Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 06:36 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times

Advertisements

If millennials were raised in a bubble of entitlement, eventually the harsh reality of no longer being coddled and protected could be quite the shock. A lot of this goes back to parenting. Certainly, many millennials are made of tougher stock though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 08:11 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newne View Post
Saw this and found it interesting:

Mod cut.

As a 34 year old millennial man I can't say I am that surprised, I have noticed so many women in my age group just seem so sad and depressed. I may get some flack for saying this, but I find it hard to believe most young women today have to endure anything CLOSE to the obstacles and challenges women in the past went through; say pioneer women, women travelling along the Oregon trail or heck, how they would have around 14 kids and be lucky if half of them survived to adulthood. I can certainly understand needing them for traumatic things such as rape, sexual assault and other equally traumatic things but surely so many shouldn't need them for just general life issues everyone goes through.

Makes me happy that I am engaged to a Gen X woman who is very fun and happy and certainly isn't taking any depression/anxiety meds.
First, I think women are more likely to seek treatment for depression than men. That's to say that I think men are depressed too, they just don't seek help for it. And I think you are terribly naive to the obstacles women still face every day.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:51 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Wow you pushed my buttons here.

This is still a male dominated society that marginalizes women.

I can tell you for sure that oppression has not stopped. Men really don't realize how women live in our times.
It is more unsafe for women to go out of the house more now than ever. We risk being overpowered everywhere and anywhere and in many ways.
What????? What a sad view of life, to be fearful of even leaving the house. Overpowered everywhere and anywhere? My goodness, I have never felt that way as a woman, and can't imagine living life with that mindset.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:57 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
First, I think women are more likely to seek treatment for depression than men. That's to say that I think men are depressed too, they just don't seek help for it. And I think you are terribly naive to the obstacles women still face every day.
men got beer for their medication...

Old 01-20-2019, 12:19 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
What????? What a sad view of life, to be fearful of even leaving the house. Overpowered everywhere and anywhere? My goodness, I have never felt that way as a woman, and can't imagine living life with that mindset.
I guess it must be very painful to live like a feminist, lol.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:25 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
women today …..are more independent.. successful.... empowered than at any time in human history...

this is a good thing...

sometimes I think we have life so damn easy we haven't a clue how our generations and ancestors before us had lived.....had struggled...had suffered ..

we are spoiled.... in luxuries we don't appreciate we complain about minor things …

as for women.... just my humble opinion but most ive known...… haven't the slightest clue on being content....
stop worrying about crap that's out of your control....stop absorbing all your friends and coworkers drama...
stop watching politics......news...

im not saying ignorance is bliss.....im saying turn your emotions/feelings down that's either destructive or out of your control..

men are more logical.... if theirs a problem...lets solve it be done with it....lets not beat it to death and tryin guess 4 different motives …

and if you got some deep seeded issues.... let it go.... if you don't know how go see a therapist.....

Old 01-20-2019, 03:41 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,947 times
Breakdown in family. Breakdown in communities. No villages. No firm guidance.

Breakdown in parenting. Let's be friends. No firm guidance.

Breakdown in schools. Teachers are no longer in charge. No firm guidance.

Breakdown in religion. Scandals, abuse, etc. No firm guidance.

Breakdown in health. Chronic obesity (childhood type 2 diabetes was unheard of two decades ago). Fast food. Toxic environments. Never outdoors. A pill for everything.

Breakdown in societal norms. Very self-centered, shallow, and entitled. Facebook, instagram, etc.

The Kim K factor. No explanation needed.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:31 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
There are numerous ways to work on combating depression other than A/D drugs. The net is full of info on this issue. And too, many could be hypoT and not going to that issue. And so many are crazed with the tech world and the easiest thing is to pop the A/d drugs.

I went 10 yrs with a sluggish thyroid that was never dx'd and given A/D after drug and no relief, not until finally got thyroid supported. The depression lifted so fast...but this was before the tech crazies too, and I am an older gal and Never got so hooked in.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:33 PM

999 posts, read 553,675 times
Quote:
I see what you are saying, but just like an alcoholic that drinks so much they reach a point where they need alcohol to feel better, isn't that a bad thing? With the exception of personally experiencing traumatic events is it really good to give depression/anxiety meds to those that just "feel bad"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This, and why should there be a stigma about treated mental health issues with medication? If you have allergies you can take medication. If you have chronic migraines you can take medication. If you have high blood pressure you take medications. But if you have depression or anxiety you're just supposed to suck it up?
I'll respond to both of these comments at once.

I don't think it's necessarily a good or bad thing. It's a personal choice. As far as stigma, I agree there shouldn't be, but I also feel that the difference with depression and other emotional disorders vs allergies or cancer is that emotional problems are often fueled by a root issue that can be healed. For instance, PTSD from sexual abuse. It might cause depression. But in treating only the symptom, we remove the chance to work on the root issue. It's not really any different than self-medicating with drugs and alcohol, I agree with Newne on that.

I'm not here to judge anyone for that choice. Life is life, it only lasts so long, and we all have to choose to do whatever will work to help us find balance and happiness as much as possible during that time. I can say that as someone who was diagnosed with a "chemical imbalance" at the age of 12, I'm glad I did not listen to doctors who said I'd need to be medicated my entire life. I got off meds, went deep into my psyche, discovered why I was so depressed and where my pain was coming from, and I worked on it. It's taken me a solid 20 years of therapy, self-work, challenging myself to get out of my comfort zone, and sometimes, flat-out crying until I'm numb. But I am well now. I don't consider myself to be someone with depression or any other mental disorders other than maybe some mild anxiety at times. I couldn't have healed without experiencing that pain.

I think that's part of the problem in our modern society. People feel entitled to pain avoidance. They think they should always feel good and that something is wrong if they don't. But pain can be an incredibly powerful tool. It's a symptom of the body and mind screaming out for help.

Like I said, I don't judge anyone for medicating under a doctor's supervision or even self-medicating with alcohol or whatever. It's their choice. But I do think viewing issues like depression as a disorder that's beyond our control vs viewing them as a symptom of something that can be healed is doing us a disservice.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:54 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,156 times
Quote:
Even so, even if you want to argue that it's just "clinical depression" fact is it's WAYYY worse among my generation than older ones.
You have no data to support this. How are you going to measure the suffering of people from the 11th century who lived to an average age of 35 years old with today? It is very clear, you have a hidden agenda in your post, and I don't feel you have the intelligence to grasp the concept of empathy and suffering of others. You are now added to my ignore list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology