U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:30 AM

6,455 posts, read 3,977,722 times

Advertisements

Here's an odd comment from a recent article. I see this kind of spiteful statement more and more and honestly don't understand where it comes from. The article was about restaurants and stores that offer home delivery.

"I get the feeling a lot of people order delivery of groceries and meals to perpetuate a `oh, we're so very busy with many important things' persona. They probably hope neighbors are looking out their windows when the delivery person pulls up in the driveway."

I used to hear this about cellphones, too, before cellphones became common. "Oh, they just want people to think they're important." No consideration whatsoever given to the idea that a mobile phone is a useful tool. Sure, I bought one because I want to be admired.

Is it feelings of inadequacy? Envy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:50 AM

493 posts, read 187,112 times
"My neighbors are doing this because they're trying to impress me" - Is it feelings of inadequacy? Envy?

Yes, I think so.

To me, in the earlier time, I did not care who had a cell phone or not. And I didn't/don't care who have groceries and meals delivered to their homes or not. It's none of my business. I'm too busy working everyday; I don't have time or don't care at all to sit by the window (on my days off) to look out on the streets to see who's coming to deliver what or to visit whom. That's ridiculous. I think those people have not much important things to do in their life, but are too idle and like to spy on people and criticize others. They are nosy and can be gossipers also.

Old Today, 08:19 AM

14,396 posts, read 7,875,515 times
Sure...but early adopters are also usually paying a premium price as well. So yes, they may be envied as being "cool" and well off, and in some ways "important". The same could be said for all those who got the roombas, smart home stuff, etc. Nothing essential, but cool. Slowly it gets cheaper and more available to everyone so less cool.

Old Today, 08:53 AM

41,114 posts, read 39,803,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

"I get the feeling a lot of people order delivery of groceries and meals to perpetuate a `oh, we're so very busy with many important things' persona. They probably hope neighbors are looking out their windows when the delivery person pulls up in the driveway."
If I heard someone say that, I would stay away from that person, knowing that's the way THEY think. I seriously doubt it's true about everyone who gets delivery LOL.

In my experience, people aren't paying that much attention to others anyway.

Old Today, 09:09 AM

39 posts, read 4,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Is it feelings of inadequacy? Envy?
Yes...but not in the neighbor. In the person noticing the neighbor. Probably mixed with a tinge of self-righteousness.

Old Today, 09:16 AM

11,092 posts, read 6,246,447 times
When they deliver my pizza I feel so cool.

Old Today, 09:19 AM

204 posts, read 21,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
i still go to pick up my pizza, you privileged, toffee-nosed suburbanite *envyenvyenvy*

Old Today, 10:01 AM

1,816 posts, read 875,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
*I* make sure to instruct the delivery guy to honk his horn several times so that the neighbors see me getting my pizza delivered. I also ask him to take as much time as possible swaggering up the walk so that if anyone is late getting to their windows, they won't miss the magnificence of the occasion.

I also write "THIS PIZZA WAS DELIVERED!!!" on the box before I put it in the garbage bin outside, making sure it sticks out far enough for the writing to be seen.

Yep, I'm even cooler..... <snort>

Old Today, 10:21 AM

5,644 posts, read 4,325,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
*I* make sure to instruct the delivery guy to honk his horn several times so that the neighbors see me getting my pizza delivered. I also ask him to take as much time as possible swaggering up the walk so that if anyone is late getting to their windows, they won't miss the magnificence of the occasion.

I also write "THIS PIZZA WAS DELIVERED!!!" on the box before I put it in the garbage bin outside, making sure it sticks out far enough for the writing to be seen.

Yep, I'm even cooler..... <snort>
LOL. One day I can only hope Iíll be as cool as you.

It makes you wonder how much time some people have that theyíre watching their neighbors so closely. Itís weird and more than a bit creepy.

Old Today, 11:00 AM

6,455 posts, read 3,977,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sure...but early adopters are also usually paying a premium price as well. So yes, they may be envied as being "cool" and well off, and in some ways "important". The same could be said for all those who got the roombas, smart home stuff, etc. Nothing essential, but cool. Slowly it gets cheaper and more available to everyone so less cool.
Yeah, I bought two of the first Roomba model, had a very early cellphone, had the first iPhone (and later, the 3G because I wanted two "lines") but I assure you we are the last thing from "cool." I would be shocked to discover anyone considers us such.

We're nerds. Not stylish, not fashionable, not au courant. We just know what we like. If others are measuring themselves against that, that's their problem. But I'm certainly not aware of it.

BTW, the new house is chock full of smart home stuff. It's mostly a PITA. It still doesn't make coffee or warm up leftovers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or