U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 12:06 PM

5,803 posts, read 3,311,106 times

Advertisements

Our high school was laid out like half of a swastika. Once I was back there and played a game. I closed my eyes when I came in the door I entered every morning and walked to my locker just testing if I could still do it automatically.

I came within three lockers of my own. I guess that inner conditioning must not go away.

But I can't remember my lock combination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 12:18 PM

2,217 posts, read 5,873,326 times
Really well, graduated over 15 years ago.Coudn't remember way around the middle school though. High school had 2100 or so kids when I graduated, now is up to about 3000 students, 501 students where in my class. School had done a few additons. I was inside last spring when they invited the real estate community for a tour, and it brought back all sorts of memories

Old 02-15-2019, 08:55 AM

20,119 posts, read 10,955,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Why would the answer be anything other than "perfectly?"

Everyone remembers the layout of their school, its their school, the memories of the building will be there forever. Schools are not mazes or complex office buildings, they're schools

Now if you talk about the layout of a college or the layout of an office building, that's another story.
Really? That's pretty silly. High school was almost 4 decades ago for me. I spent a total of 2 years in my high school - should have been three because we had Jr High 7-9 and then High School 10-12 but for various reasons, I graduated after 11th grade instead.

I've had several jobs that I stayed at for many multiples of 2 years, why on earth would I remember the high school building I was at for 2 years perfectly compared with an office I've worked at for 6, 8, 10 years?

Try realizing that people's life experiences are different than your own and not give responses that only apply to your own life as if they were somehow universal.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:21 AM

3,702 posts, read 1,033,752 times
Donít remember much i graduated in 1974.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:20 AM
Status: "Justice-two way street, and not just in favor of barbarians" (set 14 hours ago)

14,548 posts, read 5,755,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Really? That's pretty silly. ******

Try realizing that people's life experiences are different than your own and not give responses that only apply to your own life as if they were somehow universal.
I don't get the somewhat tart nature of your response. I think people remember childhood geography differently from and better than adult geography. I can drive around my childhood haunts, Riverdale, Bronx, ages 0-7 and Scarsdale, ages 7-18 (and then after college and law school) without reference to street names and without getting lost. If I went back to Tampa, colonial Williamsburgh or other places that I have spent a full week Waze or Mapquest would be going full blast. Ironically I would remember St. John, USVI a bit better. I was there for nine days in 1991 on my honeymoon. Maybe it's because I walked rather than drove or was driven more of the area. It could be that biking or walking leaves a more permanent imprint.

But again why the sarcasm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Donít remember much i graduated in 1974.
I don't think a year makes much difference at that age. I graduated in 1975. See above.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:34 AM

7,128 posts, read 4,464,428 times
Yes. Both high schools. First had a pop. of 2500 students and second (senior year) 4000. I can still remember where my classes were for senior year and a lot of my classes for 9-11 grade.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:50 AM

7,128 posts, read 4,464,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't get the somewhat tart nature of your response. I think people remember childhood geography differently from and better than adult geography. I can drive around my childhood haunts, Riverdale, Bronx, ages 0-7 and Scarsdale, ages 7-18 (and then after college and law school) without reference to street names and without getting lost. If I went back to Tampa, colonial Williamsburgh or other places that I have spent a full week Waze or Mapquest would be going full blast. Ironically I would remember St. John, USVI a bit better. I was there for nine days in 1991 on my honeymoon. Maybe it's because I walked rather than drove or was driven more of the area. It could be that biking or walking leaves a more permanent imprint.

I don't think a year makes much difference at that age. I graduated in 1975. See above.
Because not everyone's memory works the same? It could have been a large school, new school, or experiences one would rather not remember. I can remember where a lot of my classes were going back to Kinder. I went to seven schools and remember the layout of all of them. I can also recall outfits I wore in a given season of a given year. I remember the routes I walked, the stores I went to, and the general layout of the areas I lived, and I moved around a lot.

I asked my husband the thread question and he only remembers bits and pieces. He attended three schools and only lived in two houses, though one was for the bulk of his childhood.

I have a far better memory than he does.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:45 AM

20,119 posts, read 10,955,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

My response was to the comment Why would the answer be anything other than "perfectly?" There are lots of reasons why people's memories vary and why one person could have a perfect memory of something while another person doesn't. So yes, it was silly to suggest that every single person should have a perfect memory of their high school's layout. It's hard to think of anything where there is a single "perfect" answer that every person should have in common.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:41 PM

6,365 posts, read 3,405,471 times
I attended a small school K-12. Pretty much remember the whole layout except perhaps a couple of classrooms. Even remember the science lab store room, the boiler room where the janitors hang out, the paint colors, the tables in the cafeteria, the slop bucket in the cafeteria where they dumped uneaten food to wash the plates. Even the grease pit in the shop.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:56 PM

5,643 posts, read 8,402,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I attended a small school K-12. Pretty much remember the whole layout except perhaps a couple of classrooms. Even remember the science lab store room, the boiler room where the janitors hang out, the paint colors, the tables in the cafeteria, the slop bucket in the cafeteria where they dumped uneaten food to wash the plates. Even the grease pit in the shop.
I've been back to visit my high school a few times in recent years. While I remembered the layout of the school very well and it hasn't changed much in substance despite some additions, I was surprised by the size of certain rooms when I went back. There were two science labs that I had classes in that I remembered as being normally sized classrooms, when in fact they are much larger than normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or