U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM

5,227 posts, read 2,358,226 times

Advertisements

Recently sat in a company meeting.

Our Manager is quite stand offish...dismissive and rarely listens to the staff. So we all remain quiet during her "lectures" .

Usually I have a perceptiveness that sees thru the B.s. After her "lecturing" was over and anyone who thought they had any self esteem was crushed by her ...It dawned on me.....this lady is transferring her Personal poor habits and claiming the "team" suffers from complacency.

Ive stood on the sidelines and even at times got into the swing of things with team oriented tasks. But our team is far from complacent. I genuinely think its SHE that is complacent....and she is transferring her shortcomings and accusing us.

So I pose to the community...is transference a form of scape goating.....?

Maybe I'm transferring some of the positive deeds onto the staff...and from that we each encourage others....Reckon thats a form of transference too.....

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM

2,812 posts, read 1,223,763 times
It’s called projecting or projection
“Psychological projection is a defence mechanism in which the human ego defends itself against unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.”
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psyc...cal_projection

Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM

3,700 posts, read 1,318,834 times
Projection and scapegoating are two different things.

Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM

2,812 posts, read 1,223,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Projection and scapegoating are two different things.
A medical definition of scapegoating is:[1]

"Process in which the mechanisms of projection or displacement are utilized in focusing feelings of aggression, hostility, frustration, etc., upon another individual or group; the amount of blame being unwarranted." Scapegoating is a hostile tactic often employed to characterize an entire group of individuals according to the unethical or immoral conduct of a small number of individuals belonging to that group. Scapegoating relates to guilt by association and stereotyping.

Old Today, 06:27 AM

5,227 posts, read 2,358,226 times
Appreciate the feedback. Will give more thought to thsee definitions.

Old Today, 11:55 AM

5,554 posts, read 3,185,915 times
Sometimes I think I run into an example of projection on CD when someone will be describing a situation and someone else will jump in with emotionally-charged language that appears to me like they are strongly identifying with the poster. But they won't say that it happened to them, too, and "here's what I did." Instead they'll start pointing a finger."You should have done this, etc."

I can't help but think they are unconsciously (or maybe even consciously ) trying to emotionally work through their own life issue.

Situations where this happens nearly always cause a ganging up effect as people identify with one group or another and some pretty hefty language can be slung around as the result of the unfinished business we all carry with us.

I think that's where I see the scapegoating coming in as each side tries to prove its case in a not-so-healthy way. People are seeking relief.

When I run into something like this I can have a strong emotional reaction myself. Then it's time to self-reflect. What about this situation is engaging me? It's not always easy.

We are interesting creatures.

Last edited by Lodestar; Today at 12:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology