Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 07:41 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times

Advertisements

Normally I felt neither way. The one birthday that bothered me was 50 and I will be 65 at the end of the year so I'm pretty sure that one and everyone one after 70 ARE going to upset me especially since inside I feel 25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 08:59 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
I don’t like it because I don’t like aging.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:31 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
I didn't think id make this far.....each birthday more is a win

Old 03-17-2019, 10:39 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I didn't think id make this far.....each birthday more is a win
I think so too. No matter what else I have to worry about in life, dying young is no longer one of them, lol. To me it’s like “Made it!”. Of course I don’t like the thought of being elderly (I work in nursing homes and old age is definitely not for sissies as (I believe) Bette Davis said, but I do appreciate the moments more. I wasted a lot of my youth worrying about anything and everything. I also didn’t meet the love of my life till my fifties, so birthdays now are awesome. Like another poster said, 50 was a tough one, but mainly due to being in a bad relationship and being dissapointed in my friends celebration of it with me. The only birthday I ever cried about getting older was believe it or not, my 25th!

It helps working in nursing homes where at almost 57 I get told I’m still a baby lol. There is merit to that, in that NOW 57 might sound old, but when (if) I’m 75, 57 will seem young. So you might as well feel young and enjoy your age now cause one day you’ll wish you were this age again!

Old 03-17-2019, 03:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think so too. No matter what else I have to worry about in life, dying young is no longer one of them, lol. To me it’s like “Made it!”. Of course I don’t like the thought of being elderly (I work in nursing homes and old age is definitely not for sissies as (I believe) Bette Davis said, but I do appreciate the moments more. I wasted a lot of my youth worrying about anything and everything. I also didn’t meet the love of my life till my fifties, so birthdays now are awesome. Like another poster said, 50 was a tough one, but mainly due to being in a bad relationship and being dissapointed in my friends celebration of it with me. The only birthday I ever cried about getting older was believe it or not, my 25th!

It helps working in nursing homes where at almost 57 I get told I’m still a baby lol. There is merit to that, in that NOW 57 might sound old, but when (if) I’m 75, 57 will seem young. So you might as well feel young and enjoy your age now cause one day you’ll wish you were this age again!
Yes. I wish I were 60 again. My 60th birthday was a great one, because I retired then. I felt so happy for a number of months.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:07 PM

356 posts, read 175,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Sounds like a boring way to live life, honestly. I notice similar attitudes about all kinds of things and it just proves people martyr themselves out of some sense of “maturity” like they’re real adults for forgoing fun and “accepting responsibility.” Yet most of this so called responsibility is imagined, a product of their own poor life choices, and they want brownie points for living a mundane existence full of chores. None given here, sorry.
This is quite a stretch to make a diatribe about people that may not want a big deal made about their birthday.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:12 PM

356 posts, read 175,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
The only birthday I didn't enjoy was my 50th. I was a bit out of sorts and didn't want a celebration. Generally I enjoy birthdays to the extent that I even notice them. It's true I'm getting older, and the ones I love are getting older, health issues are more of a concern, but it's all part of the cycle of life: From dust to dust. I have no idea what's on the other side of death. maybe a new adventure? I know this; I've never talked to a dead person so it's all a mystery to me.

Carpe Diem!
For whatever reason this was true for me too. I felt a lot of pressure to celebrate it according to the wishes of others, rather than how I wanted to celebrate it. That apparently bothered some people who like to celebrate adult birthdays in one certain way no matter what.

Overall, celebrating my birthday as an adult doesn't rank too high on my enjoyment/priority list but I don't hate it either.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:49 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Just another day. I will go to lunch with friends but I do that several times a week. People will call me but that happens everyday anyway. I live a pretty good life so I don't have a need to make one day more important than another.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:15 PM

317 posts, read 307,942 times
I try not to think about it and even try to forget when that day comes. If I think about it, it would make me sad, probably just sad at the life I've wasted working so much and not really ever doing anything fun or exciting. 47 is coming in a few weeks, sure there is plenty of time to change that. But I've become so stuck in my routine, I don't even know if I want to change. I usually don't even remember how old I am and have to count on my fingers to figure it out, and then when I do, it shocks me. The wife always wants to make a big deal out of it, getting me things or going out to dinner. I tell her not to, its just another day.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:46 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
It makes me happy. I get cake and i buy myself a nice little present!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology