Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 10:01 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicjson View Post
i still go to pick up my pizza, you privileged, toffee-nosed suburbanite *envyenvyenvy*

LOL! Seriously, you made me spit out my chai!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 10:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Who has time to notice the neighbors getting deliveries?

Old 03-09-2019, 10:37 AM

1,156 posts, read 941,209 times
The only people impressed by food delivery are the porch pirates who appreciate the quick meal while they make their rounds.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:17 AM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Here's an odd comment from a recent article. I see this kind of spiteful statement more and more and honestly don't understand where it comes from. The article was about restaurants and stores that offer home delivery.

"I get the feeling a lot of people order delivery of groceries and meals to perpetuate a `oh, we're so very busy with many important things' persona. They probably hope neighbors are looking out their windows when the delivery person pulls up in the driveway."

I used to hear this about cellphones, too, before cellphones became common. "Oh, they just want people to think they're important." No consideration whatsoever given to the idea that a mobile phone is a useful tool. Sure, I bought one because I want to be admired.

Is it feelings of inadequacy? Envy?
Ok, the food delivery thing, sure everybody does it, so I really can't see anyone thinking it's impressive. But you have to admit that back in the day there were 'those guys' who made sure to pull out their twenty pound bricks in every checkout line or restaurant ever and have the loudest conversations possible so that people would know how indispensable they were. Those guys are still around, they've just changed toys.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:24 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
*I* make sure to instruct the delivery guy to honk his horn several times so that the neighbors see me getting my pizza delivered. I also ask him to take as much time as possible swaggering up the walk so that if anyone is late getting to their windows, they won't miss the magnificence of the occasion.

I also write "THIS PIZZA WAS DELIVERED!!!" on the box before I put it in the garbage bin outside, making sure it sticks out far enough for the writing to be seen.

Yep, I'm even cooler..... <snort>
Even though I order a small pizza I request the largest box to convey to the neighbors "We're crazy rich! Read it and weep!"

Old 03-09-2019, 11:25 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Who has time to notice the neighbors getting deliveries?
Since I'm retired I needed a hobby, something productive to do with my time.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,624 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Anybody here a fan of BBC's comedy "Keeping Up Appearances"?

This thread is just making me laugh.

I could see Hyacinth Bucket making a big deal about getting Hello Fresh delivered, putting her huge cell phone out in public, etc.

Really funny show but it's always the same plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEmznMX-jV0

Old 03-09-2019, 12:12 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,358,240 times
Quote:
Here's an odd comment from a recent article. I see this kind of spiteful statement more and more and honestly don't understand where it comes from. The article was about restaurants and stores that offer home delivery.

"I get the feeling a lot of people order delivery of groceries and meals to perpetuate a `oh, we're so very busy with many important things' persona. They probably hope neighbors are looking out their windows when the delivery person pulls up in the driveway."

I used to hear this about cellphones, too, before cellphones became common. "Oh, they just want people to think they're important." No consideration whatsoever given to the idea that a mobile phone is a useful tool. Sure, I bought one because I want to be admired.

I work as hard as anyone and have nearly no time with two young kids 10 and 8. Yet, I go out and do my own grocery shopping, my own lawn on weekends, etc. I do not envy them I think they are lazy and just wasting money on things they can easily do if they made the time. I have plenty of money to blow on those things but simply choose to not pay anyone to do what I can do myself.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:23 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
If I heard someone say that, I would stay away from that person, knowing that's the way THEY think. I seriously doubt it's true about everyone who gets delivery LOL.

In my experience, people aren't paying that much attention to others anyway.
I agree with this, and find the original sentiment narcissistic (not in the technical sense). Why would they think it has ANYTHING to with them or other neighbors?

It is such an unpleasant view of something that is none of their business.

I can explain one case, my sister had meal delivery. Why? Because she had just started a new job with lots of travel, and her house had burned down, so it offered some much needed convenience at the time. I am next to positive she did not give any thought to what the neighbors might think.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-09-2019, 12:26 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:

This has become a big business and even with the younger generations. I'm much older and gave up my auto and hence driving and now have delivery two times a month from my favorite market and what a godsend it is. The driver brings the bags in and puts the water bottles where I store them and then for other stuff I use, my friends and neighbors help me. Yes one pays for services but I have NO CAR EXPENSE after 60 some yrs of driving.

And I have not owned a cell phone and thought over the years I could use one, but somehow I've made it..

My much older neighbor still has to get social services to take her to market, she no longer drives and never got a computer. Many much older folks are not on computers. Some may have been and just quit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology