Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2019, 10:20 AM

543 posts, read 938,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
See a doctor.
Did. Got prescribed bupropian.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 10:39 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,536,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Did. Got prescribed bupropian.
Get off the drugs and try to take life less seriously. I've been indecisive my whole life, and while it's annoying I don't think getting zombified is the answer.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:26 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,212,854 times
Quote:
I do
That is if I play! I can't focus for more than 10 minutes be it a game or a movie. In 2009 I could watch 2 films a day, now I can barely finish 15 minutes even if I am enjoying the film. Its a combination of many things, hence my desire to try medication.
ADD kids usually have no trouble locking onto video games. The fast, frantic visuals usually keep up with their thought patterns.
I'd seek out instruction on how to obtain self discipline, including goal setting, scheduling', following through on plans, etc. Basic life skills you seem to have missed.
You can do this! It's called adulting.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:29 AM

22,934 posts, read 18,241,391 times
Quote:
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy seems expensive and time consuming. Maybe I'll check it out but I believe its more of a biological/neurological/chemical thing and meds can help better,.
Just falling back on medications only is sort of a hit-or-miss approach. Therapy may seem expensive but it can help figure out just what is going on in your mind that triggers your behavior, and also how to work around it. A med by itself can't teach you any coping skills. Therapy can focus and clarify why you behave the way you do. You could end up NOT needing more medication but possibly less or a different type. That's not a bad thing is it? Why spend money on prescriptions that might not help and wasting years in the process? Even if you do end up needing a med to help you function, wouldn't it be better to at least understand WHY there is a biochemical component to your behavior? I would think so. There are always people who scream that medications are never useful or that they are some sort of panacea, but properly used they can help someone cope until the cognitive/emotional trouble is found. They are intended to be tools...just like therapy. The combination is what ends up working.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:57 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,630,749 times
OP simply cannot decide. I can't decide either. Why? Because I know that I get bored quickly, so I'm afraid if I commit to something, I will be stuck in misery forever. I had no problem picking a major in college; the problem was which direction to go AFTER I graduated? So many paths to take, impossible to decide.

I'm scared of the outcome of a decision. Not for simply daily things like what jeans to wear, but big decisions like career direction or a decision that affects a bunch of people. I'm afraid the outcome will go wrong and I will regret it. Which is why I never could decide and then stick with anything. I'm terrified of the bad consequences that can happen.

I'm thrilled when someone decides for me and I'm forced to go along. Then I don't have to decide. I find that I'm not as miserable as I thought.

That's what happened to me. My in-laws have a family business and when I was laid off, instead of staying home, I tagged along with my husband to his job there. And I've been there ever since. So my husband sort of decided for me. And I'm very happy here.

It's low self esteem and low confidence for sure to be unsure all the time. My co-worker is the same way and I can see it in his body language and the hesitation in his voice when he asks me something. He is just so unsure of everything at work. It's a terrible mindset to have and terrible to be stuck with this kind of personality.

It's part of your natural personality. No one wants or chooses to be this way. My son is the same way. He's only 10 and I can already see he doesn't tknow what he wants. OP can only force himself/herself to pick something and STICK with it. Impossible, but you have to feel the uncertainty and force yourself to STICK with it. Tell yourself whatever you decide will be okay, that you can handle anything that comes out of the decision, whether it's crummy emotions or anything else. This is how you can have a direction and stability in your life.

Last edited by sas318; 04-19-2019 at 12:08 PM..

Old 04-19-2019, 12:05 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,630,749 times
Quote:
I do
That is if I play! I can't focus for more than 10 minutes be it a game or a movie. In 2009 I could watch 2 films a day, now I can barely finish 15 minutes even if I am enjoying the film. Its a combination of many things, hence my desire to try medication.
You sound just like me. I'm not a gamer and I watch Netflix and Prime Video instead and I can't stick with a show for more than 10 minutes either. I watch the first 10 minutes of about 5-6 shows before I force myself to stick with one.

I don't believe in medication for mental issues.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:30 PM

12,631 posts, read 8,853,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
OP simply cannot decide. I can't decide either. Why? Because I know that I get bored quickly, so I'm afraid if I commit to something, I will be stuck in misery forever. I had no problem picking a major in college; the problem was which direction to go AFTER I graduated? So many paths to take, impossible to decide.

I'm scared of the outcome of a decision. Not for simply daily things like what jeans to wear, but big decisions like career direction or a decision that affects a bunch of people. I'm afraid the outcome will go wrong and I will regret it. Which is why I never could decide and then stick with anything. I'm terrified of the bad consequences that can happen.

I'm thrilled when someone decides for me and I'm forced to go along. Then I don't have to decide. I find that I'm not as miserable as I thought.

That's what happened to me. My in-laws have a family business and when I was laid off, instead of staying home, I tagged along with my husband to his job there. And I've been there ever since. So my husband sort of decided for me. And I'm very happy here.

It's low self esteem and low confidence for sure to be unsure all the time. My co-worker is the same way and I can see it in his body language and the hesitation in his voice when he asks me something. He is just so unsure of everything at work. It's a terrible mindset to have and terrible to be stuck with this kind of personality.

It's part of your natural personality. No one wants or chooses to be this way. My son is the same way. He's only 10 and I can already see he doesn't tknow what he wants. OP can only force himself/herself to pick something and STICK with it. Impossible, but you have to feel the uncertainty and force yourself to STICK with it. Tell yourself whatever you decide will be okay, that you can handle anything that comes out of the decision, whether it's crummy emotions or anything else. This is how you can have a direction and stability in your life.
People who have no trouble deciding aren't really more informed or confident. They simply understand that failure to make a decision is a decision. I would rather make a decision and live with MY decision than have to live with SOMEONE ELSE's decision. If my decision is wrong, I can adapt and do something about it. I can't do something about someone else's decision.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:39 AM

543 posts, read 938,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Just falling back on medications only is sort of a hit-or-miss approach. Therapy may seem expensive but it can help figure out just what is going on in your mind that triggers your behavior, and also how to work around it. A med by itself can't teach you any coping skills. Therapy can focus and clarify why you behave the way you do. You could end up NOT needing more medication but possibly less or a different type. That's not a bad thing is it? Why spend money on prescriptions that might not help and wasting years in the process? Even if you do end up needing a med to help you function, wouldn't it be better to at least understand WHY there is a biochemical component to your behavior? I would think so. There are always people who scream that medications are never useful or that they are some sort of panacea, but properly used they can help someone cope until the cognitive/emotional trouble is found. They are intended to be tools...just like therapy. The combination is what ends up working.
The bupropion is working. 20 days in and I feel a drastic change. Its amazing.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:10 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,947,643 times
Quote:
Hmm. I do have ADHD although its not diagnosed officially. Could never focus or concentrate, jittery, anxious. Been reading a lot online and both adderall and ritalin get mentioned on how taking a tablet makes you focus. At this stage I have nothing to loose. I got started on wellbutrin so I won't start right away with the other two. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy seems expensive and time consuming. Maybe I'll check it out but I believe its more of a biological/neurological/chemical thing and meds can help better,.

You will need to be under a doctor's care when taking ritalin or adderall. They're a class III medication. That would be a good time to mention Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to your doctor, to see if it's something that could plausibly work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology