Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 04:50 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,122,240 times

Advertisements

I admit that I am kind of lazy. I love wearing pony tails and no make up. My handsome hubby takes longer to get ready than I do. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 05:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm totally down with more men getting into skincare and some cosmetics (maybe not full on glam rock, but there's a happy medium.) Daily sunscreen would be a good start.
Prince always could carry off that eyeliner though!

I agree, they should at least wear sunscreen.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:16 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm totally down with more men getting into skincare and some cosmetics (maybe not full on glam rock, but there's a happy medium.) Daily sunscreen would be a good start.
To me, women and their skincare/makeup routines are just an extension of them taking better care of themselves in every way. It's women who get healthcare when they need to and seek out friends/therapists when something is bugging them. Men....not so much on ANY of those counts!

Old 01-22-2019, 08:08 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
My Dad has three laws regarding women. They're like the laws of thermodynamics... they're always true. See Dad's Third Law of Women:

1. Sometimes women just want to move furniture around. And you'd might as well go ahead and do it.

2. If three or more women are in the same room... there's gonna be a fight.

3. Women with straight hair want curly hair. Women with curly hair want straight hair.

I've never been in a situation like that. I HAVE been in the situation of two's company, three's a crowd", and I'm the odd one out...but never a fight.

And I've had wonderful friendships where we were the 3 amigos, and 3 wheels on the tricycle.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:46 PM

987 posts, read 778,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I am commenting only to be amused at your unintended typo comment here.

You said, "a known erroneous zone." (Rather than erogenous zone) Auto correct, Ruth? Anyhow, it's funny.

Erroneous earlobes. YOUR EARLOBES ARE IN ERROR, MA'AM!!

Thanks for the chuckle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They say they don't care, but they react to a shiny glint around the earlobes (drawing their attention, subconsciously, to a known erroneous zone), or s splash of color, there. A well-placed necklace draws their attention to the chest area.

They may say they don't care, but they're uncontrollably enticed by jewelry.
This! I have tested this theory and it really is true.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:47 PM

987 posts, read 778,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What men say they prefer, and what they actually react positively to, can be very different things. Women notice this dichotomy.

Women are more intuitive than men IMHO...

Old 01-24-2019, 11:10 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Girls/Women are taught that LOOKS matter.

They are "groomed" (pun intended) to enhance their (inferior - as in male and female peacocks) looks for the benefit of attracting the most desirable man.

Most girls are taught how to sit, how to "do" their hair, how to enhance their outfits with accessories; how color on the lips is desirable (there is a book on this subject called "The Beauty Myth") - the enhanced red lips are supposed to suggest the "other" area (subliminally).

It's all very complex and there is lots of social and familial pressure to conform to whatever is being suggested as desirable - it's a survival strategy.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:31 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I've never been in a situation like that. I HAVE been in the situation of two's company, three's a crowd", and I'm the odd one out...but never a fight.

And I've had wonderful friendships where we were the 3 amigos, and 3 wheels on the tricycle.
I think he's speaking kinda metaphorically.

If there are three or more women in a room, there *will* be conflict. Maybe not a literal fight, but conflict of some sort. It's often subtle... but it's there

Old 01-25-2019, 05:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

They are "groomed" (pun intended) to enhance their (inferior - as in male and female peacocks) looks for the benefit of attracting the most desirable man.

Most girls are taught how to sit, how to "do" their hair, how to enhance their outfits with accessories; how color on the lips is desirable (there is a book on this subject called "The Beauty Myth") - the enhanced red lips are supposed to suggest the "other" area (subliminally).

It's all very complex and there is lots of social and familial pressure to conform to whatever is being suggested as desirable - it's a survival strategy.
Oh brother, we are not birds and womens' looks are not "inferior" to mens' looks. Before or after grooming.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:20 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

Do tell? And men fall for that?...for that reason? I thought men didn't like makeup and red lipstick and all?

So instead of "does the carpet match the drapes?" it's ....well, you come up with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology