Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do men who grew up with sisters understand women better?
Yes--and they end up with better marriages as a result 9 18.00%
Yes, but doesn't mean they have better marriages. 26 52.00%
No, but only if you have female cousins and aunts nearby. 1 2.00%
No, even if your mom is your only female relative nearby. 14 28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2019, 05:15 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,657,137 times

Advertisements

I think this is a great question. I grew up with 2 sisters who were close in age to me, a mom, and a dad who was away a lot for work. Given this though, I would say it did not help me one bit. I remember my sisters when they were kids as we played as kids for most of my youth. I never dealt with any adult problems with them. This was no help to me when I engaged with women as full-grown adults.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 05:45 PM

5,428 posts, read 4,424,052 times
I don't think it does at all.

Men learn the most about women from other men.

There's a crisis in masculinity now. Fathers of the Baby Boomer generation have done a terrible job of teaching masculinity to their sons of the Millennial generation. Generation Z's oldest members are now 18-23, so we have fully formed Gen Z men now. I don't think Gen Z is going to be much better than the Millennials.

With Millennial men (I am a Millennial), there were a lot of absentee fathers. The present fathers were not incredible either in raising men. The present fathers generally married their mothers before the sexual revolution became institutionalized, and the law of the jungle overtook a more civilized mating marketplace. As I will illustrate below, these older men are ill equipped were ill equipped to teach later Gen X men or Millennial men about the modern mating marketplace because they didn't experience anything close to it.

Before the mid 1970s or so, being a decent guy who could support a family and provide leadership was all you needed to get a woman. Now, since women have left the kitchen and gone out into the workplace and can support themselves, provider men are generally useless to them. The most desirable men are the men that push their excitement buttons. Often times, these men possess traits of Machiavellianism, Narcissism, and Psychopathy (the Dark Triad). To a modern woman, a Dark Triad guy is a better mating choice because he will most appeal to her carnal, vaginal desires but he's often turbulent and damaged. Often times, what you see is that women in their prime attractiveness and fertility years are selecting to mate with Dark Triad guys while ignoring good, stable men. There is no incentive to mate with a provider male because even if a DarK Triad man abandons her, the government will give her free benefits. As a woman ages, she gets to some point in her 30s or maybe even 40s, and she's had a series of unsuccessful interactions with Dark Triad guys and she eventually settles for some normal, boring guy and basically resents him, but she really dislikes herself. She'll often have an affair with some younger stud like a personal trainer, tennis instructor, bartender possessing the Dark Triad traits that her normal, boring boyfriend or husband she got in her 30s doesn't possess and try to re-live the excitement her youth. This affair won't have a long shelf life either.

How could a man from the Silent or Boomer generation prepare a late Gen X or Millennial son for that sort of experience?

How could having a sister prepare a man for that sort of behavior?

Men need a community of other aware men to learn to cope with a difficult mating marketplace.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:47 PM

611 posts, read 304,633 times
I have a cousin, an only child, whose father passed away when he was very young. He was brought up by his mother, who had mostly female friends. It was obvious in some ways. Many years later, our uncle commented to me that our uncle's wife had noted to him that his nephew communicated and conversed in a way common only among women. We never got to discuss this in detail, but I note it in relation to the above discussion.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:59 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,463,385 times
I wouldn't say I understand better but definitely empathize more maybe. Not that I would anyway but after knowing how sister had to deal with unwanted "inquires" constantly on a daily basis while out doing regular stuff and how uncomfortable she was, I couldn't then go do the same thing to someone else. That's just one example.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:37 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,547,555 times
I think that many men who grew up with sisters probably know more about getting their way with women and as a result, would make less ideal mates. Also guys with sisters always have opportunities with the female friends they bring around home. Those guys learn how to make moves on them, that sister-less guys wouldn't have the practice in doing.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:51 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,532,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post

There's a crisis in masculinity now. Fathers of the Baby Boomer generation have done a terrible job of teaching masculinity to their sons of the Millennial generation. Generation Z's oldest members are now 18-23, so we have fully formed Gen Z men now. I don't think Gen Z is going to be much better than the Millennials.

With Millennial men (I am a Millennial), there were a lot of absentee fathers. The present fathers were not incredible either in raising men. The present fathers generally married their mothers before the sexual revolution became institutionalized, and the law of the jungle overtook a more civilized mating marketplace. As I will illustrate below, these older men are ill equipped were ill equipped to teach later Gen X men or Millennial men about the modern mating marketplace because they didn't experience anything close to it.

Before the mid 1970s or so, being a decent guy who could support a family and provide leadership was all you needed to get a woman. Now, since women have left the kitchen and gone out into the workplace and can support themselves, provider men are generally useless to them. The most desirable men are the men that push their excitement buttons. Often times, these men possess traits of Machiavellianism, Narcissism, and Psychopathy (the Dark Triad). To a modern woman, a Dark Triad guy is a better mating choice because he will most appeal to her carnal, vaginal desires but he's often turbulent and damaged. Often times, what you see is that women in their prime attractiveness and fertility years are selecting to mate with Dark Triad guys while ignoring good, stable men. There is no incentive to mate with a provider male because even if a DarK Triad man abandons her, the government will give her free benefits. As a woman ages, she gets to some point in her 30s or maybe even 40s, and she's had a series of unsuccessful interactions with Dark Triad guys and she eventually settles for some normal, boring guy and basically resents him, but she really dislikes herself. She'll often have an affair with some younger stud like a personal trainer, tennis instructor, bartender possessing the Dark Triad traits that her normal, boring boyfriend or husband she got in her 30s doesn't possess and try to re-live the excitement her youth. This affair won't have a long shelf life either.

How could a man from the Silent or Boomer generation prepare a late Gen X or Millennial son for that sort of experience?

Men need a community of other aware men to learn to cope with a difficult mating marketplace.

The idea that I, as a modern woman, have "carnal, vaginal desires," is oddly appealing. I'll be sure to mention that the next time I'm with my good, stable man.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:44 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,441,427 times
Inherently I'd say "no". A man who is okay with and in tune with his emotions, who also has sisters...probably. I know a guy who has good insight into women and he says it's because he was close to his sister, but in my opinions it's because he has high emotional intelligence.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:33 AM

24,372 posts, read 9,240,450 times
I have a twin sister and I was relativelty close to my mother, grandmother, and aunt

"Understanding women better" has nothing to do with anything. It takes experience, knowledge, education, maturity, etc. to understand women. None of which happens just because you were raised around them.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:57 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,043,377 times
I’ve always wondered if I would have benefited from having a brother.

I tend to pedastalize men & am a bad judge of character. I thought maybe having a brother could have afforded me a more realistic opinion & would have saved me a lot of confusion.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:21 AM

1,299 posts, read 817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post

Thanks for the laugh! Satire is fun. I'm going to work the phrase "carnal, vaginal desires" into my daily life. Love it. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology