U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 08:12 PM

18,278 posts, read 23,403,969 times

Advertisements

familiarity and predictability breeds contempt.....

we had a pessimist at work ….and we labeled him as much mr miserable..
another one we named Eeyore the Winnie the pooh character

we started joking with both of them "whats dark and cloudy today"?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 09:56 PM

561 posts, read 149,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF2U View Post
....And for the record, I dont "bitterly dislike" this person, just would like to figure out what is going on with her so I can tolerate her better. ....
My suggestion is totally opposite of what others here are saying.
I understand your situation is unpleasant

Why not to try something totally different and unexpected to turn it all around.
Try to generate a good will .
When you get to work in the morning- give her your best smile, ask how was her weekend- just say you only have a couple of minutes to chat before you get down to to work - you are swamped!
Listen to her for a couple of min. Offer a piece of chocolate or candy, cookie, gum, etc and say, sorry- have to get to work ( and put your earbuds on...)
During lunch hour- ask if she would like a piece of fruit, or a cut piece of your sandwich, or some drink you brought, etc. Chat another couple of min about work, other coworkers, etc

Get back to work.
Give her treats from time to time. Explain that you are not as lucky in cooping with a workload and you need more concentration- that is why your ear buds or whatever..
Basically, try to show your small interest in her and maybe, just maybe you feel better about her.
Paraphrasing Leo Tolstoy
“We love people for our kindness towards them and hate them for the evil things we did to them”...

Don’t you feel a bit bad about your co- worker’s outlook on life and a kind of life she is having?
Some compassion and understanding may go a long way.

The worst case: if nothing like that works- you can always resort to pressing “ the ignore” button.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:00 PM

1,328 posts, read 816,322 times
Quote:
Because she talks about her private life, thats why. She goes on and on and on about it. She will say "I went to bed at 6 and got up at 4:30...I dont ask, she tells. What is strange about that? If you were in a room with someone 40 hours a week you dont think you would learn what the other person's life was like? And for the record, I dont "bitterly dislike" this person, just would like to figure out what is going on with her so I can tolerate her better. No need to be snarky.
Can you ask to be moved to another part of the office? If she's that much of a distraction I would talk to management about moving me elsewhere so I can focus on what the company is paying me to do.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:03 AM

6,555 posts, read 10,624,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Sounds like Oppositional Behavior Disorder to me ...
Was going to comment that the OP describes a person with the attitude of a typical adolescent who never grew up.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:14 AM

4,193 posts, read 3,060,260 times
Quote:
Does anyone here have any insight as to what might be this person's deal? There are so many other quirks she has which would take me all night to go into, so I will leave it at this.

Ideas?

She is obviously very rigid and negative. Although I'm no mental health professional, I bet she suffers from OCD.

It's best just to ignore her. Tune her out, and don't say anything to her. You're there to do your work and get paid, not to socialize, so just focus on doing your work to the best of your ability.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:18 PM

6,028 posts, read 13,092,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Was going to comment that the OP describes a person with the attitude of a typical adolescent who never grew up.
That is actually a very good description. To add to that, I have learned in therapy that sometimes when someone experiences a form of trauma or abuse that the person will stop maturing beyond whatever age the abuse or trauma occurred. So it makes me wonder if that may be why some people are like this. They were abused or traumatized at a point in their development - maybe as a teen - and never got treatment or help and now they are grown adults who behave like teenagers. This is a very interesting theory! Thanks for posting this!

Old 05-14-2019, 07:55 PM

1,143 posts, read 333,315 times
She has a boyfriend. Wow. I wonder what he's like. I wonder if he hates chicken, too. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology