Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 04:36 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

I know this is strange, but something on another forum reminded me of this.

A long time ago -- 33 years ago! -- I worked as a secretary prior to moving out of state. In my dream -- at least I am almost positive it was a dream, -- on my last day on the job, one of the executives gave me a letter to mail, and I put it in the trunk of my car, and then a short time after that (again, this was part of the same dream), when I was putting my suitcases in the trunk, I found the letter and just threw it in the trash.

Now, I know that I would never have done either of those things -- put a letter in a car trunk OR just throw a letter away -- and I also know this man would never have asked me to mail something because there was a box for outgoing mail in the office -- but to this day, I sometimes wonder if I actually did put the letter in my trunk and then just throw it away. (Btw, the executive was an older man and someone I felt very "neutral" about -- I neither liked nor disliked him.)

Has anyone else experienced anything like that?

P.S. I didn't have anything else to take out of the office that day besides my purse, so there is no reason why I would have just put an envelope in the trunk!

Last edited by katharsis; 06-17-2019 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 05:18 PM

464 posts, read 286,885 times
Yes, on rare occasions I will be thinking of something as a memory of my real life, but then realize that no, that couldn't have happened, then it sinks in that it must have been a dream that had lodged itself in there as though it were a real memory of something that actually happened.

Fortunately these are trivial things associated that wouldn't make a lot of difference either way.

And I don't believe I got that in my youth.

Thx

Old 06-17-2019, 06:03 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Not quite, but I did have a terrifying dream about some sort of imminent global disaster that really shook me because the details of the place, time, and circumstances of my real life at that time were exactly the same. One detail was a big dead tree several crows tended to perch on that I could see out my window. When the morning progressed with a string of small events/details that were also present in the dream (same unusual weather, the same headache I had in the dream, 3 large black birds perching on that tree, talking with the same acquaintance who had an unusual eye color), I started to wonder if it was precognitive. Wanted to go back to bed with a blanket over my head. That dream was so vivid I can remember it precisely; including colors, sounds, odors, textures of things I touched, over 40 years later.

I know your brain likes to "fill in" missing details in a memory by drawing on others so we end up convinced something has happened before, but it did make me wonder which came first...the day or the dream.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-17-2019 at 06:14 PM..

Old 06-17-2019, 06:46 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Yes, at least two instances when I was young. When I was older I felt really stupid asking my dad if my grandparents had ever come to visit in a helicopter (no) and whether or not we had ever been in a car with my uncle and driven it into a lake where the car turned into a boat (surprisingly, yes)
I also occasionally have moments that feel familiar, deja vu moments, and I sometimes wonder if they are because I have dreamed of being in similar scenarios.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:49 AM

5,519 posts, read 7,109,883 times
We dream of things, people, and events that happen in the past, present and future.

You can have a dream about something in the future and when that something actually takes place hence, the Deja vu moment.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:52 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:

A long time ago -- 33 years ago! -- I worked as a secretary prior to moving out of state. In my dream -- at least I am almost positive it was a dream, -- on my last day on the job, one of the executives gave me a letter to mail, and I put it in the trunk of my car, and then a short time after that (again, this was part of the same dream), when I was putting my suitcases in the trunk, I found the letter and just threw it in the trash.

Now, I know that I would never have done either of those things -- put a letter in a car trunk OR just throw a letter away -- and I also know this man would never have asked me to mail something because there was a box for outgoing mail in the office -- but to this day, I sometimes wonder if I actually did put the letter in my trunk and then just throw it away. (Btw, the executive was an older man and someone I felt very "neutral" about -- I neither liked nor disliked him.)

P.S. I didn't have anything else to take out of the office that day besides my purse, so there is no reason why I would have just put an envelope in the trunk!
That is a funny dream. Yes, my dream was about owning a pony.

Even though my family looks at me funny, I will always believe I had him. At least it wasn't a unicorn I tell them.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:46 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,406,327 times
Never mind. Posted to the wrong thread.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:10 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
I believe lawyers and others who take testimony will confide that human recollection is not very reliable, which does relate to dreams and imagination. You'd think it would be; I have (to me) "clear" memories of some events whom others who were there remark happened a bit differently, 20 years ago. It's disconcerting. Not sure who is "right" and that's what we have video for.

I love how video causes such massive churn when it turns out the cop made a reasonable decision (vast majority of the time) vs it being some great big conspiracy against (whomever). There will be ever-more of that as the resolution increases, cost decreases, and the tech is everywhere/all the time. If Google Glass would come back, in a less-ubiquitous package for glasses frames, I'd wear them within boundaries of the law. I do believe my state may require consent to be filmed, so that will be unholy to puzzle out legally in the future. Welcome to it, that will trump memory/dreams/other human fallibility.

This all relates to dreams. Like everyone, I have vivid dreams sometimes, and transition to awake with it still seeming to be reality. On rare occasion, it's a real good bet I confuse a "memory" with something I dreamed, see above. It's inevitable as we age.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:42 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
I've had this happen to me a couple of times. Both times, I was a LOT younger.

The first time, I was a little kid, living in Florida. I had decided that I would stay awake to see Santa Claus on Christmas Eve. My bed was by a window, so my plan was to look out that window as long as it took to see Santa.

At some point, sure enough, I saw Santa and his reindeer land in our front yard. In my head, it's a memory, but logic tells me I must've fallen asleep while standing there, looking out the window.

The other time, I was a teenager. I was in the habit of falling asleep to the radio being on. I THOUGHT I'd heard on the radio, that Charlie Daniels had died in a tractor accident on his farm. It seemed like, to me, that I had really heard that...but Charlie Daniels is still alive and kicking, so apparently it didn't really happen. lol

Old 06-20-2019, 02:21 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,801 times
Quote:

This is a great topic. When I was little, like maybe 7 years old or so, I [must have dreamed that I] climbed out of my father's 2nd floor study window and climbed down the front of our house, while neighbor kids watched from the sidewalk in front. Everything seemed very real about that recollection, except that in retrospect I cannot think of one thing that I could have held on to on the way down, after letting go of the window frame. So I think it must have been a dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology