U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM

19,806 posts, read 13,050,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Exactly. Some women love makeup, some don't care. Some women love jewelry, others don't. Some women (and men) care about fashion, others just want to get dressed. There's no real motivation to it other than interest. The fact that the OP posted this in Psychology and not Fashion and Beauty is probably supposed to be meaningful, but meh.
Meh, is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM

132 posts, read 55,544 times
Men always say they don't like women with makeup. But then women who don't wear makeup are considered ugly and not making an effort. Also, men often can't tell when a woman is actually wearing makeup. And all of the women considered "hot" are usually slathered in makeup.

And maybe women don't want long hair. Or don't want to wear dresses, modest or not.

Men don't get to make a woman's entire worth about her looks and then be annoyed when she puts effort into her looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
How refreshing to find a guy who treasures sagging jowls, crepey necks, heavy sagging eyelids and lined faces! Oh yes, and sagging breasts! And maybe a big, bumpy nose. Saddlebag thighs and rolls of fat on the stomach. And a pale, unadorned face with no visible eyebrows or eyelashes and colorless lips.

Women, take heart! This is good news! And this dude is not even "taken"!

I put jewelry and painted nails in a separate category since I've never met a guy who cared about that.
Since often the men making comments probably have all of the above-- including the saggy breasts but adding hairy backs and noses and a male organ hidden in fat-- yet thinks on him it's acceptable but on a woman it's the end of the world, yes, it is refreshing.

Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM

74,554 posts, read 66,196,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I am commenting only to be amused at your unintended typo comment here.

You said, "a known erroneous zone." (Rather than erogenous zone) Auto correct, Ruth? Anyhow, it's funny.

Erroneous earlobes. YOUR EARLOBES ARE IN ERROR, MA'AM!!

Thanks for the chuckle!
I just saw that, myself. Was that you, who repped me? lol. That darned auto-correct! It wasn't my fault, officer...

Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM

28,638 posts, read 44,031,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Kidding about the makeup part. Dead serious about the jewelry opinion.
And most of us "dead seriously" disagree... in fact, the mere thought that I wear jewelry "for other women" is laughable! I wear 3 pieces (if you count the earrings as one) of jewelry on a daily basis, and it's never even crossed my mind how other women might feel about them. I wear a simple cocktail ring on my right hand because it's pretty, and gives me something to fidget with since I have ADD. The necklace is usually a Star of David because, well, the same reason Christians might wear a crucifix necklace. And the earrings? I have 3-5 holes in each ear, which would close up if I didn't wear something in them. That's honestly as deep as it gets; no psychoanalysis necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Wish the OP included jewelry so we could discuss about that topic. Never cared for accessories and I think the majority of men feel the same.
Why the need to discuss it, though? Do you think women will stop wearing jewelry/accessories just because some men (particularly strangers online) don't like it? I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't give a hoot what you or any other men think about it. Unless you want to give me a nice piece of jewelry, of course... then we can talk.

Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM

2,416 posts, read 902,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
As a straight man, I can tell you that most straight men, myself included, prefer women not wearing makeup at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm attracted to straight women, not butch women, but I like women to be low maintenance, not fuss with makeup or curling their hair or doing their nails or plastic surgery. I don't want my future wife to waste time and money on her appearance.

Like I said, I don't like butch women either. But couldn't long hair, and maybe a modest skirt or dress sometimes be enough femininity?

Makeup must just be big business and their marketing. Or maybe women wear makeup to get attention from other women.
Women can be subject to ridicule if they do not conform to the image of an ideal beauty. Not all women are herded into it though as we mature.

Just look at men's and women's magazines. Skin, hair, makeup are photo-shopped, air-brushed, sprayed and lubed. Playboy's version of women are made-up and photos are electronically altered to look like what the
magazine editor proposes a man should want. Cosmopolitan features women on the cover and in ads that are made-up in the newest cosmetic products. The message is don't wrinkle, don't have zits, don't block your pores, don't have grey hair, don't be curvy, don't perspire.

I agree with you about less is more. There are women like the one you want. Where you search could be in a different place than where you are right now.

Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,062,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

I wear a simple cocktail ring on my right hand because it's pretty, and gives me something to fidget with since I have ADD. The necklace is usually a Star of David because, well, the same reason Christians might wear a crucifix necklace. And the earrings? I have 3-5 holes in each ear, which would close up if I didn't wear something in them. That's honestly as deep as it gets; no psychoanalysis needed.
There are all kinds of cultural, societal, and psychological reasons and significances as to why you chose to get 3 to 5 holes placed in each ear (and earrings) and why you choose to wear a religious symbol at your neck on your body, and why you think a cocktail ring is pretty and attractive and something you want to be associated with.

