Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 04:55 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's less. I think it's reported less because it's our culture that men are supposed to be more powerful than women and you're less of a man if a woman is more powerful than you.

Doesn't matter the act. Most men will not report it because they fear being ridiculed by other men (and women). And sadly, many men and women would ridicule him. And, many men will feel less of man that the act even happened and will hold it in. Toxic masculinity. Isn't that the term for all this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 08:33 PM

23 posts, read 12,808 times
The answer is very simple. It boils down to the perception of male behavior as being negative and aggressive, while female behavior is perceived as being more positive and innocent.

The societal/social perception is the reason. Gender roles play a part too as men like to come across "strong" so they will rarely complain about unwanted sexual harassment from a female.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:47 PM

18 posts, read 6,038 times
I find it hard to imagine a female "predator". I'd guess it would generally be the classic example of a teacher student relationship (which tends to be with older male teens anyway) or maybe mother son incest. As far as going out of your way to "hunt" for victims that is probably more male behavior.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:57 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Not true.

There are news stories all the time about female teachers who prey on their young (usually male) students.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:06 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Not true.

There are news stories all the time about female teachers who prey on their young (usually male) students.
It's pretty common. And then on forums everyone gets on and says "where were these teachers when I was in 6th grade????" haha sexual assault, so enviable!

We basically have a cultural definition of sexual assault whereby women cannot be guilty of it. It's disgusting.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:38 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
There are female clergy who take advantage of male congregants. Usually, these are young clergy using their job to find one or more boyfriends for themselves. I've heard of this only in the context of Zen Centers. But I've also known female university faculty, who who would come on to their students, or who would behave flirtatiously.

Still, all of this is different from the more aggressive type of male predator; the criminal types. In the above examples, the problem is more of the "breach of ethics" type. Is the OP asking, I wonder, more about the violent-crime type of predator: physical assaults? Kidnappings?

There's also the issue of women caregivers, who molest their small-child charges, whether the victims are their own kids or kids they babysit. These cases rarely come to light, but they can be very damaging.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:40 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
It is taboo to call women on their stuff
Just try it and see

Old 06-28-2019, 09:56 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Just try it and see
Universities don't differentiate between male and female faculty harassing students. If one or more students complain about a faculty member, the matter will be investigated, depending on the severity of the case/s, and the policies of the university in question. Nobody gets a free pass.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:09 AM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Actually I agree that women women do things that range from unethical to illegal, it's often not perceived as such or reported as such.
EDIT: But it's getting better, I think. At least in America. I hope.

And I've talked a lot about people educating daughters, teenage girls, and so on, that consent is something that every individual has a right to, to say yes or no, and that everyone needs to respect that. Because when I was a teenager that wasn't what I was taught (granted, I'm 40, so it's been a while.) They didn't teach anything about consent in sex ed, and my parents didn't explain it. What I pieced together was that "rape is when a male forces a female to submit to sex against her will." Very specific idea of what that had to look like. The male was always the aggressor, the female always the victim, and she had to not only say no, but fight and scream. If not, then well...was it really rape? I didn't even hear the term, "date rape" until I was a young adult. And I didn't begin to consider other things like various kinds of sexual assault, harassment, and how men could absolutely also be victims, until I was in my mid-20s.

At which point I realized how unethical I had been, when it occurred to me that some of the things I'd done as a teenager to a boy my own age at the time, were most definitely wrong. Fortunately this was the age of social media and I was able to talk to him and apologize. He didn't see it as especially wrong, traumatizing, or anything, or so he says. I told him my apology stands. He said no. I did not listen to that, and persisted, and he eventually gave in. He feels that it was all a sort of game...and perhaps it was, but we had not negotiated any such game. And on another occasion, I harassed a man who worked at the mall who was refusing me because I was underage.

Bottom line is, at the time, I didn't really take a no answer gracefully. I didn't get refused often, I was after all, hot, female, 15-17 or so... But it was in my head that any man would want sex with me unless he was "gay or something." Wow.

At this point, I've thought about all this, and whether it's even smart to talk about it, because I know that some might think less of me for it. But you know...I was like that because I was legitimately not taught any differently. I was not getting information about sex and how the genders related to one another from anyone in any position to properly educate me, they did that thing of "well, we'll give you the basics about reproduction, and just hope you don't mess with it and you somehow magically learn the rest on your own." And society will give you some really messed up ideas from just random sources...TV, movies, what you overhear boys and girls saying in high school...there was no internet at that time. People don't learn things if no one teaches them. So yeah, I'll risk that people judge me for being unethical in my youth, to encourage people to share better information and the importance of teaching the young. Because if nothing else, as a woman, I feel somewhat privileged that my admissions are not as likely to bring consequences even many years later, compared to what men often face. Somebody's gotta talk about these things.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:28 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Just try it and see
This is so very true.

You really nailed it here.

Our society has swept the issues of women's bad behavior under the rug for far too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology