U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 04:24 PM

72 posts, read 20,594 times

Advertisements

The scenario sounds very "revellious runaway teen"...but I wonder if an adult would choose to sleep under the stars rather than living with people they hated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 04:32 PM

27,500 posts, read 59,485,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmejor77 View Post
The scenario sounds very "rebellious runaway teen"...but I wonder if an adult would choose to sleep under the stars rather than living with people they hated?
For the night? Or for the next six months?

Old 01-10-2019, 04:34 PM

5,210 posts, read 2,025,806 times
What scenario? Care to elaborate? Might make a tiny difference. On one hand you have the typical 8 year old who threatens to run away after they've been punished. On the other you have someone off their meds choosing to live under a bridge.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
For the night? Or for the next six months?

Well, I guess for some time...a few weeks or a few months, until there's enough money to pay a room somewhere else.

If that person could easily move somewhere else then there wouldnt be a dilemma, so there needs to be a strong reason why that person would make such a move.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What scenario? Care to elaborate? Might make a tiny difference. On one hand you have the typical 8 year old who threatens to run away after they've been punished. On the other you have someone off their meds choosing to live under a bridge.

The scenario of becoming homeless. Gentrification and speculative policies have made housing very expensive, some people with jobs cannot even afford to rent decent apartments , they are called "working poor". so imagine those who are unemployed...many people is forced to live with people (family or strangers) they dont want to.

So I wonder...would the prospect of living with people you hated their guts of make going homeless an option?

Old 01-10-2019, 04:58 PM

5,210 posts, read 2,025,806 times
Quote:
The scenario of becoming homeless. Gentrification and speculative policies have made housing very expensive, some people with jobs cannot even afford to rent decent apartments , they are called "working poor". so imagine those who are unemployed...many people is forced to live with people (family or strangers) they dont want to.

So I wonder...would the prospect of living with people you hated their guts of make going homeless an option?
I meant the scenario for some particular person debating homelessness.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I meant the scenario for some particular person debating homelessness.

Adult with no substance abuse problems nor mental condition who just happens to dislike the people he or she lives with.

That person has two options:

1) Keep things as they are, meaning living with people he or she hates.

2) Going homeless, since there's no money for alternative place.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:04 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,476,070 times
A lot of it depends on the situation. If I were living in my own house with someone I hated, they'd be gone. If I were living in someone else's house and the only other choice was homelessness, then the people I'd be living with are probably holding all the power and hate me too. I've been in that situation and it was miserable. I'd opt to move out regardless of whether I had another place to live.

I was in high school living with a family (not my own) when I was in that situation and I didn't move out. I came home from school to find all my stuff in the middle of the driveway at 4 in the afternoon. I would have been better off leaving before that happened.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:17 PM

2,669 posts, read 1,574,586 times
Quote:
The scenario sounds very "revellious runaway teen"...but I wonder if an adult would choose to sleep under the stars rather than living with people they hated?
No, because at least when you're in a home you would normally have regular access to a toilet, shower, and food. Anyway, if you're living in the great outdoors, how could you ensure that you wouldn't dislike whoever had the tent or park bench next to yours?

Old 01-10-2019, 09:22 PM

9 posts, read 2,188 times
I rather live with people I hate. With few exceptions I usually end up liking people more the more I get to know them anyway. Besides, I don’t like the cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or