U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 12:20 PM

4,368 posts, read 1,574,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I think that perhaps your view of what "most" men like might be a bit skewed by the other men in your life. People tend to surround themselves with people they have things in common with so it's not surprising to me at all that most of the men in your life have a similar taste in women. There's nothing wrong with that, but that doesn't define most men in the world. There are indeed a lot of men out there who prefer a woman who does a lot of priming and primping of her appearance. And as someone else pointed out, women don't primarily do this just to attract or please men. They do it because they like it and they like how they look when they do it. Most likely, they wind up attracting men who also like it, and your inability to see that there are plenty of men who do is a little short sighted. How about you just let women do what they want, because I'm pretty sure they don't care what you think? You've started this topic as though you're bestowing your greater wisdom on us ignorant women for our sake. Guess what? We don't care.

FTR I don't often wear makeup, I've never had plastic surgery, and my hair is naturally curly. But I totally support any woman's right to do whatever she wants with her body regardless of what some men might think.
I don't think OP was questioning the RIGHT for anyone to do whatever they want with makeup or dress.
I think it was more curiosity about the motivation. It's a good question.

Body adornment and jewelry goes back a long way into the dim and distant past, even into Paleolithic times.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:22 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,222,933 times
Wish the OP included jewelry so we could discuss about that topic. Never cared for accessories and I think the majority of men feel the same.

Old Today, 12:39 PM

74,536 posts, read 66,170,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
As a straight man, I can tell you that most straight men, myself included, prefer women not wearing makeup at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm attracted to straight women, not butch women, but I like women to be low maintenance, not fuss with makeup or curling their hair or doing their nails or plastic surgery. I don't want my future wife to waste time and money on her appearance.

Like I said, I don't like butch women either. But couldn't long hair, and maybe a modest skirt or dress sometimes be enough femininity?

Makeup must just be big business and their marketing. Or maybe women wear makeup to get attention from other women.
OP, we've had several threads on this topic before, including one that was a poll. A lot of men WANT women to wear makeup, to enhance their looks. Otherwise, they complain about "ugly" women. We see a lot of that on the Seattle and Bay Area forums. Women in those areas tend to be more down-to-earth and WYSIWYG.

The whole issue re: men's opinions on this score, is just a matter of...well...opinion. The majority opinion on this sub-forum in the past has been that men prefer makeup. So....whatever. Guys in your circles may prefer makeup-free, men in other circles don't.

Whatever. You can't claim to represent the majority of men, just saying.

Old Today, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Wish the OP included jewelry so we could discuss about that topic. Never cared for accessories and I think the majority of men feel the same.
What men say they prefer, and what they actually react positively to, can be very different things. Women notice this dichotomy.

Old Today, 12:42 PM

2,851 posts, read 1,231,546 times
How refreshing to find a guy who treasures sagging jowls, crepey necks, heavy sagging eyelids and lined faces! Oh yes, and sagging breasts! And maybe a big, bumpy nose. Saddlebag thighs and rolls of fat on the stomach. And a pale, unadorned face with no visible eyebrows or eyelashes and colorless lips.

Women, take heart! This is good news! And this dude is not even "taken"!

I put jewelry and painted nails in a separate category since I've never met a guy who cared about that.

Old Today, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Years ago, back when I thought it was cool to read Cosmo mag, they published the results of a survey done in a men's magazine. The survey showed a random group of men three photos of the same woman, one with full, very heavy makeup, the other with full but natural looking makeup, and one with so little makeup, to the untrained eye it looked like none at all (I think it was just foundation and maybe a bit of blush). Most men chose the full but natural looking makeup as the best looking or most attractive. Some thought the girl with barely any makeup looked ill, and she wasn't even completely barefaced! Some of the men didn't even realize all three were the same woman. Men are so clueless when it comes to makeup sometimes, yet some feel the need to make commentary on it and give us advice about it.
This.

Old Today, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
How refreshing to find a guy who treasures sagging jowls, crepey necks, heavy sagging eyelids and lined faces! Oh yes, and sagging breasts! And maybe a big, bumpy nose. Saddlebag thighs and rolls of fat on the stomach. And a pale, unadorned face with no visible eyebrows or eyelashes and colorless lips.

I put jewelry and painted nails in a separate category since I've never met a guy who cared about that.
They say they don't care, but they react to a shiny glint around the earlobes (drawing their attention, subconsciously, to a known erroneous zone), or s splash of color, there. A well-placed necklace draws their attention to the chest area.

They may say they don't care, but they're uncontrollably enticed by jewelry.

Old Today, 12:59 PM

10,409 posts, read 6,580,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They say they don't care, but they react to a shiny glint around the earlobes (drawing their attention, subconsciously, to a known erroneous zone), or s splash of color, there. A well-placed necklace draws their attention to the chest area.

They may say they don't care, but they're uncontrollably enticed by jewelry.
I am commenting only to be amused at your unintended typo comment here.

You said, "a known erroneous zone." (Rather than erogenous zone) Auto correct, Ruth? Anyhow, it's funny.

Erroneous earlobes. YOUR EARLOBES ARE IN ERROR, MA'AM!!

Thanks for the chuckle!

Old Today, 02:31 PM

28,634 posts, read 44,021,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Maybe your mistake is that women don't do that stuff PRIMARILY to suit men. Whether for right or for wrong it is a much broader societal thing and at the same time a very personal thing. Women will do exactly as they want to whether a particular man likes it or not so....don't worry yourself about it!

You can find a woman who is low maintenance but don't think you can change a woman who is high maintenance. Oh - and it's not really about "femininity", either.
Bingo, and reps for you!

Personally, I'm not into all of that stuff. I don't wear ANY makeup on a daily basis (just for special occasions), don't even own a pair of high heels, and wear jeans most days including to work. And my hair is naturally curly, so definitely no need for curling it. The only thing I do regularly is paint my nails, and that's mostly because it's hard to keep them clean - easier to just cover them, lol. But when I do get all "gussied up," I assure you it is NOT to attract or please a man. I'm happily single, and the men I do date aren't concerned with such things. If they were, we probably wouldn't be a good match anyway. I am who I am; take it or leave it!

And yeah, I've never been accused of looking "masculine," despite my lack of makeup and primping. Femininity is more in how you carry yourself, not how you dress or paint your face. But I think a lot of women do equate these things, and feel like they HAVE to wear makeup to look womanly. Also, I know women who simply have insecurities (like if their skin is naturally blotchy) they choose to cover. To each their own.

Last edited by gizmo980; Today at 02:43 PM..

Old Today, 02:34 PM

28,634 posts, read 44,021,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Just because a man doesn't care about these things, that doesn't mean they "treasure" them either. Perhaps he simply looks beyond the physical details, and appreciates the "sum value" of a woman he likes? I'm in my 40's, so finding a man who isn't a little flabby, or has all of his hair, is getting more and more difficult... but while it's nice to look at a rock-hard chiseled body, that isn't my concern when I'm actually looking to date someone. I care more about their inner qualities, and the general appeal of their outer qualities. I can definitely still find a man attractive despite a few "flaws," and hopefully most of them can too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology