Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 04:55 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times

Advertisements

I thought I had made a post about this some time back but I don't find one. Years ago when I was going to Al Anon as a loved one was going thru "H", and I was right along with that person, a member talked about making a Gratitude List. So many see so much gloom and doom and don't see the Gratitude of so much we have.

My long life has been good all in all and as I approach 80, I'm thankful to make it here.

Thanks for the daughter and the grandkids she brought into my life.

My friends which are less than ever, but still there and we talk when we feel the need to connect.

My relatively good health, which I work on every day of my life.

Glad to be living in this good ole U.S.A., not perfect but I can't imagine being anywhere else.

And thanks for all the good memories of my life that I think about a lot at this late date.

Nothing is perfect but as they say in Al Anon -- progress not perfection.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-04-2018 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 09:57 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
My gratitude list is what drives me through the moments when my anxiety and depression come roaring back.

I think about the many friends I've made over the years and the family connections I maintain with my cousins.

I think about my lovely, ridiculous dogs and cat.

I think about the fact that I have a great job with lovely coworkers.

I think about the fact that I live in a house I own in a part of the country that I love and that keeps me entertained on multiple levels.

I think about the fact that I have so much more freedom now than I ever had before in my life.

I love my life, and I remind myself of that any time I feel myself backsliding into the memory of old miseries.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:20 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
I read somewhere recently that writing a gratitude list (or thinking it, probably?) helped alleviate depression.

Maybe in most cases it would steer the thinking in a positive direction.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I read somewhere recently that writing a gratitude list (or thinking it, probably?) helped alleviate depression.

Maybe in most cases it would steer the thinking in a positive direction.
Why not accentuate the positives vs clinging to the negatives? The more negative thinking the more depression -- and yes there are medical issues that need to be addressed by many, and for me it was thyroid.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:29 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
This is a good thread. Unfortunately, I don't feel comfortable sharing on C-D. But I will do so offline. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:04 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times
I'm grateful for a work opportunity that came my way at age 60.

In a similar vein but much more significant, I found love at age 40. There are lines from a song called "Silence" that seem written for me.

love came unexpectedly late to the bill,
an added attraction,
the way it goes.
The way it stays.

And ends,

Ever since she made the day,
And the lonely man disappear,
into that silence.

My children
My dogs
Athletic beauty, which I can still sometimes take part in, however removed from the form.

And more.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I'm grateful for a work opportunity that came my way at age 60.

In a similar vein but much more significant, I found love at age 40. There are lines from a song called "Silence" that seem written for me.

love came unexpectedly late to the bill,
an added attraction,
the way it goes.
The way it stays.

And ends,

Ever since she made the day,
And the lonely man disappear,
into that silence.

My children
My dogs
Athletic beauty, which I can still sometimes take part in, however removed from the form.

And more.
Very nice!!!! If one wants that love in their life, it can come any time, when one least expects it...Good on yours...I'm glad I found it once, I think it was love. umm

Old 08-06-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I'm not at all surprised. Just goes to show what type of people post here. I have reason to believe my contributions are...monitored, for lack of a better term. Otherwise I'd love to contribute. I'll say this:

I'm glad you posted this topic. It reminds me to focus on the positive things, instead of everything going "wrong". So thank you for helping me be aware.
So many need reminders...truly they do.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:10 PM

922 posts, read 790,574 times
I have much to be grateful for:

A husband who is truly my other half
Two wonderful human beings that are my children
Three beautiful grandchildren
A home that we own when we never thought it was possible
All of the animals that have shared their lives with me
Good friends and good neighbors
That my daughter survived being hit by a semi
The love of words that my grandmother gave me
The Grace of God
and so much more...

Old 08-06-2018, 02:31 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
my last 2 birthday, I have created a list of things/events that happened previous 365 days which included gratitude. The list has to have equal amount of entry as my age. I won't do that here but few gratitude are

1) my husband who I found after several years of searching/bad dating and anxiety about love life. So now when I get mad at him, when he is less than perfect.. I remind myself of the stress I had before I found him & crossed this road. At one point in life, I thought I would never marry or settle for someone
2) My parents and siblings and to an extent my extended family (cousins, 2nd cousins, uncles..etc). Everyone is great. I am blessed to have big family and I am blessed to have family where we still speak to eachother. We have our drama but no one is cut off from anyone else & no one is so screwed up that family doesn't want to deal with them
3) My job, one of my biggest fear growing up poor was, will I ever have decent job. I ended up with great job that brings me pride & freedom. But most importantly it showed me a lifestyle I never dreamt of, traveling. I started traveling for work and then fell in love. Now its part of my identity, even if I don't do much for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology