Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 11:53 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,636,011 times

Advertisements

I've always felt it pointless to live for myself, so before I had children, life was utterly depressing. I'd much rather take care of or help someone, so maybe OP can do that. Volunteer some place and it'll become meaningful to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 12:09 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,557,601 times
I don't think it is pointless to live on one's own at all. Or pointless to live for oneself.

I wouldn't want the OP to think that most everyone feels that way or that it is a universal feeling.

Plenty of people live alone - it is very common in the U.S. - and after divorce or when older or when one has not found a love interest at younger ages.

I know 'living for oneself' can definitely be different from living on one's own.
Plenty of people do not have a love interest nor do they have children.
But even in those circumstances life can be very enjoyable.

OP, do you think you might feel better or worse if you retired? You speak of working very hard. Any plans to retirement at a particular age? Or do you think that might not help?

Old 04-17-2019, 02:07 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,115,109 times
Go to a shelter and pick out the most frightened dog or cat you see. Nurturing a desperate animal will fulfill your need to provide love and support and will give you a good reason to leave work at a reasonable time. Seriously.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:26 PM

815 posts, read 974,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Go to a shelter and pick out the most frightened dog or cat you see. Nurturing a desperate animal will fulfill your need to provide love and support and will give you a good reason to leave work at a reasonable time. Seriously.

I agree, 100%

Old 04-17-2019, 07:14 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,842,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
And the dog has to go out, or the cat box had to be cleaned, it’s non-stop! I need animals, and would never be without them.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:33 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,171,748 times
I agree too. Find a dog or cat -- your name, BearsDad, indicates you did have pet that you cared enough for to make him your name ....and his Dad. Find a new furkid that really needs you- and we know they ALL need you.

They can't say what they need which means YOU have to find out. You have to spend the time, the care, the attention, the love. In return, YOU get unconditional love.

I personally can't think of anything more wonderful to have.

oh ... another thought- while you are searching for a new furbaby- pay attention to all the lovely ladies who are there and like furkids too. You might find that helping out at a shelter, and meeting new friends, is just what you needed.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:48 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
I work hard and long hours and make good money. I live in a great house and have all the toys a guy could ever want. But, I find myself feeling like I am useless. I have always had someone to take care of and after my divorce I just feel like there is no purpose in my life. Kill myself working and have nobody to share the fruits of my labor with. Anyone else feel this way? How do you get past it?
It's got to come from you, why to keep going. The alternative is death for eternity, so keep looking.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:05 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,257,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
The purpose of life is to be alive.
That right there is enough to depress a mud puppy.

We were created to fellowship with our creator! Knock and the door will be opened.

What have you got to lose?

Old 04-18-2019, 06:27 AM

15,209 posts, read 10,238,419 times
OP - I see you are going to volunteer at an animal shelter. That's a good start. How about checking into being a Big Brother also.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:02 AM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
OP - I see you are going to volunteer at an animal shelter. That's a good start. How about checking into being a Big Brother also.
Where is this on this thread? I haven't found much in the way of responses from the OP at all. Where does he say, he's going to volunteer? Is that on another thread somewhere? Please link it, if so.

OP, have you done much socializing? Getting involved with charitable organizations, you can meet women in a similar situation to yours, too. John and Tereza Kerry first met at a fund-raising dinner. With your income level, you might even be able to get involved as a board member of an organization, if you found one whose work really speaks to you. There are a lot of possibilities out there, for re-engagement with the world, and with meaningful activity. Seek, and ye shall find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology