Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do men who grew up with sisters understand women better?
Yes--and they end up with better marriages as a result 9 18.00%
Yes, but doesn't mean they have better marriages. 26 52.00%
No, but only if you have female cousins and aunts nearby. 1 2.00%
No, even if your mom is your only female relative nearby. 14 28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 12:44 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times

Advertisements

Do men with sisters understand women better? I think not.

1. Men and women are different and are always going to have a hard time understanding each other.
2. Men who don't have sisters probably grew up with their mom, and that's just as good.
3. For men, there's really no correlation between having sisters and being happily married to your wife. We all know of men with no sisters who get along wonderfully with their wives and men with no sisters who still can't figure out their wives.
4. To truly understand women, men would have to engage in women's hobbies, like sewing, cooking, etc. We all know of men with sisters who have zero interest in sewing or cooking, and have zero female friends. We all know of men without sisters who like sewing, cooking and thus have a lot of female friends through it.
5. Come on, unless they're in the military, go to an all-boy's school, or work on an oil rig, most men without sisters are still going to be surrounded by women on a daily basis.

If men with sisters really understood women better, then it would stand to reason that men with sisters have more female friends than men without sisters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 01:09 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,024,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

1. Men and women are different and are always going to have a hard time understanding each other.
2. Men who don't have sisters probably grew up with their mom, and that's just as good.
3. For men, there's really no correlation between having sisters and being happily married to your wife. We all know of men with no sisters who get along wonderfully with their wives and men with no sisters who still can't figure out their wives.
4. To truly understand women, men would have to engage in women's hobbies, like sewing, cooking, etc. We all know of men with sisters who have zero interest in sewing or cooking, and have zero female friends. We all know of men without sisters who like sewing, cooking and thus have a lot of female friends through it.
5. Come on, unless they're in the military, go to an all-boy's school, or work on an oil rig, most men without sisters are still going to be surrounded by women on a daily basis.

If men with sisters really understood women better, then it would stand to reason that men with sisters have more female friends than men without sisters.
Not every thought that crosses one's mind is worthy of posting. Sewing and cooking, good grief.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:15 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Not every thought that crosses one's mind is worthy of posting. Sewing and cooking, good grief.
I'm guessing OP is one of those guys who doesn't have sisters, or else he time traveled from the 19th century.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:28 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

#1: Communication can, and does, overcome that, when people bother to communicate.

Men don't have to engage in women's hobbies to understand women, that's silly. All they need to do, is *talk* to women. Be open to talking to their sisters or cousins about dating issues they both may be facing in HS, and that sort of thing. Brothers who are too far in age from their sisters may not be close enough to do that comfortably. OTOH, older brothers who are protective of their sisters would be close enough, and might hear about their concerns anyway, without asking. Self-absorbed brothers, or those into hanging out with their bro-posse, wouldn't be interested in communication with their sister/s.

There are so many variables here, OP, that it's not possible to answer yay or nay, as if it's so simple. Life isn't so cut-and-dried. So many C-D posters want easy answers to complex situations.

What we can say, is that the potential for understanding women better is there, for guys who have close female relatives that are reasonably close in age. Whether the guys are willing, or psychologically equipped, to take advantage of that potential, is a whole other set of issues.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:25 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
What twisted logic is this, is this a joke?

Old 01-19-2019, 02:30 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
I grew up with three sisters. It certainly helped me understand girls/women better than if I hadn't had any.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:35 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times
I thought that would be the case when I was dating. It's not always always true. My closest male friend has a sister a few years older. And both parents were married until his mother passed away. We had briefly dated then I decided we are better off just being friends. While he was a nice guy most of the time, he had some underlying anger issues that I've witnessed. He would occasionally break things when mad. That was top deal breaker that made me decide that we couldn't date anymore. Also, there were other things like communication issues and putting too much focus on his friends while we were dating. So, no, just because he has a sister or around other women growing up doesn't mean he'll the "perfect" guy to date.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:37 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
What twisted logic is this, is this a joke?
Yes and no. For whatever reason, some people actually think that men with sisters understand women better, have better marriages as a result, are more sympathetic to women's causes as a result, and therefore are more liberal/feminist-approving/progressive than guys without sisters.

It is absurd to think that guys without sisters are oh-so-misogynistic, pro-gender segregation, and therefore don't give a darn about women's reproductive rights and campaign for the pro-life side (I don't have sisters, but no, I am not pro-life because I am a misogynist, I am pro-life because it is a scientific fact that fetuses are just as human as anyone else).

It is absurd to think that there is any oppressive straight male patriarchy in the U.S. today.

It is even more absurd to think that guys without sisters are more prone to be part of the oppressive straight male patriarchy and that guys who have sisters tend to be the liberal, progressive, feminist-approving allies.

Last edited by MrJester; 01-19-2019 at 02:46 PM..

Old 01-19-2019, 02:52 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,098,004 times
Men don't have to engage in women's hobbies to understand women, that's silly. All they need to do, is *listen* to women.

There; that's better.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:08 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Men don't have to engage in women's hobbies to understand women, that's silly. All they need to do, is *listen* to women.

There; that's better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology