U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 03:03 PM

9,781 posts, read 13,686,867 times

Advertisements

You asked if was normal. Normal meaning commonplace, then yes, violence in revenge fantasies is common and normal.
And while the theft may seem petty to you it may not have felt that way to the OP, it may have left him feeling violated, threatened, or have been much more than just a small financial setback. IMO it's not possible for others to determine how trivial the offense might have been to the OP.
Please note my earlier statement "I think however if you constantly dwell on those types of thoughts, or spend a lot of time embellishing scenarios, or actually find yourself considering doing anything about them you should seek help."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 03:58 PM

5,230 posts, read 9,582,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You asked if was normal. Normal meaning commonplace, then yes, violence in revenge fantasies is common and normal.
And while the theft may seem petty to you it may not have felt that way to the OP, it may have left him feeling violated, threatened, or have been much more than just a small financial setback. IMO it's not possible for others to determine how trivial the offense might have been to the OP.
Please note my earlier statement "I think however if you constantly dwell on those types of thoughts, or spend a lot of time embellishing scenarios, or actually find yourself considering doing anything about them you should seek help."
Yes, thoughts of revenge can be sweet but best to move on...negative thoughts can harm YOU much more than the person who harmed you. Why compromise your well-being? Then the transgressor will have harmed you more they have...come up with the most diabolic revenge scenario you can imagine...really feel it..then move on to loving-kindness toward your self and all the good people in the world.

You'll be much happier that way, I suspect...

Old 01-13-2019, 04:21 PM

8,428 posts, read 13,128,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Then we are using different definitions of "normal". I suspected you would say this so if you notice, I used only the world "healthy" in my last post to avoid confusion.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/normal

This is the definition I was using for normal: "b : free from mental illness : mentally sound".

It is not mentally sound to "regularly" fantasize about drilling holes into people and leaving them severely disabled for life.

Quote:
And while the theft may seem petty to you it may not have felt that way to the OP, it may have left him feeling violated, threatened, or have been much more than just a small financial setback.
I've had things stolen from me before, not inexpensive things either, and I did not fantasize about drilling holes into the thief. That's not healthy, and anyone who thinks it is should seek therapy.

Quote:
IMO it's not possible for others to determine how trivial the offense might have been to the OP.
I am not trivializing it, I just think it's way out of proportion to fantasize about leaving someone permanently and severely disabled because of it.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:49 PM

5,595 posts, read 6,562,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king01 View Post
Hi,

I am a 23 year old male. University student.

As any person sometimes I am bothered by things people do to me with ill intentions. Sometimes I fantasize about doing very, very cruel things to them. A lot worse than what they do to me. Most of the things I imagine are physical tortures. This happens from time to time, specially when I focus on the things they have done to me. Is this kind of behavior normal in the majority of people/males or should I try to change this behavior?

I carry a weapon for self-defense, so I have done the psychological test for it multiple times, which I guess means I am not crazy. Outside of my fantasies I am a very calmed person. I always avoid fighting, and getting angry to the point of losing control almost never happens. So I wonder why there is such a huge difference between my behavior in real life and what I fantasize sometimes.
When you banked this alias in 2015, nearly four years ago, you claimed to be a 21 year old university student.

Quote:
I am a man, 21 years old. I have never had a girlfriend or even kissed a girl...Right now I liked a girl who I saw when I was 18 years old. I am 21 now. She studies in the same university.
Am I different from the rest of people?

You cannot have been 21 in Sept. of 2015, but only be 23 now in Jan. of 2019. One or both of these statements is/are untrue. This alias has lain dormant for nearly four years, until now. Your first post in 2015 was designed to be provocative, questioning your 'normality'...as is your current thread.

Where are you, that a psych eval is required to carry a gun? No place where I have lived in the US has required one, and I have legally carried for more than 40 years. Are you in Canada, or a country in Europe? Many/most of those places seem to have some fairly strict gun laws. Which universities in those countries allow students to carry weapons? Where are you that time is so warped that you only age two years while the rest of us age four?

I would have thought a 'university student' would have been a little smarter, and not so easily and obviously caught out telling untruths.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:15 PM

2,778 posts, read 1,859,039 times
My revenge fantasies are quite elaborate and involve the use of my imaginary superpowers, including time travel.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:35 PM

21,446 posts, read 15,977,524 times
Edit: Bleh. In light of Zymer's post, I realize I'm wasting my time on someone who is not actually looking for a real answer to a real problem that they are having.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 01-13-2019 at 07:45 PM..

Old 01-14-2019, 10:14 AM

5 posts, read 1,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
When you banked this alias in 2015, nearly four years ago, you claimed to be a 21 year old university student.

Am I different from the rest of people?

You cannot have been 21 in Sept. of 2015, but only be 23 now in Jan. of 2019. One or both of these statements is/are untrue. This alias has lain dormant for nearly four years, until now. Your first post in 2015 was designed to be provocative, questioning your 'normality'...as is your current thread.

Where are you, that a psych eval is required to carry a gun? No place where I have lived in the US has required one, and I have legally carried for more than 40 years. Are you in Canada, or a country in Europe? Many/most of those places seem to have some fairly strict gun laws. Which universities in those countries allow students to carry weapons? Where are you that time is so warped that you only age two years while the rest of us age four?

I would have thought a 'university student' would have been a little smarter, and not so easily and obviously caught out telling untruths.
Why would I use real information on a forum account? I am 23 as of right now. I try to hide my identity in the internet. I live in a country in latin america. I carry the weapon concealed. The university doesnt know.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:39 AM

9,285 posts, read 5,086,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
My revenge fantasies are quite elaborate and involve the use of my imaginary superpowers, including time travel.

Sounds like one I have where I'm Columbo's primary suspect in a murder (a rapist had his head blown off with a 12 gauge while he was atop his victim). The big catch is that 10 minutes before the murder, a park ranger talked to me 60 miles away and ten minutes after, he talked to me again.

I'm cornered, I give the Lieutenant 3, 4 possible ways I did, all of them totally impossible to do, impossible to prove, and rather fantastic.

I'm a witch and I used teleportation or astral projection
I have a twin or a clone.
I have a jet pack and flew at Mach 2 to get here and there and back again.

I usually refer to this fantasy when I need to sleep.......and often am off in dream land before I ever reach the end.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:03 PM

11,140 posts, read 7,306,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king01 View Post
Hi,

I am a 23 year old male. University student.

As any person sometimes I am bothered by things people do to me with ill intentions. Sometimes I fantasize about doing very, very cruel things to them. A lot worse than what they do to me. Most of the things I imagine are physical tortures. This happens from time to time, specially when I focus on the things they have done to me. Is this kind of behavior normal in the majority of people/males or should I try to change this behavior?

I carry a weapon for self-defense, so I have done the psychological test for it multiple times, which I guess means I am not crazy. Outside of my fantasies I am a very calmed person. I always avoid fighting, and getting angry to the point of losing control almost never happens. So I wonder why there is such a huge difference between my behavior in real life and what I fantasize sometimes.
Just keep it in your head, you'll be fine.

Maybe a bit of Witchcraft is in order, for these bothersome critters. (Strings, knots, that sort of thing).

Old 01-14-2019, 05:18 PM

13,069 posts, read 24,893,405 times
I wondered if the OP's feeling of "cruelty" towards him was about women rejecting him and hence the extreme fantasies, in which case, he's very scary.

As the saying goes, "Men fear that women will laugh at them. Women fear that men will kill them."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or