Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 02:30 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,720,391 times

Advertisements

It seems not the more you grow, but the rather the more time progresses it seems you develop some sort of echo-shadow always having this in your mind going "Ah the days before"

Like why does this happen? Is not like history doesn't repeat itself, is not like everything changes and disappears. So why then this? Why do we get more nostalgic about things as the years and generations go by? We always admire the "past" no matter what

I guess it also depends where you live and how much of everything you experienced, I mean people always go "nowadays this and that" about something, even though some things remain and some don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 08:03 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
For god's sake you are still a teenager. Why are you so negative?

Old 02-19-2019, 08:32 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
It seems not the more you grow, but the rather the more time progresses it seems you develop some sort of echo-shadow always having this in your mind going "Ah the days before"

Like why does this happen? Is not like history doesn't repeat itself, is not like everything changes and disappears. So why then this? Why do we get more nostalgic about things as the years and generations go by? We always admire the "past" no matter what

I guess it also depends where you live and how much of everything you experienced, I mean people always go "nowadays this and that" about something, even though some things remain and some don't.

Why? Well, I think that when we're younger, most of us do maintain blissful memories of events when they were younger...the days before struggling with more mundane realities such as getting a job, affording a place to live, paying bills, etc., kick in. Some of us may also tend to look at the past through rose-coloured glasses, preferring to remember 'the good old days' while filtering out much of the negativity that we experienced when we were younger. I suspect it's simply part of our human nature.

[With regard to the other response to your question: I didn't read your post as negative at all, Luciano700; just a curiosity and wanting to know 'why'.]

Old 02-19-2019, 08:40 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
For one thing there is so much of it!

Two, it's where all the good lessons were learned.

Three, it still gives me insight into the hows and whys of who I am today. I am still learning things about who people were in my life and why they acted the way they did.

This kind of insight is healing and helps to settle a lot of old hurts and misunderstandings that were mysteries when I was younger. So there is a lot to be learned from the past that can benefit me in the present.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:47 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Why do we get more nostalgic about things as the years and generations go by?

We always admire the "past" no matter what...
I don't, but I practice Thought Control...life is a dream anyway...why place my thought time on 'dream memories'? Even more unreal!!

"If you look down, that's what you get", from 'Molly's Game'..look up (focus on the things above as St. Paul says).
My input. And I, for one, did not see your op as negative.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:58 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
For one thing there is so much of it!

Two, it's where all the good lessons were learned.

Three, it still gives me insight into the hows and whys of who I am today. I am still learning things about who people were in my life and why they acted the way they did.

This kind of insight is healing and helps to settle a lot of old hurts and misunderstandings that were mysteries when I was younger. So there is a lot to be learned from the past that can benefit me in the present.

There's more of it as you age of course. You'll see OP, you'll be interested in the past years down the road.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:13 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
The past shapes and informs the present but beyond that it doesn’t mean everyone wears rose coloured glasses. There are nice memories but since I’m making new ones to add to the collection I don’t get hung on them. As another poster mentioned examining the past can also put life into context and new understanding/lessons.
I suspect for those trapped in unhappiness or immobilized due to serious health issues they may become nostalgic if a time when they were young, vibrant, validated and able to enjoy life.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:54 AM

804 posts, read 545,587 times
It is like this.

Between me now and being a teenager nothing has not really changed. Only that I know a lot more.

That being said you have to think about the promises you made to yourself and what you really consider yourself.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:24 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
I'll tell you why I do. Lots and lots of regrets and ruminating on those regrets. I wish my life had turned out completely differently and now time is running out. Also, I worried about such trivial things when I was young and rarely enjoyed being in the moment. I wish I had learned meditation when I was 10 years old vs. 48. Might have changed a lot of things. Well, that and some good mentors, which I had zero.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:59 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,720,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
For god's sake you are still a teenager. Why are you so negative?
What the hell does this have to do with anything? All people have this believe it or not, just look at people who are complaining about this generation and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology