Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 07:25 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,750,721 times

Advertisements

Neighbors do not stare out windows at anything, and for those few that do, they are whacks anyway and no one cares to impress them. Also, who in the world even knows what is being delivered? And I never heard of food delivery being some sort of status symbol, it is food delivery, that is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 08:20 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,212,926 times
Smile Not enough time - and tonight we lose an hour....

My life is always chaotic; always busy. All good.

After several client appointments today, I asked my husband if we could get a quick bite to eat "out" rather than take out and he was "we have too much work to do" so I don't spend my time worrying about what others are doing.

I have enough deadlines of my own.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:34 AM

23,162 posts, read 26,118,923 times
The ones that take advantage of all those services aren't the ones trying to impress.
It's the ones that have to incessantly brag about it because their oblivious neighbors never noticed!

Old 03-10-2019, 05:52 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,775,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Here's an odd comment from a recent article. I see this kind of spiteful statement more and more and honestly don't understand where it comes from. The article was about restaurants and stores that offer home delivery.

"I get the feeling a lot of people order delivery of groceries and meals to perpetuate a `oh, we're so very busy with many important things' persona. They probably hope neighbors are looking out their windows when the delivery person pulls up in the driveway."

I used to hear this about cellphones, too, before cellphones became common. "Oh, they just want people to think they're important." No consideration whatsoever given to the idea that a mobile phone is a useful tool. Sure, I bought one because I want to be admired.

Is it feelings of inadequacy? Envy?

The very last thing that would ever impress me would be groceries being delivered to someone. Why you would even suggest that is hard to understand.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:47 AM
bjh

59,952 posts, read 30,275,344 times
OP did not suggest it. Are there really this many people who can't understand the first post?

OP, I think it's a comment made by narcissists about people innocently at the cutting edge of using new services or technology. The narcissists haven't used the new thing yet, so they feel outdone. Ridiculous of them, but isn't that often the case with those types?

Old 03-10-2019, 12:55 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,733,154 times
Back in the days when only doctors, drug dealers and VIP's had cell phones I had a friend who often took a fake cell phone with him to the clubs to impress the ladies. He wore it on his belt so it could be seen at all times and would even occasionally take the phone out and have fake conversations on it so the women would see him using it. It was amusing to watch. He was actually quite successful with the ladies but I don't know how many of them were actually impressed by the phone. There is a lot of superficiality to the club scene though so perhaps some were.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:04 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,551,027 times
If someone had groceries delivered to their front door I wouldn't think anything about it. That they were doing it to impress me would never come to mind and I think it's ridiculous to think that's the reason anyone would have home delivery. It's just the next logical step after having all those Amazon boxes delivered. One less errand that needs to be run. Don't read too much into it.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:54 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,783 posts, read 4,137,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Who has time to notice the neighbors getting deliveries?

Too many of my neighbors. Forget privacy where I live.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:45 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,543,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Here's an odd comment from a recent article. I see this kind of spiteful statement more and more and honestly don't understand where it comes from. The article was about restaurants and stores that offer home delivery.

"I get the feeling a lot of people order delivery of groceries and meals to perpetuate a `oh, we're so very busy with many important things' persona. They probably hope neighbors are looking out their windows when the delivery person pulls up in the driveway."

I used to hear this about cellphones, too, before cellphones became common. "Oh, they just want people to think they're important." No consideration whatsoever given to the idea that a mobile phone is a useful tool. Sure, I bought one because I want to be admired.

Is it feelings of inadequacy? Envy?
Anyone who thinks this is projecting. This thought would never cross my mind. These are the thoughts of a person who would do this exact thing themselves but doesn't want anyone to know it.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:12 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,549,098 times
Anyone who thinks grocery delivery is an expensive luxury is just behind the times. Where I live, Instacart only charges 5.99 per delivery, or 99.00 per year for as many deliveries as you want. My days of lugging in heavy bottles of bleach or 24 rolls of TP are over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology