Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 12:53 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,050,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree. I think you’re misunderstanding her point. She’s not saying gamers spend more time than golfers etc, she’s saying they get more defensive about it when questioned. Again your apparent anger is only demonstrating that more.

And I reject her perception as demonstrated fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 12:57 PM

356 posts, read 174,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
A post on here doesn’t have enough power to anger me but nice try. Numerous posters here have explained why gamers are defensive but apparently some people are not getting it

People in general get defensive when they are asked to justify how they spend time.
The question NEVER WAS why gamers get defensive.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:03 PM

6,277 posts, read 4,140,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post

Old 04-15-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Excusing your cut and paste typo, the difference may be in the MANNER and FREQUENCY one is asked to explain themselves.

And I don't necessarily agree with you that there IS any difference. That is your perception and your perception bias may be seeing the difference you want to see not an actual difference.
Yeah the bias argument. While I understand it, I can't say that I agree, necessarily. This isn't something I'm spending lots of time discussing or looking to "see", just something that bubbled to the surface recently, triggered by a thread here about people being "too busy." I just thought back on my own experience and it seems this way. If that triggers an automatic response of, "bias!" I guess so be it.

But you may have answered my question with a solid idea: maybe the FREQUENCY of discussing problem gaming is at a peak, and those gamers are feeling extra attacked? Maybe the FF people are feeling a sigh of relief to not be in the spotlight as much?

Old 04-15-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post

Really!

“Gosh, though, anyone ever ask someone about their gaming habit and NOT get a super defensive response?
I wonder why.
Thoughts?”
AND
“My question was more about why (if you have experienced this too) gaming for long periods of time seems to create a more defensive response than an equal amount of some other pastime.”
AND
“I find the gamers are more defensive about their activity than other people who indulge in other equally unproductive activities, almost as if they believe gaming itself is fundamentally different”

Okay then

Old 04-15-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
How would one determine "fact" in this sort of thing? Raise $$ to do a peer reviewed study? Like that will ever happen...

Old 04-15-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Really!

“Gosh, though, anyone ever ask someone about their gaming habit and NOT get a super defensive response?
I wonder why.
Thoughts?”
AND
“My question was more about why (if you have experienced this too) gaming for long periods of time seems to create a more defensive response than an equal amount of some other pastime.”
AND
“I find the gamers are more defensive about their activity than other people who indulge in other equally unproductive activities, almost as if they believe gaming itself is fundamentally different”

Okay then
Sigh,

It's why gamers seem to be more defensive than others doing similarly non-productive things.

And I think the most reasonable explanation offered here so far is that perhaps gamers are the current target du jour for people looking to question non-productive habits. So maybe that will pass in a few years and some other thing will become the target?

Old 04-15-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Sigh,

It's why gamers seem to be more defensive than others doing similarly non-productive things.

And I think the most reasonable explanation offered here so far is that perhaps gamers are the current target du jour for people looking to question non-productive habits. So maybe that will pass in a few years and some other thing will become the target?

Yea duh

Old 04-15-2019, 01:45 PM

50,130 posts, read 35,769,056 times
Quote:
A post on here doesn’t have enough power to anger me but nice try. Numerous posters here have explained why gamers are defensive but apparently some people are not getting it

People in general get defensive when they are asked to justify how they spend time.
They’re usually only asked when A. They aren’t meeting their obligations to others due to gaming, or B. They are spending so much time to the exclusion of all else that it becomes concerning.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:47 PM

50,130 posts, read 35,769,056 times
Quote:
Sure it was. Original post, second paragraph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology