U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM

378 posts, read 94,611 times

Advertisements

when i started dating, i thought it was 'the thing' to do as part of dating. i've run into men who want more of what seems to be already there (so didn't make sense to date), men who told me they didn't like make-up (more about too much makeup), and then sometimes it's just fun on my own to play with makeup because at least i'm aware it's just for fun, like anything else creative. everyone's got their own preferences; no worries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM

303 posts, read 158,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
As a straight man, I can tell you that most straight men, myself included, prefer women not wearing makeup at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm attracted to straight women, not butch women, but I like women to be low maintenance, not fuss with makeup or curling their hair or doing their nails or plastic surgery. I don't want my future wife to waste time and money on her appearance.

Like I said, I don't like butch women either. But couldn't long hair, and maybe a modest skirt or dress sometimes be enough femininity?

Makeup must just be big business and their marketing. Or maybe women wear makeup to get attention from other women.
I feel like excess of anything is bad

a lot of times no or modest makeup is great

but I do like them to dress up sometimes too

but you are right

no amount of makeup or hair do will make an ugly man/woman any better

IT IS A BIG BUSINESS , preys on insecurity of women

just like men have issues with penis size, height , muscle mass etc

Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,062,239 times
I find it very odd when women who need very little to no makeup to look extremely good and very attractive - as they have very natural great good looks - still plaster their eyes with TONS of often garish and completely unneeded heavy eye makeup which detracts from their very natural great looks.

Singer Demi Lovato looks very beautiful without any makeup whatsoever - her face has very attractive natural good looks - but she insists on plastering her eyes and face with TONS of makeup - and often garish eye makeup.

Singer Carrie Underwood wears TONS of garish eye makeup and facial makeup - when she actually needs very little to no makeup.

Many women (not entertainers) are enhanced and look much better with a little bit of makeup.

Since this is the Psychology forum, psychologically I think women who wear TONS of eye and facial makeup when they actually have very attractive natural good looks without makeup, do so because they seem to not find themselves as attractive as they very much are and probably feel internally that maybe their personality or their essence as a person falls short and doesn't measure up in certain ways, thereby they think they need more enhancement than they actually do.

Last edited by matisse12; Yesterday at 06:08 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM
Status: "The best view is after the hardest climb." (set 11 days ago)

42,394 posts, read 33,862,007 times
Quote:
As a straight man, I can tell you that most straight men, myself included, prefer women not wearing makeup at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm attracted to straight women, not butch women, but I like women to be low maintenance, not fuss with makeup or curling their hair or doing their nails or plastic surgery. I don't want my future wife to waste time and money on her appearance.

Like I said, I don't like butch women either. But couldn't long hair, and maybe a modest skirt or dress sometimes be enough femininity?

Makeup must just be big business and their marketing. Or maybe women wear makeup to get attention from other women.
You do you and marry who you like, and I hope you both have similar values because that's the most important thing in a marriage in my opinion.

But I just wanted you to know that my husband is quite the straight man, and he doesn't want a LOT of make up but he does like for me to wear some. And I'm no dog - and I have good skin - so it's not like I "have" to wear makeup to look healthy, but he likes a bit of it. Along with nicely styled hair, and well kept (and painted) nails on fingers and toes.

Of course, I already liked all that, but more on that in a minute.

He doesn't consider it a waste of time or money - in fact, I went through this phase where I quit having my nails done because it was a hassle. I kept my natural nails as neat and attractive as I could but one day he said, "You know, I have no problem paying for you to have your nails done. I really like it."

As for long hair or a dress or skirt - sorry, I LOVE being feminine and I look feminine, but I hate long hair on myself and I haven't worn a skirt or dress in years because I don't like to. Lots of women can and do look quite feminine with short hair, or in pants, or even with both.

One more thing - just so you know - I was 42 when I met my husband. He was 47. We were both quite set in our own ways. I already had short hair, already wore makeup, already had my nails professionally done, already had my own style and guess who that was for - ME. Not any man. Not any other woman. ME. I LIKE playing with makeup.

Oh and I also just had my first cosmetic surgery procedure - at age 56, I had some sun spots removed from my hands and yes, that cost some money too. Oh well. I wanted to do it and so I did it.

I do agree that some women wear more makeup than is attractive. But so what? That's their call, they must enjoy it, so more power to 'em. I don't wear much makeup but I do love a bold lip color myself!

Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

29,076 posts, read 18,400,398 times
It's the current fashion.

A few hundred years ago men wore make-up, curled their hair and wore wigs.

And just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that other men feel the same.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM

6,414 posts, read 2,482,037 times
It makes me feel good, I'm more confident when I feel good. I think of it as war paint. Mine also has spf 15, so shut up.

Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM

29,076 posts, read 18,400,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
It makes me feel good, I'm more confident when I feel good. I think of it as war paint. Mine also has spf 15, so shut up.
Despite the fact that I am normally in a ponytail and no make-up, I DO love doing my hair and make-up.

I can be a different person depending on what I do, and that's fun for me.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM

6,414 posts, read 2,482,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Despite the fact that I am normally in a ponytail and no make-up, I DO love doing my hair and make-up.

I can be a different person depending on what I do, and that's fun for me.
And that's why the question was puzzling at first. It's not about anyone else, I've never had a guy tell me: "wow you're a genius at matching your foundation to skin tone!"
It's about me.

Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM

289 posts, read 96,492 times
Quote:

I do it because it makes me feel better about myself. Source: I'm a 20-something woman who wears makeup, has hair extensions, has had plastic surgery and colors/curls her hair/does her nails. You can say men "prefer the no makeup look" but my life experiences since about age 13 has proven differently.

Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM

305 posts, read 83,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
How refreshing to find a guy who treasures sagging jowls, crepey necks, heavy sagging eyelids and lined faces! Oh yes, and sagging breasts! And maybe a big, bumpy nose. Saddlebag thighs and rolls of fat on the stomach. And a pale, unadorned face with no visible eyebrows or eyelashes and colorless lips.

Women, take heart! This is good news! And this dude is not even "taken"!

I put jewelry and painted nails in a separate category since I've never met a guy who cared about that.
I've met (and dated) more than a few men who had thing for well-cared for hands and feet with painted nails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology