Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 09:55 PM

9,321 posts, read 11,072,887 times

Advertisements

Toxic masculinity, white males. Please, give this a break. You have to know nothing to not know that almost all cultures encourage strong males.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 10:07 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,663,410 times
Lots of confused people these days, it's really not that complicated.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:08 PM

8,565 posts, read 3,791,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Toxic masculinity, white males. Please, give this a break. You have to know nothing to not know that almost all cultures encourage strong males.
How we are perceived professionally or amongst our peers (or anywhere) often is (and should be) quite different than in the context of an intimate (committed) relationship with a woman - and in OP’s case, he is married to her.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:41 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,609,998 times
Well to each their own, I’m not an emotional person and I am a strong, dominant one and I like it that way!

Old 06-24-2019, 10:59 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,624,485 times
I have my opinions about what the problem is.

Quote:
I have two sons, and they are both growing up to be *******s just like their father.
- Loudmouth Mom at a restaurant.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:00 PM

8,565 posts, read 3,791,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Well to each their own, I’m not an emotional person and I am a strong, dominant one and I like it that way!
Except - the post is about a dude who is having a rough time being real (with his wife) because of perceived societal pressure/expectations. If one can’t be real in an intimate (committed) relationship with a woman, what’s the point of having a committed relationship?

Old 06-25-2019, 03:52 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,482,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Except - the post is about a dude who is having a rough time being real (with his wife) because of perceived societal pressure/expectations. If one can’t be real in an intimate (committed) relationship with a woman, what’s the point of having a committed relationship?
Again, I was just using my relationship as an example if nothing else.

Some fathers do tell their sons it’s not okay to show to much if any emotion. Mine didn’t mostly because he was never around and my mom..well that’s another story. I do have male friends who I personally can reach out to and be emotional if it comes up and I’m not judged for it by them. Nor are they judged by me. Some where along the line men are told to be strong but silent about showing to much emotion. Not sure how that came about. I’ve been in too many relationships and SOME women have been told that an over emotional man is weak. Maybe it’s a generational thing.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:24 AM

13,273 posts, read 8,392,925 times
Usually a well rounded adult Human will maintain rational thoughts , emote in a balanced way. ( basically letting the emotion match the level of cause/effect).
Empathy and ability to work thru is key in relations.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:37 AM

7,583 posts, read 4,136,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Why would any man do that? It doesn’t make sense the stress alone is enough to kill you.
They do that because that was how they were taught to control their emotions. I am a female and I was raised the same way by females. One thing to keep in mind is that some families are more effective in teaching how to control emotions than other families. They explain it better, will adapt the lesson for children who are struggling, so what you see out in public is not really how to teach controlling emotions. You are seeing the outcome of the teaching and what you need to see is the actual teaching.

What I have found in homes where children are told to not cry, there tends to be more bully-like behaviors, where the lessons are forced on the child rather than making them adaptive.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:41 AM

1,814 posts, read 1,221,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Say Henry Rollins.

This myth of the seemingly inalienable right to dominance and control perpetrated by men, especially by white males, has myriad catastrophic downsides.
These standards — and postures many American males contort themselves to — are not without consequence. Beyond misplaced anger, feelings of inadequacy and hopelessness, the men who hold their emotions in check — like a stress position used to induce confession — sometimes break. White American males — mostly middle-age — accounted for 70% of suicides in 2017.

https://www.latimes.com/books/la-ca-...620-story.html

Has a child I was told as I grew up not to cry or show to much emotion as people/ women as a whole whole would see me as weak. My wife is having a lot of health issues and I don’t let her see how much it weighs on me. Even though she has said that it’s good for a man to show such things, I know by doing so it would make things worse on her. I know that I’m not the only man going though rough patches where showing emotions are some what taboo.
The very reason WHY you have a wife is because you don't show your emotions. Men that show emotions are deemed unattractive in all aspects of life. That is just the way it is.

I'm sorry about you wife's health issues. I hope everything gets better soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology