Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 07:53 PM

799 posts, read 442,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
It seems not the more you grow, but the rather the more time progresses it seems you develop some sort of echo-shadow always having this in your mind going "Ah the days before"

Like why does this happen? Is not like history doesn't repeat itself, is not like everything changes and disappears. So why then this? Why do we get more nostalgic about things as the years and generations go by? We always admire the "past" no matter what

I guess it also depends where you live and how much of everything you experienced, I mean people always go "nowadays this and that" about something, even though some things remain and some don't.
Maybe because getting old basically sucks, and the world is getting worse politically and environmentally each year we live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 07:57 PM

799 posts, read 442,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I'm around 40, and I almost never think about my past. I love my life, and I look forward to the future. I'm not sure if I don't have a great memory, or if I forget because I don't reminisce, but my memories from childhood and even my teenage years are a bit fuzzy. They're not important to me. My husband and my kids are, my current friends are, my current job is, etc. High school is a lifetime ago (so it feels anyway), and is a complete non-factor in any part of my life.

I had a lot of family issues growing up, and I've just decided to forgive and forget, and I truly don't dwell on them.

I'm the happiest I've ever been, with no reason to look back.
Well just wait til your in your 60's. Then you'll be looking back more. I can pretty much guarantee it.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,647,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
It comes with the realisation that we have fewer years in front of us than behind. I'm 42 and I'll be content with another 18 so I can finish on a nice round number without going to seed.
42, and thinking back almost 40 yrs I never mentioned the word "old" at that time in my life. I was in my prime and enjoyed every minute of my 40's....stuff started a downward spiral after menopause in my early 50's and the topper was a messy hip replacement at 72...so here I am at going on 81 and in pain and bored more every day.

I'm outta my league in this thread kinda, except we all arrive at our ages.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:17 PM

102,124 posts, read 107,341,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Perhaps lol

Why aren't more schools teaching employment classes?
They used to. They used to offer "vocational technology", i.e. shop classes, but those got cut from some school budgets.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:19 PM

102,124 posts, read 107,341,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I'm around 40, and I almost never think about my past. I love my life, and I look forward to the future. I'm not sure if I don't have a great memory, or if I forget because I don't reminisce, but my memories from childhood and even my teenage years are a bit fuzzy. They're not important to me. My husband and my kids are, my current friends are, my current job is, etc. High school is a lifetime ago (so it feels anyway), and is a complete non-factor in any part of my life.

I had a lot of family issues growing up, and I've just decided to forgive and forget, and I truly don't dwell on them.

I'm the happiest I've ever been, with no reason to look back.
Yup. At 40, you're just hitting your stride; you still have everything to live for, lots to look forward to, ahead of you.

OP, you have even more ahead of you, a whole life to live! You've barely even begun, still in high school! If you're looking back already (to what? lol What's there to look back at, at your age?), how will you map and create your future? How will you even get a life for yourself?

If you're depressed, ask your parents if you can see someone for depression. Depression can really hold you back in life.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-21-2019 at 08:44 PM..

Old 02-22-2019, 06:26 AM

3,975 posts, read 8,137,498 times
I think for me thinking of the past happens because after years and years-50 or so you start talking with old friends -Because of social media in part or because of deaths of family and friends. You see people you haven't seen since high school or college days and the memories fly out your mouths. I find that it is mostly the fun times and good memories that we share.

I think we also start getting together more after retirement because there is more time and money so you can meet up and rekindle the friendships of the past. My friends are becoming snowbirds or full time residents of Florida so there have been several mini reunions down here in the last few years.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:35 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,133,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Well just wait til your in your 60's. Then you'll be looking back more. I can pretty much guarantee it.
I am eighty-one now. My experience has been the opposite of the above quote. When I hit my sixties my thoughts went back to past times less and less, and at this point it is rather rare that they do.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:38 AM

6,280 posts, read 4,164,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Well I’m 60 and I’m not doing that. Right now I am loving life, the upcoming travel adventures here and overseas, my health is the best it’s been for years since hiking all the trails in az, working on new art ideas in the studio, playing with the grandchildren, learning new things, etc. I have several friends older than me that are either starting a new business, working on exhibits, running non profits, traveling, taking up new hobbies , etc. sheesh you’d think by 60 everyone has suddenly descended into decrepitude and don’t have a life.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:44 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,292,604 times
Because the past is never just the past. It is part and parcel of our personal history with family, friends, schoolmates, strangers, co-workers. It makes and becomes a part of who we were then and who we are currently.

But do we really get more addicted to it? For me, I would have to say no. Remember it, learn from it, yes, but addicted to thinking about it or dwell on it, no.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:47 AM

6,280 posts, read 4,164,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I am eighty-one now. My experience has been the opposite of the above quote. When I hit my sixties my thoughts went back to past times less and less, and at this point it is rather rare that they do.
I hear you I had a friend who just turned 80 spend three weeks in Japan as part of a art residency program ,and she did some hiking. I’m not sure where people get the idea that olders stop living, learning, dreaming, doing?
“Myth 22: Boomers are winding down with age
They are actually quite active, as the typical Boomer regularly participates in an average of 10 activities and the participation extends beyond going to church or gardening. They are traveling (60 million took at least one trip last year), attending live sporting events (22 million) and bicycling (11 million), among other activities.”

https://www.immersionactive.com/reso...ng-to-boomers/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology