Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 07:50 PM

999 posts, read 553,211 times

Advertisements

I'm not on any meds myself, but I know many who are. I think it's the simplest reason imaginable. A lot of people are on meds because meds are readily available. Life sucks and is very hard regardless of what era you were born in. Problems are just replaced by different problems. I'm sure plenty of Pioneer women were horribly depressed. They didn't really recognize depression as a disorder back then. People just did what was needed to survive, or they didn't, and they died.

If you give people an option to use drugs to feel better, a large percentage of society is going to take advantage of that. And that would've been true at any era had those drugs been around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 07:56 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newne View Post
Perhaps, but hanging out among my fiance and her girlfriends and just friends in general they really seem to have been made of tougher stuff than millenials by a significant degree. Not as if they have never dealt with some bad stuff in their lives, my fiance was married to an emotionally abusive man for many years and after divorcing she did do some counseling but never took any kind of meds.
Where are the facts to back up this claim? Peer reviewed articles and research? Your "evidence" seems to be purely anecdotal. Taking medications does not make a person weak or less than, like you're implying. If you're so happy with your fiance and think your generation is so much stronger, why are concerned with what's going on with millenials?

Old 01-17-2019, 08:07 PM

83 posts, read 57,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
I'm not on any meds myself, but I know many who are. I think it's the simplest reason imaginable. A lot of people are on meds because meds are readily available. Life sucks and is very hard regardless of what era you were born in. Problems are just replaced by different problems. I'm sure plenty of Pioneer women were horribly depressed. They didn't really recognize depression as a disorder back then. People just did what was needed to survive, or they didn't, and they died.

If you give people an option to use drugs to feel better, a large percentage of society is going to take advantage of that. And that would've been true at any era had those drugs been around.
I see what you are saying, but just like an alcoholic that drinks so much they reach a point where they need alcohol to feel better, isn't that a bad thing? With the exception of personally experiencing traumatic events is it really good to give depression/anxiety meds to those that just "feel bad"?

Old 01-17-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Where are the facts to back up this claim? Peer reviewed articles and research? Your "evidence" seems to be purely anecdotal. Taking medications does not make a person weak or less than, like you're implying. If you're so happy with your fiance and think your generation is so much stronger, why are concerned with what's going on with millenials?
Anecdotal, sure, but the stats are very worrying. Sure taking meds doesn't necessarily make a person "weak" but we should evaluate WHY people are having to take them, and if there are better avenues as to how to rectify problems and issues people have that don't involve meds. Just like growing up I can still remember how many in my generation were given ritalin for ADD/ADHD when that just ended messing people up. I should know given that as a child I was also prescribed ritalin just because like many as a kid, especially a young boy. Yet all it ironically enough did was make me feel depressed and not at all energetic. Same with many others.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:28 PM

96 posts, read 80,029 times
Millenial women need those medications because they were raised by baby boomer parents.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:34 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,838 times
Previous generations did not have access to mental health care.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:36 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Because "life sucks and then you die."

But seriously, life seems to be very difficult these days.

We used to have a middle class and everyone could have basics.

Those days are long gone, and I can see where that alone would cause depression.

Hopelessness and anxiety about the future.

And it is definitely not just girls/women.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:41 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Men are on meds too, and those who are not taking any - should
But generally, women more likely take meds, men tend to have a drink...

At my mental hospital we get more teen/young women than men at the same age, and more men after 40-45.

Usually women stressed over love and home life, men depressed over demanding jobs/money and PTSD related to military life.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Because "life sucks and then you die."

But seriously, life seems to be very difficult these days.

We used to have a middle class and everyone could have basics.

Those days are long gone, and I can see where that alone would cause depression.

Hopelessness and anxiety about the future.

And it is definitely not just girls/women.
Sure life can be difficult, but is it anywhere close to how difficult as it was say during the great depression or WWII?

Old 01-18-2019, 12:17 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Newne, if what you state is true, possible contributing factors could be:

A. Millennial's could be faced with a fierce and competitive job market due to ever increasing population combined with generations before them remaining longer in positions (less openings), jobs being shipped overseas or being eliminated by robotics/online shopping/etc. No brick and mortar stores to work at, robots answering phone calls, manufacturing done out of country.

B. Wasn't the Millennial generation the "me" generation, where every student in the classroom got some sort or award, no healthy competition, no "striving to achieve", etc.

C. Possible less interaction with fellow children in the neighborhood/classmates growing up due to things like computer gaming/texting/email/etc. When allowed to play, "playdates" would be arranged by parents, no spontaneous play.

This could lead to potential narcissism, depression, lack of coping/creativity skills, etc.
D. With this era of being politically correct, one might want meds with all the insanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology