Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 09:56 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,773,273 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago, you may have heard about a meeting Trump held with Pence, Pelosi, and Schumer in the Oval Office regarding the shutdown.

A lot was made of the fact that Pence was in the room, but didn't say a word. I saw people on Facebook cracking jokes along the lines of, "Pence had a lot to say in the meeting."

I was reminded of that meeting after sitting in one of my own this morning at work.

As an introvert, I like to listen to what's said, review my notes, and later voice any questions/comments. It's just my style. I don't ordinarily do it all on the fly.

The meeting was boring and rather pointless because the head honcho who has to make the ultimate decision is out on vacation.

Regardless, it was a lot of information to take in, and the meeting was headed by an upbeat, talkative guy who works in a different department.

Once we were done, my boss asked half-jokingly, "You got all of that?" And then the garrulous guy jumped in and exclaimed, "Quiet down, you! Try to keep a low profile."

Here are a few questions I wanted to run by you guys:

1. When someone is quiet, do you think it makes people around him or her feel insecure? Are they wondering "Is this guy hatching a plot to kill us all?"

2. Do you think being in a group setting makes people more disposed toward "picking on" quiet people? I find that when it's just you and that one person, there's no audience to entertain and thus no validation to get from the jokes (e.g., no one else is there to laugh), so people are not as likely to do it.

3. What are some witty comebacks to have in mind when people pull this stunt? Is it best to resort to self-deprecating humor? ("I know I talked your ear off. Wear headphones next time.")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 10:21 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,678,192 times
Probably any of the above that you mention.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:26 AM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,051 times
He is the Vice President And has no problem speaking publicly or in meetings , absolutely no comparison to your situation or concern other than maybe both your bosses are bullies.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:10 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,741 times
People who pick on quiet people are idiots who don't understand that we are not all going to have the same personalities. Ignore them.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:11 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
Overly talkative people are also picked on. I believe these types of threads simply reveal the perspective of the OP.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:20 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,773,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Overly talkative people are also picked on. I believe these types of threads simply reveal the perspective of the OP.
Fair point, but it seems being quiet has a more negative connotation than being talkative, at least in the workplace.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:22 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Fair point, but it seems being quiet has a more negative connotation than being talkative, at least in the workplace.
I don't agree - everybody hates the jackass who talks too much and won't let anybody else get a word in edgewise. The one making fun of the quiet one is probably that clueless jackass, actually.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
To me, the quiet person who takes time to consider their words, or to absorb the information, is the one I like to hear from.

I do not think the problems you are encountering with being heard are because your bosses are extroverts, but because they are bullies.

I do think you might want to be persistent about sharing important questions or thoughts.

There are always people who will try to run roughshod over others. You encounter them everywhere. You will have to learn to deal with them so you are not victimized.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:51 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,017,949 times
From the exchange that you posted, you felt picked on? I don't get it.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:39 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
Here's something else to consider - many quiet, introverted people are very intelligent. They can be a bit of a nerd. They're often introspective. Sometimes shy or a bit awkward. These can be signs of high intelligence. Many people are put off by brainy individuals. Brains are something that can be very intimidating, and some don't know how to deal with that. They become uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology