U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
By the looks of it quite a few women care about it by the ire I caused by my comment. Jewelry is a nice way to peacock and stand out from the rest of the herd. A lot of people like to peacock, whether it's tattoos, hats, watches, fancy shoes, funky ties, etc. Just saying it probably does nothing for men and it's more for other ladies.

"Peacock"? Good Lord. How about wearing jewelry because we like it. I love crystals and enjoy wearing crystal jewelry because it's pretty and I feel drawn to certain crystals such as rose quartz. Some people on here have already explained that they wear jewelry because they enjoy it, but you can only see people's motivations as caused by others. I suppose you yourself wear a certain watch or tie or hairstyle to "peacock" yourself. Good for you. That's not why most women wear jewelry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 05:41 PM

4,016 posts, read 3,992,129 times
Most of a womans' value is tied to her physical appearance and they know it. That's why they are always trying to enhance their looks.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:16 PM

4,090 posts, read 3,081,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
No, this is not true. Basically all men have lived with women. We see our moms and our sisters roll out of bed, and we think they look better without any concealer, lip gloss, or mascara on.
So you're looking for a wife who reminds you of what your mom looks like when she rolls out of bed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Guess I'm part of the 5% then, because when I say "no makeup" I mean NO MAKEUP.

[...]

At the very most, I only wear a little lipstick and eyeliner for special occasions
Thanks for illustrating my point

Old 01-16-2019, 08:49 PM

2,856 posts, read 1,246,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Guess I'm part of the 5% then, because when I say "no makeup" I mean NO MAKEUP. I am sitting here right now with ZERO products on my face, not even lotion, and that's how I am 99% of the time. As a natural redhead, makeup looks weird on me anyway... even the product lines designed for redheads don't look quite right, and end up making me look either ghostly (since I'm super pale without my freckles showing) or like a clown.

At the very most, I only wear a little lipstick and eyeliner for special occasions; but on a daily basis, my routine is literally to splash water on my face and go. It's probably part of the reason my skin is so clear, and I am often mistaken for younger than I am. Slathering products on your face every day just can't be good for you in the long-run.
Iím 63 and Iíve been wearing make up for over 45 years and my skin is fine my foundation is light and has a sunscreen which is needed in Arizona. I feel blessed to be married to a man who loves me for who I am and doesnít feel the need to criticize or dictate what I should wear or how I groom myself, or what hairstyle I should have. Wearing make up makes me happy and my husband loves that Iím happy.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:04 PM
Status: "The best view is after the hardest climb." (set 24 days ago)

42,597 posts, read 34,048,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Iím 63 and Iíve been wearing make up for over 45 years and my skin is fine my foundation is light and has a sunscreen which is needed in Arizona. I feel blessed to be married to a man who loves me for who I am and doesnít feel the need to criticize or dictate what I should wear or how I groom myself, or what hairstyle I should have. Wearing make up makes me happy and my husband loves that Iím happy.
You win the internet today!

Old 01-17-2019, 11:43 PM

5,774 posts, read 4,660,951 times
Women are trying to impress other women far more than they're ever trying to impress men. Bet on it.

They say they're not. They say "I wear makeup for me!!!!!"

Old 01-18-2019, 10:34 AM

992 posts, read 303,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Women are trying to impress other women far more than they're ever trying to impress men. Bet on it.

Isn't that kind of bisexual/lesbian?

Old 01-18-2019, 11:20 AM

18,381 posts, read 15,456,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

They're not trying to impress anybody, that's what you don't get. I just had a 91 year old in the gym for rehab right before lunch, but before we brought her down she said "Get my lipstick and powder out of the nightstand drawer" and she put them on before we brought her to the gym from her room. This woman isn't trying to impress anyone, it just makes her feel good to have her lipstick and powder on. On the days the hairdresser is here, the wheelchairs are lined up an hour before she gets here because so many elderly disabled women want to make sure they can get their hair colored or permed or cut. Not to impress anyone, simply to like the way they look and to look their best. Why do some have to attribute everything people do to some negative motive?

Old 01-18-2019, 11:56 AM

10,481 posts, read 6,633,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They're not trying to impress anybody, that's what you don't get. I just had a 91 year old in the gym for rehab right before lunch, but before we brought her down she said "Get my lipstick and powder out of the nightstand drawer" and she put them on before we brought her to the gym from her room. This woman isn't trying to impress anyone, it just makes her feel good to have her lipstick and powder on. On the days the hairdresser is here, the wheelchairs are lined up an hour before she gets here because so many elderly disabled women want to make sure they can get their hair colored or permed or cut. Not to impress anyone, simply to like the way they look and to look their best. Why do some have to attribute everything people do to some negative motive?
Or to smugly, mockingly, try to tear down a person's autonomy by telling them that nothing they do is for themselves, their choices are all for other people. Everything they do and everything they are, is for others. Way to invalidate individuals. It's not cool. Particularly in the sense that when a man does something with his appearance, it's seen as an expression of his identity, but when a woman does something with her appearance it's "who are you trying to impress?"

How 'bout people just do whatever they want for whatever reasons matter to them specifically and it's nunya damn bid'niss "why." Hm. Crazy, I know.

(EDIT: Read this in the tone of "I agree with you, and furthermore..." -- I just realized it comes off like I was arguing back at you or something. My response here is more of a general than a reply to you specifically.)

Old 01-18-2019, 12:57 PM

1,042 posts, read 435,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Or to smugly, mockingly, try to tear down a person's autonomy by telling them that nothing they do is for themselves, their choices are all for other people. Everything they do and everything they are, is for others. Way to invalidate individuals. It's not cool. Particularly in the sense that when a man does something with his appearance, it's seen as an expression of his identity, but when a woman does something with her appearance it's "who are you trying to impress?"
Bingo. I can't describe it (though the nursing home story above resonates), but yes, I just generally feel better with makeup (foundation, brow pencil), and earrings, even if I'm just hanging out at home.

Also agree 100% with the posts explaining that this supposedly preferred "natural" look is really just well-done neutral makeup. I have mild rosacea, and how I was treated in public - by both men and women - once I started wearing foundation was like night and day. No more "what's wrong?" "Are you OK?" "Wow you have rosy cheeks" (all in patronizing tones). And contrary to the "less makeup!" pleas here, I get treated even better if I'm obviously wearing eye makeup (shadow, liner, mascara) & lip gloss, and that includes extreme performance makeup (see my username). I see it with other women too - if they are dressed super nice or "hot" and have makeup to match, they might as well be wearing a crown. So say what you want about men's "natural" preference, actions and reactions don't support that assertion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology