Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 06:57 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Most people probably do. Just look at all those on social media who call for no trial, slow torture deaths for this offender or that offender in the news.

Admittedly, when I was young, I probably wanted to get even with those that hurt me, see them in my mind's eye put someplace with no hope for a slow fate.

These days, however, I don't. I do not dwell on bad things that are wrong to do.

I am a good witch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 08:43 PM

5 posts, read 3,095 times
For example, some guys stole materials from our house when my family and I were building it.

I would like to take revenge on them if I could (which I could not), so I imagine things like putting them to sleep and using a driller to perforate their wrists and ankles so that they cant use their hands or walk again. I would let them live obviously.

That sort of stuff is what comes to my mind sometimes.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:59 PM

48 posts, read 33,336 times
I’ve done the same thing. I was going through a rough time and someone I saw every day was adding to the toughness. It wasn’t good at all, but I’ve done that. Now I try to keep peace with everyone and view everything in a positive light. Living with grudges isn’t fun and just makes you feel dirty.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:03 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king01 View Post

For example, some guys stole materials from our house when my family and I were building it.

I would like to take revenge on them if I could (which I could not), so I imagine things like putting them to sleep and using a driller to perforate their wrists and ankles so that they cant use their hands or walk again. I would let them live obviously.

Your fantasy punishment far far far exceeds the crime.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:01 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Wanting to do something "very very cruel" to another person is not normal, and the fact that it far outweighs what they did to you makes it even more abnormal. You need help to get a healthier perspective on this issue.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:22 AM

343 posts, read 352,731 times
I guess if I were to input. The therapy or counseling everyone is suggesting should only really be considered if these thoughts are super intense, super tempting, or super attention consuming.

I tend to go through a day thinking about all the ways people around me could get maimed or killed by the surroundings that we are in. I don't feel any contempt or anger towards these people, and most of the time it is just random strangers. I just see people around and wonder: What would happen if this scaffolding collapsed and and impaled this person? What if this guy at the crosswalk tripped and fell in the street when a car was passing by and it ran over his head?

These sort of thoughts are probably going to be unsettling to some of the other respondents on this page, but it is a daily norm for me. The question is: Am I going to act on these thoughts? The answer is no by the way, for any concerned parties out there.

The point is, to some degree or form, yes, these thoughts are normal. It is how you let them manifest in the physical world that is important. That is: don't let them. We've had enough mass shootings for one year already.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:06 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Define regular ? As in daily? Hourly?

I'm lucky if I can remember where I left my eye glasses! Trying to illicit imaginary evil deeds upon another is not quite on the list of daily tasks.

Would it appease you to know it's okay to "think" out scenarios (fantasy). So long as you don't act upon such harm.

There are some shoes I do not want to walk in....think.about not repeating their behavior or actions done unto you. Your already one step ahead if you can
Think thru the results. As I jokingly tell my friends...it's just too much trouble to clean up after the imaginery incident....I sure don't have the ambition to clean it up in real life.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:28 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
I think the OP has a problem, no its not normal and you should seek professional help.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:57 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
It’s no big deal as long as you don’t act on your fantasies. Relax.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:07 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king01 View Post

Sounds rather like "Saw"........a series of movies which I absolutely refuse to watch......but sort of the mark of the times.

Or perhaps "The Exterminator" when he tied the gang members somewhere to be eaten by rats.

Given what we have for entertainment these days, I am not surprised at such fantasies but even in my youth, I was not so innocent. Just that my fantasies were fed by Vincent Price and Roger Corman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology