U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 03:11 PM

63,418 posts, read 32,009,945 times

Advertisements

Just as the thread title states. Are you tolerant or a short fuse?

Someone makes fun of you for any reason what so ever.... How do you react?
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:13 PM

4,162 posts, read 1,225,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

If it's funny, I'm laughing!

Old Today, 03:15 PM

2,720 posts, read 2,079,525 times
I'm always laughing at myself, but very impatient at times.

Old Today, 03:16 PM

3,478 posts, read 2,071,846 times
I often laugh at myself, especially when I do something dumb. I think it's healthy.

Old Today, 03:44 PM

14,787 posts, read 7,400,494 times
I laugh at myself a lot. But I will explode if someone jokes/laughs about specific family members of mine (especially my husband, my kids or my brothers).

Old Today, 03:48 PM

3,539 posts, read 919,198 times
I laugh at myself all the time for stupid things I have done. If someone else laughs at me it will depend on the situation whether I get angry or giggle as well. If they are laughing to be a jerk then I am mad, if not then it's all good.

Old Today, 03:53 PM

2,578 posts, read 479,736 times
I am more of the "laugh at yourself"-type. For me to get really angry is not easy (I am talking face-punching angry).

Old Today, 04:00 PM

4,114 posts, read 3,947,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

I wasn't made fun of but I was cursed at repeatedly by an older guy who had tapped the rear bumper of my car while sitting at a stop light. I motioned to pull into the nearest parking lot and he followed. I noticed a mark on the bumper and asked that we exchange insurance information. In an extremely hostile tone, he insulted my, my wife, the lovely people of Japan who built my car, and repeated the process with different adjectives. My wife ended up back in the car in tears.

I never raised my voice. I answered everything with "Yes sir", "No sir" repeatedly and ended the conversation with "Would you like me to call the police and have them take down your insurance information?".

When I got back into the car, my wife asked how I stayed so calm. I explained that since I had a 9mm on my hip that I had to be the one to de-escalate any potential conflict otherwise I am the aggressor if it became physical.

Old Today, 04:03 PM

11,458 posts, read 3,204,489 times
I guess it depends on the circumstances. Being laughed at or teased in a good-natured way by a friend is one thing. It's sort of indicative of a certain level of trust. I've been on both the giving and receiving end of such behavior.

The thing is, something that might be simple joking around among friends can come off as real hostility coming from a stranger or an open adversary. In that case, I usually figure that the person in question is either hopelessly clueless or just an *******.

Exploding with rage? I don't think so, but if it has happened, the people who stitched me back together did a very good job, as I don't seem to be missing any body parts, and they never even told me. I do get angry when I see people being intentionally cruel, but that isn't the same thing, is it?

Old Today, 04:08 PM

8,255 posts, read 8,264,619 times
I'm always laughing at disabled butt .... We're fun to watch.................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology