Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:20 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In my spare time I like to make maps which are basically stages for video games and I found to get started and used to it, basing it off my old high school was easy as I can still remember every nook and cranny of it and I have been out of HS for a LONG time.

So what about you? If you were asked to draw a map of your HS, at least as it was when you were in, how well could you do?

Yeah, I've built Doom II maps of my high school pre-remodel and now long-extinct junior high (demolished 2006) as well! Glad to know I'm not the only one. I think the allegation of Eric Harris building one (never been proven, although his excellent "UAC Labs" WAD has been in circulation for many years) to suppposedly practise for Columbine kind of made school Doom mapping "cool" for a while in a sickly beautiful, rebellious sort of way. For a while afterwards, it seemed that if you had Doom or Doom II and you didn't map your school for 1-player or deathmatch, you were nobody.

Meh, it was a different generation. Nowadays that'd probably get you expelled from the state and thrown in the pen 50-to-life with no parole option INSTANTLY. You know how people these days overreact to petty teenage S like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 12:51 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,188,788 times
I could map it all except the Girl's Locker Room.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:55 AM

334 posts, read 227,329 times
Mine was very small :-) One long hallway with a short perpendicular hallway midway down.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:33 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newne View Post
In my spare time I like to make maps which are basically stages for video games and I found to get started and used to it, basing it off my old high school was easy as I can still remember every nook and cranny of it and I have been out of HS for a LONG time.

So what about you? If you were asked to draw a map of your HS, at least as it was when you were in, how well could you do?
I wouldn’t do well at all. I must have blocked out my high school’s layout along with other traumatic memories in my life. lol

Old 02-14-2019, 04:06 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newne View Post

I remember it perfectly. I hated the place!

Blessings!

Mahrie.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:37 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Why would the answer be anything other than "perfectly?"

Everyone remembers the layout of their school, its their school, the memories of the building will be there forever. Schools are not mazes or complex office buildings, they're schools

Now if you talk about the layout of a college or the layout of an office building, that's another story.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:04 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Everyone remembers the layout of their school, its their school, the memories of the building will be there forever. Schools are not mazes or complex office buildings, they're schools

Now if you talk about the layout of a college or the layout of an office building, that's another story.
Um, speak for yourself. Not everyone remembers. I remember some hallways, the gym, the auditorium, the cafeteria...but I definitely can’t put it all together and draw a map of it. My high school had many different buildings and I can’t even remember the main building well.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:34 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Our high school was actually large and complex.

I have a good sense of direction and a good memory. I can remember that my first grade classroom was on the far end of the hall and adjoined the paved playground, and the walk to the restroom, but little else.

I can remember the layouts of my second elementary school (grades 2-8), high school, college, law school my day camp (ages 5 or 6 through 8) and four sleepaway camps, ages 9 through 15, as well as the one I worked at during summers 1974 and 1975, ages 17 and 18.

As far as directions, my wife and I were rained out of a day at our summer camp for adults over July 4 weekend 1991 in Great Barrington, Massachusetts. Both my wife and I went to different summer camps (not co-ed) in Becket, Massachusetts, off Route 8. We decided to visit those as a "rainy-day activity." I remember driving north on Route 8 at the speed limit of 45 mph or 50 mph, and, without hesitation, making a sharp left turn into the camp's long access road/driveway. My wife asked "how did you do that" and I didn't understand the question. She asked when I had last been there, and I answered "in 1972, as part of a visiting baseball team." I didn't know that was a rare skill.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:58 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
Easy, it was basically shaped like an H. It had two hallways with classes in them and a small one connecting them.

The HS I went to only maybe 300 students in it at a time, so there wasn't a lot of different classes/rooms to remember.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:07 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
I remember it very well. My high school has a very unique layout. From what I've been told, it has not changed at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology