Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2019, 02:32 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
More commonly, they are diagnosed before they enter school now. The most common early symptom is language delay, even in higher functioning kids, and most parents can see this very clearly. If your child still going “ah-ah-ah” and pointing to the apple juice at 30 months, or doesn’t maintain eye contact with mom, it’s pretty hard to deny. More people want services today than deny their child has a problem. It doesn’t have the stigma it used to. What they dug their heels in on is what they want in terms of classroom placement, home services, interventions, etc.
Bingo.

Teachers will accept the 80/20 rule for a class, but not 95/5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 03:25 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicjson View Post
dont cede to someone who doesnt know what theyre talking about-- its not just the dsm-v, its in the icd-10, and your points are based on facts and his are based on his own opinion-- an opinion that dovetails neatly with the people who insist that its wrong for a doctor to insist that morbid obesity exists and is a health concern, because feelings are INVARIABLY more valid than science. i support trans rights-- but i support the rights of scientists and the occupation of doctors as well. your opponent simply puts too much faith in his own opinion, and not enough in facts (and actual results.)

he actually thinks its a form of "intolerance" to diagnose someone with something that can result in them getting actual help, not pharmaceuticals (which they will get if it is misdiagnosed as something else-- as it often is, due to people denying that such things exist, like this guy does.) theres no reason to agree to disagree-- you can just disagree and be right, while he thinks whatever pleases him. however, his fairly stupid opinion denies people more than your facts. you dont have to point out the part that its stupid, but when he says his view is more tolerant, theres no reason not to. its got nothing to do with tolerance-- his is imaginary, as are the benefits.

Well I hardly need reply at all, after all those words you put in my mouth. But I will, later.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I love how people spout BS about topics they know nothing about, have never studied, have no work experience related to the topic, but are somehow experts enough to declare whether something is real or fake.

Ami Klin put together one of the better explanations regarding Asperger's syndrome that I've seen.
Oh, yeah, that's because it's in my field and in my years of experience.
My nephew had Asperger's. He's passed now...shot by LE. He was brought up in a place where they are less likely to accept such things. So, naturally, it was also considered that he would "come around". But, also due to living in a place that doesn't recognize and protect such people, he was surrounded by and taken advantage of by many predators.

As the lit says, they are very likely to be victims. This is especially true of a society which, like the OP, doesn't believe in it and therefore allows the "adult" to be preyed upon.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:33 PM

388 posts, read 200,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Well I hardly need reply at all, after all those words you put in my mouth. But I will, later.
i made a few assumptions based on what you said. i welcome you to correct the parts i got wrong about your stances, but i think what i said about your reasoning is probably "close enough." feel free to try to correct me on that too.

your posts are quite dismissive of people who know more about it and care more about it, it would seem-- not just on the authoritative side, but also the personal side. you did imply that your perspective is more tolerant, but maybe you didnt mean it was more tolerant-- in a way that would make anybody elses perspective "less" tolerant.

all in all, i think youve underthought this. but youre very free to set the record straight here. people have direct/close personal experience like the person who posted above, and you dont seem to be moved by the damage done by the "lets not use labels, this isnt really important" crowd.

you may not be on that side of this, but the sentiment is present in your argument. no ones charging you with a crime, theyre just saying youre wrong. i think you probably are. the rest is just commentary. but itd be nice if you figured it out, i dont think we are holding out for that to happen. its not up to us, your opinions are still yours, naturally.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Aspergers is not normally managed with drugs like ADD is. More typical treatment is speech therapy, occupational therapy and strategies to help the child succeed in school academically and socially. It is not fake at all. Worked with kids all over the spectrum from ASP burgers to full-blown autism and believe me it is real.
I feel the issue with Aspergers is it is not an easy to understand thing. I feel in a way I do have Aspergers like issues from working with kids on the Autism spectrum, but I wouldn't be that much there. Maybe if I grew up now, I could be seen that way, I'm not sure. That said, it isn't fake at all. What I do think is, people just can't define it and therefore call it fake or overblown. I work with kids and I think part of the reason we see more kids diagnosed with Autism and Aspergers is due to more knowledge and awareness of both of these conditions that we didn't have before.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:19 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times
It’s a real condition, but I feel like Aspbergers or "high functioning autism" has become the cool thing that people will self-diagnose. It’s almost a braggy thing some people do, or they use it to explain quirks or awkward behavior.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:03 PM

2,072 posts, read 889,940 times
Default What is Aspergers?

Danny Raede put it into words for me;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=OKwkm_DMjZw

Plus, it was FREE;

https://www.aspergerexperts.com/

And helped my family beyond words.

Last edited by MissPickel; 03-04-2019 at 05:21 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 05:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
I've had more of the traits, since birth decades ago, than most of the people talking about it on the net.. I'm nowhere near as "normal" as the worse case I've seen on YouTube.. I'm married with a degree and a job..

In school before the two-thousands, and in public, you were just a weird loner and moved on with life or shot up the school.. The federal and state governments tend to agree.. Typically cases I see on the net are far more socially qualified than me; no excuse for any form of dependence..

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...-overdiagnosed
I wonder, OP, if you have been diagnosed?

Old 03-05-2019, 08:11 AM

171 posts, read 156,839 times
This is what I have always felt about myself.
I was always extremely social and always "fit in" with other people as a child and teenager (seriously, I always hung out with at least 4-5 friends every single recess) and used lots of eye contact with people etc, and then I became somewhat depressed and awkward in my late teens some time in 2004 because of a variety of past events such as loss of contact with several friends from junior high school and my parents' divorce etc, and suddenly I had "Asperger's Syndrome"?
I know that it might seem overconfident to question a school therapist, but my gut feeling tells me that I don't actually have it;
I just cannot relate enough with people who show more obvious signs of it, and the only reason why I got it seems to be because I was depressed and socially awkward in my late teens.
I don't even have any problems with physical contact or with reading body language or anything like that either, which are apparently supposed to be some or the strongest symptoms.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:16 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus86 View Post
This is what I have always felt about myself.
I was always extremely social and always "fit in" with other people as a child and teenager (seriously, I always hung out with at least 4-5 friends every single recess) and used lots of eye contact with people etc, and then I became somewhat depressed and awkward in my late teens some time in 2004 because of a variety of past events such as loss of contact with several friends from junior high school and my parents' divorce etc, and suddenly I had "Asperger's Syndrome"?
I know that it might seem overconfident to question a school therapist, but my gut feeling tells me that I don't actually have it;
I just cannot relate enough with people who show more obvious signs of it, and the only reason why I got it seems to be because I was depressed and socially awkward in my late teens.
I don't even have any problems with physical contact or with reading body language or anything like that either, which are apparently supposed to be some or the strongest symptoms.

School psychologists cannot diagnose you with anything, only a doctor can. She may suspect you have it, but she cannot put in your records that you have it.

It is however a spectrum, some are on the very edge of the beginning, and some farther along. Just as some overweight people are only 10 pounds overweight and others 200 pounds. The symptoms of the person with 10# too much will be very different than the person 200 pounds overweight, but both can still be classified as overweight.

I've often suspected I'm on the very low edge of it too sometimes. I'm very social, but I do notice that when a stranger meets my eyes, my reflex is to look away. And I have a lot of sensory sensitivities, for instance bright lights bother me and I keep my house pretty dark, with just TV and an offset light in another room or just nightlights. Tight clothes, elastic on clothes, certain materials bothers me. I am also routine-dependent. None symptoms that really interfere in my life, except to the point that they can make me kind of annoying. My honey doesn't mind though, he's happy to sit in the dark with me, lol.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-05-2019 at 09:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology