U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:34 PM

8,376 posts, read 13,064,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
When it comes to jewelry it's for the sake of other women.

When it comes to makeup it's for the sake of men.
Yet another man who thinks he knows and understands women better than we know ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I don't think OP was questioning the RIGHT for anyone to do whatever they want with makeup or dress.
No, I don't think so either, but I do think the OP was trying to basically suggest that women who do a lot to their appearance have the wrong approach and that it's unnecessary because he knows what most men want.

Quote:
I think it was more curiosity about the motivation. It's a good question.
Why is it a good question? The answer is surely pretty obvious: because they want/like to. It's really not that difficult to figure out.

Old Today, 02:43 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,676,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Maybe your mistake is that women don't do that stuff PRIMARILY to suit men. Whether for right or for wrong it is a much broader societal thing and at the same time a very personal thing. Women will do exactly as they want to whether a particular man likes it or not so....don't worry yourself about it!

You can find a woman who is low maintenance but don't think you can change a woman who is high maintenance. Oh - and it's not really about "femininity", either.
As the young folks say, "preach!"

Old Today, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Wish the OP included jewelry so we could discuss about that topic. Never cared for accessories and I think the majority of men feel the same.
Oh yes, please, let's open this up to every single thing women wear that you personally don't care for and why you (wrongly) think they wear them, because we all care so much what you think about what we wear and why.

Old Today, 02:53 PM

19,805 posts, read 13,042,116 times
Quote:

No. Where do you get your ideas?

Old Today, 02:56 PM

4,565 posts, read 1,918,491 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Rubbish
Yep.

Old Today, 02:57 PM

19,805 posts, read 13,042,116 times
Well, speaking as a woman who has worn makeup for decades, I will tell you why I wear makeup. I like how I look with makeup. It is as simple as that.

Why do I choose the jewelry that I wear? I like it with what I am wearing. It’s as simple as that.

Now my question to men reading this thread: why in the world do you care?

Old Today, 02:58 PM

4,565 posts, read 1,918,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa2uk View Post
oh yes, please, let's open this up to every single thing women wear that you personally don't care for and why you (wrongly) think they wear them, because we all care so much what you think about what we wear and why.
+1.

Old Today, 03:04 PM

21,805 posts, read 23,158,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, speaking as a woman who has worn makeup for decades, I will tell you why I wear makeup. I like how I look with makeup. It is as simple as that.

Why do I choose the jewelry that I wear? I like it with what I am wearing. Itís as simple as that.

Now my question to men reading this thread: why in the world do you care?
Exactly. Some women love makeup, some don't care. Some women love jewelry, others don't. Some women (and men) care about fashion, others just want to get dressed. There's no real motivation to it other than interest. The fact that the OP posted this in Psychology and not Fashion and Beauty is probably supposed to be meaningful, but meh.

Old Today, 03:15 PM

5,929 posts, read 3,345,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Yet another man who thinks he knows and understands women better than we know ourselves.
I am thinking itís more about some menís insecurity.They donít want their women looking attractive to other men. Itís like that silly thread about some guys not wanting attractive partners because they are likely to cheat, or dump them when the next eligible guy comes along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology