U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:27 PM

10,522 posts, read 6,014,449 times

Advertisements

This is not about animal hoarding, or neglect cases. But lately when I read about a fire, there are always casualties of multiple pets. Not two dogs or a dog and cat but five or six animals, and many of these are small houses or apartments (probably illegally kept number of animals). Now when there is a story of a house fire I know there will probably sadly be multiple animal casualties.

Why do people feel they want or need to keep such numbers of pets, particularly if it is in small homes, and it is not questioned. It seems like a lot of work, expense, mess and most people are at work all day. There has to be a psychological reason people are now keeping mini-zoos, certainly beyond "animal loving", it seems like not an ideal situation for anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:46 PM

74,499 posts, read 66,110,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This is not about animal hoarding, or neglect cases. But lately when I read about a fire, there are always casualties of multiple pets. Not two dogs or a dog and cat but five or six animals, and many of these are small houses or apartments (probably illegally kept number of animals). Now when there is a story of a house fire I know there will probably sadly be multiple animal casualties.

Why do people feel they want or need to keep such numbers of pets, particularly if it is in small homes, and it is not questioned. It seems like a lot of work, expense, mess and most people are at work all day. There has to be a psychological reason people are now keeping mini-zoos, certainly beyond "animal loving", it seems like not an ideal situation for anyone.
For some people, it's a hobby, so the care-and-feeding is part of the hobby. And some people truly are animal-lovers.

There was a profile of one of the people who survived the Paradise fire in CA, without evacuating. He said he couldn't evacuate, because he had too many pets, some being unusual (birds, etc.) He could never get them all into his car, he said, and besides, his car wasn't functional. He holed up with his animals, and hosed down his house, roof and all. The house (and residents) survived unscathed. Not everyone's so lucky, in the case of fire.

Old Today, 01:57 PM

4,872 posts, read 3,052,121 times
OP, for love. Animals give love. Sometimes to assuage and alleviate loneliness or emptiness. (speaking from psychology, I have no pets)

Old Today, 02:01 PM

9,869 posts, read 7,664,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
OP, for love. Animals give love. Sometimes to assuage and alleviate loneliness or emptiness. (speaking from observation, I have no pets)
Animals don't give love. Animals respond to their environment and owners perceive that response as love in order to meet their emotional needs.

Old Today, 02:07 PM

Also, some people like having animals dependent upon them, so that they feel needed in life. It adds meaning to their life and emotional life/needs.

Old Today, 02:16 PM

20,470 posts, read 6,807,206 times
I don't have any pets and no desire. Taking care of myself is enough.

I can wonder why people have so many animals but why bother...not for me. So many of the animals are neglected too I would think, taking care of them can be costly, not can be, is.

Old Today, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

I can wonder why people have so many animals but why bother.
Because this is the psychology forum, and psychology is the study of and examination of human behavior.

Old Today, 02:29 PM

20,470 posts, read 6,807,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Because this is the psychology forum, and psychology is the study of and examination of human behavior.
I'm talking in general terms about the subject. But then I wonder about a lot of behaviors of people but don't get lost in my wonder. Like why people need guns -- I know another topic.

Old Today, 02:34 PM

4,828 posts, read 1,685,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't have any pets and no desire. Taking care of myself is enough.

I can wonder why people have so many animals but why bother...not for me. So many of the animals are neglected too I would think, taking care of them can be costly, not can be, is.

My best friend, and her husband, have 4 dogs. All of them Bichon Frise. They also dog sit sometimes for extra money, AND they volunteer at a local shelter sometimes, AND last but not least, before my friend went back to work full time, twice a week, she and another volunteer would take the rescue bus to Atlanta to bring back to Chattanooga rescue dogs.

They have no human children. They have 4, 4-legged children. One male dog and 3 females makes for a happy little pack.

Old Today, 03:33 PM

11,232 posts, read 3,130,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

I have had "mini-zoos" in my life, and five or six pets is not in any way a mini-zoo. If the animals are all well cared for and the environment clean, it's really no one's business. I have never even considered asking why some people feel the need to have so many children. Well...the Duggars, maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Animals don't give love. Animals respond to their environment and owners perceive that response as love in order to meet their emotional needs.
I think you underestimate animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology