Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 02:24 AM

854 posts, read 520,314 times

Advertisements

I know I'm going to get a bunch of people telling me that I'm wrong and that suicide is never the answer blah blah blah, but please hear me out.

For some people, life doesn't get better. Some people were born with major disadvantages and some people just don't fit in and can't function in society without the help that isn't there. I feel that until we can find some sort of cure for depression (especially that caused by existentialism or unfortunate life circumstances) and until we can actually help people in need, suicide isn't going anywhere. I feel that suicide prevention is far too focused on preventing suicide, rather than actually helping people who have reached that stage. We need to do more to tackle loneliness too, as that is a societal problem, but that's another debate.

It is utterly wrong to assume that just because someone is suicidal, their judgment is somehow 'impaired' and that suicide is always a knee jerk reaction. Some of us are simply not cut out for this world and we are not afraid of our own mortality, like most people are. The whole notion that 'suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem' isn't always true, when you've had a lifetime of struggling and suffering and when all you're faced with is more of the same plus aging.

I'm going to be blunt and honest now; in my case, if there were a pill or lethal injection available to end my pain, I would take it without hesitation. Suicidal people resort to gruesome methods because there's no other way, not because they'r selfish or thinking about the trauma that finding a mutilated body would cause. If freedom is truly important to you, you should support the right to die for people who've simply had enough and have zero prospects of getting better in terms of their existences becoming 'livable'. This is especially true when the individual leaves no one behind and cannot contribute to society anymore. In my case, I'm not afraid of death and I know it won't get better, so please focus on the topic at hand and don't bother telling me that 'it will get better' because your words will fall on deaf ears.

At the end of the day, if you don't want 'taxpayers money' invested in helping and housing the mentally ill and if you agree that there's no cure for many people, you shouldn't have an issue with suicide. You cannot expect people to exist in pain, dealing with poverty, homelessness, loneliness and destitution. Do not associate suicidal ideation with irrationality, because suicide isn't always irrational and I could easily say that to be happy in this world, you have to be either oblivious, blessed or even hiding some sort of mental illness yourself.

Last edited by Crazy-Cat-Lady; 05-25-2019 at 02:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 06:48 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
I appreciate your post. And actually agree with you.

A planned suicide, to me, does not have to particularly involve mental illness...and depending on the situation, does not have to include desperation and misguided thinking.

IMO there are a multitude of reasons that could lead to a decision of planned suicide.

I'm very open minded and nonjudgmental....but there will be others here who deem planned suicide as an unstable act and desperate behavior or even as a sin.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:27 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,248,805 times
Some would argue that an individual's written instructions to "pull the plug" rather than artificially maintain life is suicidal. If so, everyone in my family must be suicidal.

The Catholic church was violently opposed to suicide but current policy stemming from Vatican II leaves some wiggle room if I'm inferring correctly.

In the case of intractable physical pain as suggested in the OP, get me my .38.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:47 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
The Catholic church's outdated and ridiculous mandates that encourage people to feel so guilty, shameful and sinful angers me so...hard to believe this day and age so many are devoted to that dogma.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:59 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
It's a bit of splitting hairs on this topic.
For the individual choosing this route I often think of the suicide bombers doing it for their "cause". Not my cup of tea ...but it's their hill to die on so to speak.

As someone who's had it come into my immediate family..it is a decision that echoes long after the departed leaves.

I support the die with dignity and the individual who has endured perpetual mental or chronic physical maladys.

I delved in this question of 'at what point', and I have my limit that would send me to the planning stage and implement. As morbid as it sounds...I think I could come to understanding of the persons decision ...

Old 05-25-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
It's a bit of splitting hairs on this topic.
For the individual choosing this route I often think of the suicide bombers doing it for their "cause". Not my cup of tea ...but it's their hill to die on so to speak.

As someone who's had it come into my immediate family..it is a decision that echoes long after the departed leaves.

I support the die with dignity and the individual who has endured perpetual mental or chronic physical maladys.

I delved in this question of 'at what point', and I have my limit that would send me to the planning stage and implement. As morbid as it sounds...I think I could come to understanding of the persons decision ...
My own opinion on the matter is that mental illness and even permanently bad life circumstances or even a desire not to endure old age should be reason enough to justify assisted dying.

I get that it's hard for the family, but it's also unfair of them to expect a seriously ill person (mentally or physically) to continue to suffer, with little or no prospect of improvement.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I appreciate your post. And actually agree with you.

A planned suicide, to me, does not have to particularly involve mental illness...and depending on the situation, does not have to include desperation and misguided thinking.

IMO there are a multitude of reasons that could lead to a decision of planned suicide.

I'm very open minded and nonjudgmental....but there will be others here who deem planned suicide as an unstable act and desperate behavior or even as a sin.
I've known of people who spent years planning their own suicide. They endured many years of pain before finally throwing in the towel. It's a culmination of pain over the years and as you get older, hope and all those "it will gets betters" fade away. This is especially true if you're dealing with chronic loneliness. I feel that the famous people who've committed suicide lately did so partly or primarily because they were lonely and burned out, even if they had family.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:49 AM

1,665 posts, read 974,128 times
I also stand on your side of the fence.

I've had an uncle that took his own life. He was paralyzed from the waist down and had a few strokes. Some family members believe that my aunt was committing adultery also. But I don't have proof, neither do they, so I don't follow that belief.

I thought about it too but realized that I had more to gain in life. I then met my dear wife. I always say that she saved me from myself. Taught me how to love again and love life, no matter how hard it gets or the pains that I feel. Being a career firefighter, it has taken a toll on me mentally and physically. And I have witnessed suicides and the aftermath it causes.

To me, each person is in charge of their own destiny. One cannot feel what another person feels. And if someone takes their own life, they are stronger than many others, to just end it all. Nobody understands the pain, torment, isolation another one feels. One can offer an ear, compassion to the other. And also should respect the person that wants to end it all.

The family members that are left behind should also try to understand the situation. Some leave notes behind, some don't. Sometimes the person is terminally ill and feels like a burden to their loved ones. Sometimes the person is evil in their ways, but compassionate, and would rather kill themselves before hurting others.

Whatever the reason may be...

I just hope and pray that EVERYONE lives their life to the fullest...

Old 05-25-2019, 10:08 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
My views on suicide are from a spiritual/philosophical perspective.

It's all about beliefs.

I believe if you are here on this earth, then that is evidence enough that there is some reason why you *should* be here - even if you don't understand the reason, even if life isn't fun, even if you are in pain, etc.

Of course no one wants to be in pain and the natural response is to try to "escape," but from what I have studied (and I believe in reincarnation), there IS no escape. "Wherever you go, there you are"). Dolores Cannon (YouTube) talks about the extra lessons you have to put in when you commit suicide.

Also, if anyone's acts of any kind hurt others, then you are accruing karma. You have to live your life, as much as is possible, NOT hurting others. Suicide hurts others.

It's just a simplistic, wrong-minded "solution" to a problem . . . everyone on the planet has problems - some people are more fortunate than others - there is probably something we can all do to improve our lives and to be of service to others, as well.

If I were in your shoes, I would work hard on my spirituality and try to look at the bigger picture - and to try to improve your life through changing negative thinking patterns. CBT could be a very useful therapy.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:21 AM

9,085 posts, read 6,308,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
The Catholic church's outdated and ridiculous mandates that encourage people to feel so guilty, shameful and sinful angers me so...hard to believe this day and age so many are devoted to that dogma.
How else does an organization rope people into participating in activities that offer no benefits without using guilt? The use of guilt illustrates how useless the existence of the church really is. If the church provided real value to people, guilt would never be necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology