their human keepers are their slaves.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:46 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Animals don't give love. Animals respond to their environment and owners perceive that response as love in order to meet their emotional needs.
Of course animals can feel love. This is an old stereotype that really needs to be put to rest, based on outdated science. All mammals certainly have emotions. You could also interpret human relationships the same way you just did — when two humans hug, certain hormones are released in the brain causing them to feel good. It’s just a hormone payoff, not love.

https://www.livescience.com/49093-an...-feelings.html

https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/.../10/861/233998

Animals Do Have Emotions, But What Should We Call Them? | WBUR's The Wild Life

I have 4 cats because there are so many people out there who treat animals terribly. I’d prefer less cat poop in my house, but I rescued two of them who showed up at my house in ill health and very hungry, after having been abandoned by their owners. I have drawn the line at 4 though, I cannot save them all.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:54 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
When I grew up there were dog houses. No way would my father have an animal running around the house. Cats were all outside too. Chickens of course.

Then it all changed and what brought on the change I don't know, maybe the animal foundations.

A friend just spent $1500 on her dog's neglected teeth. Good ole credit card.

I live alone and am not lonely so a pet would add nothing but work for me. Don't need that. With so many distractions how can anyone feel lonely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology