Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 08:30 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times

Advertisements

If it's a typical scenario where a teen "hates" their parents, then yeah, I think it makes more sense for them to deal with it than to take to the streets. That would be a little extreme and ill-advised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 08:59 PM

323 posts, read 218,751 times
I'd stay put with the people I dont like.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:02 PM

481 posts, read 422,227 times
Light-hearted example:

Back in my freshman year of college, my dorm-mate would make weird noises when they slept. With every. Single. Breath. Usually high pitched "EEEEEEEEEEE"s.

I was still an angsty teen who had misophonia, so their breathing noises drove me off the walls. Of course I didn't say anything, as they cannot help it.

So, in my desperation, I grabbed my blankets and went across the hall, and in my infinite college freshman wisdom I slept on the floor of the bathroom (specifically the shower area). Indeed, the grimy, hard-tile shower floor.

I gave up after 2 hours because my back hurt. So, to answer your question, I would much rather not be homeless.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:03 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Is this family member abusive ? Did they continue this behavior and consider it their normal?
I had one foster mom whom I would use as my motivation to not ever be homeless or dependent on a person of her cruel existence.
So if that person was one of my choices (amongst many other choices) ...then no I wouldn't reside with her. There are still laws that I would violate if that scenario even occurred fictionally.

I've relied on friends when I hit the homeless stage...ever ever so grateful for their ability to help me thru it.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:42 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
if I was living with people I hated, not just disliked in which case i'd just ignore them, but really out and out hated, then I would move, whether that's was to be homeless or to find somewhere else to live, I wont live with people I detest and that's a fact.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:52 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
Heck NO. I'd rather live with people I hate because at least I have a place to live. Being homeless subjects you to infection risk, dirty food, getting sick, and living outside. No thanks.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:58 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmejor77 View Post
Adult with no substance abuse problems nor mental condition who just happens to dislike the people he or she lives with.

That person has two options:

1) Keep things as they are, meaning living with people he or she hates.

2) Going homeless, since there's no money for alternative place.
Actually, there is a third option that's probably the best one.

3) Instead of sitting around sulking and moaning about how miserable I was (indefinite long term view) I would start planning (short term view with an end in sight that makes it bearable) to move whatever it takes to make that happen. If I am focused enough on that goal I may not notice the misery as much either.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:45 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Heck NO. I'd rather live with people I hate because at least I have a place to live. Being homeless subjects you to infection risk, dirty food, getting sick, and living outside. No thanks.
^^^^ Agreed.

To CHOOSE homelessness is just stupid, IMO.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:52 AM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
For the night? Or for the next six months?
Yeah, the question is too vague. It's very situation specific. Length of time matters, too.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:59 AM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmejor77 View Post
The scenario of becoming homeless. Gentrification and speculative policies have made housing very expensive, some people with jobs cannot even afford to rent decent apartments , they are called "working poor". so imagine those who are unemployed...many people is forced to live with people (family or strangers) they dont want to.

So I wonder...would the prospect of living with people you hated their guts of make going homeless an option?
I don't want to derail the thread here, but some of the biggest reasons for high housing costs are with overly restrictive land use regulation and NIMBYs.

https://www.vox.com/2014/8/28/606367...re-screwing-up

Whatever else Blue America has going for it, it's done a terrible job of generating enough housing supply to accommodate all the people who might like to live there.....

This comes about primarily because coastal areas have adopted excessively strict zoning rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology