Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 06:08 AM

801 posts, read 609,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I don't know about bad energy but when someone's wives keep dying oddly I would look at the husband, life insurance policies of said husband and not the energy from the house.

I bought a "flip" house years ago that some swore was haunted. There were rumors that people had died it in mysteriously in the past.

It had less windows than it should and that give it an odd feel to it. But haunted. I did not think so. But hey if someone wants to believe there are things that go "bump" in the night more power to ya.
These were different husbands. Three deaths in eleven years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 07:15 AM

19,452 posts, read 8,997,875 times
To answer the question: Yes, I am, although not regarding TV evangelists or miracle drugs, as my gullibility is mostly about urban legends, political fear-mongering (conspiracy theories and impending disaster scenarios), and toward people who are actually part of my life. I think this is because I am open-minded and trusting -- often TOO open-minded and trusting. I have always been this way, although I am getting a bit more skeptical in my old age.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:52 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,665,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I would bet most Victorian style houses that were built near the beginning of the 20th century have been the "house of death" for more than one person over the course of a 120 year time span.
Especially as dying at home was far more common in those days. I could easily see a house built after WWII as never having a death within it, even if residents died while living there - they would have been rushed to a hospital or hospice or long-term care. I'd be surprised if a house built around 1880 did not have several deaths in its history.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:56 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,204,662 times
You think you might be gullible, or easily fooled?

Get yourself a Ouija board and find out for sure.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:55 PM

20,215 posts, read 14,443,385 times
I consider myself to be whatever the opposite of gullible is. Skeptical? Maybe not just that. I've got a keen sort of intuition that I believe is just the brain of a childhood abuse survivor, of a specific kind. Dealing with erratic parents (one with a drinking problem) you learn to read people's behavior, to attempt to keep yourself safe. Be silent, don't provoke them, watch carefully, and act accordingly. There will be times you should probably hide, so you need to know how to spot them.

That's why I think I can usually tell when people are being dishonest. I can spot their tells, without even thinking about it. But I'm sure that many people don't know that I am on to them, because I don't usually call anyone out on it. I just mentally note the theory in my mind, and then when the truth becomes known, I nod and mark it confirmed.

But ghost stories and such? Well, I find such things interesting. I'm open minded to hearing the story (I love stories! And ghost stories often have interesting historical connections) and I am open to being in a place, looking and listening. But nothing has ever happened to convince me. I have no fear of anything "paranormal" though because I believe that all things are of nature, and none of it can harm me. I visited Waverly Hills Sanitorium once. It didn't feel scary, just sad. But I'd just heard all of these tragic stories, so... I also had this odd belief growing up that the monster or ghost or whatever in any story, is just misunderstood and I used to dream of being the one to make friends with them...it's the human monsters that are worth worrying about. Not the spirits of the dead.

A funny I saw on FB recently: "If you hear a weird noise in the night, make a weirder noise to assert dominance."

Old 04-02-2019, 01:03 PM

892 posts, read 478,255 times
extreme behavior tends to be a "red flag" about trustworthiness.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:27 AM
Status: "Repub's IVF ruling is anti-family and anti-America" (set 3 days ago)

5,782 posts, read 3,563,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
Hey y'all.While out walking my dog, I recently walked on a porch and looked into a vacant home in our neighborhood because the blinds were open. I was just curious how it was coming along. Someone bought it, did some work on it and never moved in. As we continue to walk, my neighbors stops us and says-hey I wouldn't walk up on that porch that house is cursed! She said the guy that owned it committed suicide and the previous owner died of cancer. So of course she said she just knew I would freak out when she told me that evil spirit probably got me when I walked on the porch. (I felt no bad ju-ju) She and her husband just laughed because they knew it was freaking me out. I've been paranoid ever since! Why am I so gullible! I guess I need to stop watching all of that scifi stuff!
I agree the neighbors were uncalled for - especially when they get thrills out of putting you in actual distress (freaking out and such). I'm assuming you aren't close friends of theirs. Society wouldn't put up with making fun of people with untreated dyslexia or some other academic learning disorder. Why should it be acceptable to make fun of people who have trouble telling truth from falsehoods? People like that should be treated with compassion, not as a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Stop believing everything people tell you.

The world is full of people that will take advantage of you...remember that when you next hear something that sounds ridiculous. If it sounds ridiculous then it most likely is....
It's simply not enough to tell the person "Stop believing everything people tell you.". How does a person stop believing what they tell them? If a person has great difficulty evaluating that information (whether for cognitive, emotional, or uncritically assumed notions, etc), then telling them to "Stop believeing" is as unreasonable as telling a first week USAF Academy cadet "Go fly that F-22".

As for "sounding ridiculous", where do you set the bar for something sounding ridiculous? Why set the bar "this high" instead of "that high". Set the bar too high and you're into paranoia. Set the bar too low and you're literally at a pre-schooler's level. In short, how do you know where to set the bar if you don't know what makes Point A the place to set the bar instead of point M or Z? and even that assumes you know what an A or M or Z is when you see it. Chances are you and I have at least slightly different definitions, standards, and criteria for what an A or M or Z is.

And this is beside the fact that lots of attitudes and beliefs we see as ridiculous today were accepted as "basic common sense truth" not even half a generation ago. "Transgenderism is a mental disorder" and "Homosexuality is a mental disorder" most famously. Both claims proved unfounded despite 95% of people in even fairly recent times agreeing with these claims - often fervently. And don't even ask about the so-believed "dangers of racial dilution" as late as a couple of generations ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology