Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 05:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Interesting conversations = running into friends/locals and having something to talk about. It probably happens more often than not, but I haven't kept track. The point was is that I have the freedom to stop working if I choose — or not. I probably go to the coffee shop twice a month, so it's a marginal issue anyway.

I mentioned billable hours in response to a remark about people who work on their laptops in public having hectic lifestyles that leave them short on time. I work about four hours per day, so I'm hardly tethered to my laptop, short on time, or at anyone's "beck and call." In other words, I'm not sure it's accurate or fair to assume than anyone who's working on a laptop in public is doing so because life is running them so ragged that they've got no other choice and therefore deserving of pity. Some of them may simply be looking at cat vids instead of working anyway.
I actually made the comment about people working on their commute to work. That's a little different from taking a laptop into a coffee shop. Actually if I had to work, or wanted to work (neither of which is the case) I would PREFER working from a coffee shop rather than an office. Good for you if that's what you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 03:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

For the record, if my choices were "grocery shopping at WalMart or home delivery" I promise you, I'd choose home delivery EVERY time, because I absolutely hate stepping foot into any WalMart. So there's that. But we have a local grocery store that's a joy to shop in - for me, the foodie, it's a truly interesting tactile experience - so that's another reason why I prefer to do my own wandering through the grocery store. Oh my gosh, the produce department...the cheese department...the meat department...!

But like you, I also enjoy wandering through antique shops and farmer's markets. Hey, my husband and I are taking a road trip to Round Top, TX to the antique fair there which has the requirement that EVERYTHING displayed there is an actual antique, no reproductions! That's in April. My husband keeps calling it Rock Top and I keep calling it Round Head but I digress.
It's my mistake, Kathryn. I was conflating something you said with something a prior poster and getting tangental because, well, Nighttime Thera-flu. I have no idea of why I thought it was a good idea to stay up and post on City-Data last night.

The supermarket shopping experience here is dreadful. No Walmart, just a Safeway with too many people, not enough staff, but good enough stock. There's a Market of Choice I go that's maybe 70 miles from here every now and then for the kind of experience you describe, though, and because it's the only place that ever seems to sell a certain type of grapes that I like.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It's my mistake, Kathryn. I was conflating something you said with something a prior poster and getting tangental because, well, Nighttime Thera-flu. I have no idea of why I thought it was a good idea to stay up and post on City-Data last night.

The supermarket shopping experience here is dreadful. No Walmart, just a Safeway with too many people, not enough staff, but good enough stock. There's a Market of Choice I go that's maybe 70 miles from here every now and then for the kind of experience you describe, though, and because it's the only place that ever seems to sell a certain type of grapes that I like.
No worries!

By the way, Thera Flu - wow, that stuff will mess me up BIG TIME. However, it WILL make me sleep like a log which is what I suspect our bodies want to do when we have the flu. But I will dream crazy dreams that seem incredibly real, I will sleep for 12 hours and then wake up and not remember that I got up, went to the bathroom, ate something, and fell back on the sofa to continue my bizarre dreams.

I can't imagine what I'd post if I got on the computer!

Ugh to the grocery store shopping you have to endure - or rather, don't have to now - LOL!

Old 03-23-2019, 12:58 PM

438 posts, read 269,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Here's an odd comment from a recent article. I see this kind of spiteful statement more and more and honestly don't understand where it comes from. The article was about restaurants and stores that offer home delivery.

"I get the feeling a lot of people order delivery of groceries and meals to perpetuate a `oh, we're so very busy with many important things' persona. They probably hope neighbors are looking out their windows when the delivery person pulls up in the driveway."

I used to hear this about cellphones, too, before cellphones became common. "Oh, they just want people to think they're important." No consideration whatsoever given to the idea that a mobile phone is a useful tool. Sure, I bought one because I want to be admired.

Is it feelings of inadequacy? Envy?

I agree, it's very odd and judgmental. I just see it as one journalist's opinion, which says more about him/her than the subject of home deliveries. Seems like the journalist has feelings of inadequacy.

This thread is great. Too funny! It's a different perspective for me, as I live in the country and neither pizza nor grocery delivery is available. We have more privacy than you can shake a stick at. If I want to know what the neighbors are up to, I have to drive by very, very slowly. Or - get this! - actually knock on the door and visit! Human connection. It's never really gone out of style in some backwaters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology