U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Introvert or extrovert?
Extrovert 10 15.63%
Introvert 54 84.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 07:13 PM

1,857 posts, read 533,916 times

Advertisements

Introvert extrovert labels I never bought into. Whoever came up with this crap was a genius, because so many people believe they are one or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 07:14 PM

5,664 posts, read 3,171,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
That's interesting. I'm a deep introvert, but public speaking doesn't bother me. I can give tours to anyone from regular folks to very senior VIPs (including a couple cabinet level secretaries) or presentations to conferences and not blink. On the other hand, ask me to make social small talk in room of strangers and I'd rather dance naked in a blackberry bush.
I'm like you in that public speaking usually doesn't bother me. I can, and often have, presented to a room full of (almost) strangers and really enjoy it. In my previous career, I was a pharmaceutical sales rep, and talking to a large group of cardiologists, for example, was no problem.

On the other hand, though I can do small talk in a room full of strangers, I can go into panic mode if I have to present to a group of coworkers. Even when I've interviewed for job promotions, a process that usually involves a hiring panel of 3 or 4 people from my organization, I can become extremely nervous. It's very weird, and I'm embarrassed by it.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:19 PM

40,221 posts, read 39,759,578 times
Let me see, we can control, limit and regulate just how much interactions we have with others. We can control the pacing and make further decisions about just how much we're going to interact with others....

Yep, sounds just like how an extrovert would act.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:52 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,945,557 times
Introvert.

I'd be happy being in the middle of nowhere with my Labrador

Old 05-12-2019, 11:59 PM

14,558 posts, read 10,699,754 times
The internet is the introvert's dream come true.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:31 AM

6,233 posts, read 3,526,589 times
*Introvert slips into chair behind his keyboard and pontificates to the world without having to worry about people staring at him*

Old 05-13-2019, 05:45 AM

10,222 posts, read 4,789,512 times
Quote:
Introvert. Crowds and social gatherings exhaust me. I can literally feel them sucking the life force from my body.
I remember the difference between introverts & extroverts described perfectly in an article: Extroverts get their energy from other people where introverts need to be alone to recharge. That's exactly how I am. I love being home alone where nobody expects me to talk to them for hours on end.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:17 PM

871 posts, read 327,473 times
Quote:
That's interesting. I'm a deep introvert, but public speaking doesn't bother me. I can give tours to anyone from regular folks to very senior VIPs (including a couple cabinet level secretaries) or presentations to conferences and not blink. On the other hand, ask me to make social small talk in room of strangers and I'd rather dance naked in a blackberry bush.
I'm like this, too. My job involves a lot of contact with the general public, plus teaching classes for groups from 5-25 people. I'm cool with all of that. I have no problem speaking to large groups, either. But an invite to a small, strictly social occasion will have me running and screaming (in my head). I prefer my socializing to be activities-based. Even then, I can only handle so much togetherness and need my alone time to recharge a lot.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:16 PM

2,996 posts, read 1,997,508 times
Friendly introvert who enjoys social activities but then needs to recharge.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:39 PM

40,221 posts, read 39,759,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I remember the difference between introverts & extroverts described perfectly in an article: Extroverts get their energy from other people where introverts need to be alone to recharge. That's exactly how I am. I love being home alone where nobody expects me to talk to them for hours on end.
I think forums like CD are perfect places for the introverted type. Like I posted upthread you can interact as much or as little as you like. You can control how much you interact with others.

I find that extroverted people just want more and more and more from you. The ones I know can't seem to get enough of being around others.

Those kinds of people just exhaust the hell out of me. We had a friend that has since passed and she was like that. She'd spend every weekend with us if we allowed it. I just found her to be too much after awhile. She also had other personality traits that were tiring too but that is a separate thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or