U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 03:35 PM

43,156 posts, read 41,752,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

He isn't saying anything about turning into a rapist necessarily...
He didn't use the word specifically, sure. But the implication is absolutely there.

First he said the desire for sex overrules all other desires. Then he basically said that if brothels were available as "sex therapy" for teenage boys, they'd be less "aggressive."

I know you can read between the lines to the conclusion he was hinting at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:49 PM

11,828 posts, read 7,293,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
He didn't use the word specifically, sure. But the implication is absolutely there.

First he said the desire for sex overrules all other desires. Then he basically said that if brothels were available as "sex therapy" for teenage boys, they'd be less "aggressive."

I know you can read between the lines to the conclusion he was hinting at.
Honestly, I am not sure he was getting at what you think he was getting at. (Perhaps he could clarify?) I think he might have been talking about a free floating aggression that leads teenage boys (who not only may not be getting laid, but also haven't matured and learned the best control of their emotional states, as one hopes they will) to just act out like starting fights and so on. I'm not saying that's fine or I agree with it, I'm saying that I do believe that might have been the point he was trying to make.

I also think that if you note how drunk people behave, a couple of common themes are becoming more sexual than they might when sober, AND/OR fighting when they ordinarily would not. The idea is that the rational brain isn't in proper control.

I believe he might have been just talking about a bundle of primitive urges waiting for a place to go off. And not necessarily at the same time (as in, rape.)

But still, I've known boys, men, who weren't getting laid but also didn't have the physical prowess to run around bullying or starting fights either, and who managed to cope and get through life without the tops of their heads exploding off into space. So to some extent, I think that there is a learned element of...what...entitlement?...to the license to go around punching people just because you aren't getting to have sex. Plenty of boys DON'T do anything like that.

But while I am not sure that making prostitution available to the underage makes any kind of sense at all, I do think it should be legal. In the meantime, there are always those "rage rooms" cropping up everywhere that you can go beat on things with sledgehammers...?

Old Today, 05:09 PM

43,156 posts, read 41,752,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

Honestly, I am not sure he was getting at what you think he was getting at.

With his post coming in the context of the thread, right after all the posts about men and the difficulty controlling their urges, you're choosing not to be sure.

He doesn't need to clarify his intent to me. It came across loud and clear, even with the usual random spastic commas.

Old Today, 10:13 PM

4,830 posts, read 1,533,853 times
I think the reason is, is that it doesn't get as far with the media compared to the male ones. But I've encountered a female predator once, who was a psycho, and reported her to the police, but it's not like the case took off or anything, which a lot probably don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or