Old Yesterday, 07:41 PM

14,000 posts, read 7,586,044 times
Some men are very afraid of "being sold a bill of goods". They see makeup, and any form of undergarment or clothing that enhances as being fake. I guess they don't realize that women come as a package - their own attributes as well as all the ways they choose to present themselves - take it or leave it!

Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM

28,638 posts, read 44,031,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
There are all kinds of cultural, societal, and psychological reasons and significances as to why you chose to get 3 to 5 holes placed in each ear (and earrings) and why you choose to wear a religious symbol at your neck on your body, and why you think a cocktail ring is pretty and attractive and something you want to be associated with.
Perhaps, but I have never really thought about them! So in MY mind, it's really quite random. But since this is the psychology forum, here you go...

- I got my first ear piercing around age 9-10, like many young girls (as a reward for good grades on my report card). Got the next two holes while traveling with classmates in Israel, because it was the "cool" thing to do at that time; we're talking early-90s, when that was a popular trend for teens. As for the other one or two, I honestly don't even remember when or where they were acquired. So I don't think any of that really counts as psychological or cultural, but maybe does fall under the "societal" category.

- I choose to wear a religious symbol around my neck because it somehow makes me feel protected and connected to my heritage. It's also an easy way for us (Jewish people) to identify each other, since we aren't always obvious by looks. Why we want to identify each other is hard to explain to a gentile, assuming you are one, so I'll just leave it at that.

- As for the ring, ummmm; is there really any deep psychology behind liking pretty/shiny things? I just think it looks nice, that's all. The fidgeting aspect is probably more important in my case, because I get anxious when it's not on my finger. Again, that would be hard to explain if you don't have ADD + OCD like I do. Guess that fits on this forum, lol!

P.S. The cocktail ring I currently wear was $12 at a pawn shop; just in case you were thinking fancy/expensive, hence the "you want to be associated with" comment.

Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,062,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

Quote:

Perhaps, but I have never really thought about them! So in MY mind, it's really quite random. But since this is the psychology forum, here you go...

- I got my first ear piercing around age 9-10, like many young girls (as a reward for good grades on my report card). Got the next two holes while traveling with classmates in Israel, because it was the "cool" thing to do at that time; we're talking early-90s, when that was a popular trend for teens. As for the other one or two, I honestly don't even remember when or where they were acquired. So I don't think any of that really counts as psychological or cultural, but maybe does fall under the "societal" category.

- I choose to wear a religious symbol around my neck because it somehow makes me feel protected and connected to my heritage. It's also an easy way for us (Jewish people) to identify each other, since we aren't always obvious by looks. Why we want to identify each other is hard to explain to a gentile, assuming you are one, so I'll just leave it at that.

- As for the ring, ummmm; is there really any deep psychology behind liking pretty/shiny things? I just think it looks nice, that's all. The fidgeting aspect is probably more important in my case, because I get anxious when it's not on my finger. Again, that would be hard to explain if you don't have ADD + OCD like I do. Guess that fits on this forum, lol!

P.S. The cocktail ring I currently wear was $12 at a pawn shop; just in case you were thinking fancy/expensive, hence the "you want to be associated with" comment.
You just listed all kinds of psychological reasons and significances for the things you chose and choose to do, along with societal and cultural reasons for all of the above -

the psychological reasons for the above include wanting to be 'cool', wanting strong group affiliations, wanting to be included, wanting to feel safe and protected, wanting to have a strong religious affiliation as a fulfillment of various needs.

(as for the cocktail ring, I thought the cocktail ring to be inexpensive as a basis for my comment, not that it was any more that a few dollars)

Last edited by matisse12; Yesterday at 08:49 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM

1,800 posts, read 1,224,039 times
Quote:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't give a hoot what you or any other men think about it. Unless you want to give me a nice piece of jewelry, of course... then we can talk.
By the looks of it quite a few women care about it by the ire I caused by my comment. Jewelry is a nice way to peacock and stand out from the rest of the herd. A lot of people like to peacock, whether it's tattoos, hats, watches, fancy shoes, funky ties, etc. Just saying it probably does nothing for men and it's more for other ladies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology