U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 06:04 AM

58 posts, read 9,857 times

Advertisements

Why would a person who committed suicide care what you think? They are dead. Case closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 06:16 AM

413 posts, read 79,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheCat View Post
Why would a person who committed suicide care what you think? They are dead. Case closed.
They might not, but the attitude displayed toward those with mental illness impacts how those who experience suicidal ideation are treated and what help, if any, they seek and is available to them.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:07 AM

173 posts, read 29,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
In keeping with the trend of blindly attributing personality traits and intentions to people, I think that your comments regarding mental health in this forum are aimed at purposefully riling people up just for kicks. Why use such an emotive pejorative otherwise?

If I were in a more charitable mood, I'd simply dismiss it as ignorance, since it is clear how little you know of mental illness or pathology behind different psychiatric conditions.

Either way, I wonder why mental health... I've glanced at your other posts and you seem to be a little bit more discerning when it comes to other subjects. What gives? You're not a Scientologist, are you?
I never said that I have knowledge over these things. I'm simply stating things I have noticed.
Cowardice was a poor choice of wording probably. Just say fear.

I don't know why you'd think I'm purposefully riling up people. I simply enjoy thinking and talking about psychology. If you have seen any of my other posts, I always try to tell people that it's going to be ok - the world is a beautiful place and I just want people to see it as such. But in order for that to happen, accepting our weaknesses and strengths without judging is crucial.

Anyway, sorry if you felt offended, but this is a forum and we are exchanging opinions.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
I never said that I have knowledge over these things. I'm simply stating things I have noticed.
Cowardice was a poor choice of wording probably. Just say fear.

I don't know why you'd think I'm purposefully riling up people. I simply enjoy thinking and talking about psychology. If you have seen any of my other posts, I always try to tell people that it's going to be ok - the world is a beautiful place and I just want people to see it as such. But in order for that to happen, accepting our weaknesses and strengths without judging is crucial.

Anyway, sorry if you felt offended, but this is a forum and we are exchanging opinions.
I'm very hard to offend, Gohangr, if at all, so don't worry about my feelings. I get frustrated by certain posts and attitudes but I almost never treat them as a personal affront. Here I was just mirroring your jumping to conclusions for the purpose of illustrating how one can have reasons for believing something and still be potentially wrong.

In your case, your generalisation of a population and reduction of a huge spectrum of mental health conditions to one completely unfounded and scientifically illiterate explanation is rather ignorant and short sighted. You choose to tar everything with the same brush, as if the world is ever that simple. So whilst you do have a right to an opinion, I also have a right to point out its foolishness.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:38 AM

173 posts, read 29,499 times
I understand what you are saying and will be sure to finish every single university before I say what I think.

If you get frustrated with posts that is your personal problem.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:44 AM

22,533 posts, read 24,120,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Those who disagree that suicide is murder - what makes it different from murder in your mind?
Murder is taking the life of another, often violently and without consent. Death by suicide is ultimately self-harm. If a person no longer wants to live and takes their own life, they've made that decision and consented to it themselves. I, personally, do not understand that mindset, but it's a personal choice made of free will that physically harms no one else.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
I understand what you are saying and will be sure to finish every single university before I say what I think.
You don't need every single degree available to admit your limitations or ignorance

Old 06-30-2019, 09:44 AM

313 posts, read 205,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Those who disagree that suicide is murder - what makes it different from murder in your mind?
Take a look at your own user name for starters.

Suicide is a choice I make about my body, my life,
vs
Murder is a choice I make about your body, your life.

Unless you're starting from some religious premise like "our body is the temple of God's spirit, not ours to make choices about", I am baffled that you don't make that fundamental distinction.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:08 AM

5,768 posts, read 4,822,990 times
"Why do people condemn suicides more than homicides?"

They don't. I don't know one single person who would ever condemn a suicide more than a homicide. Please cite one source anywhere that indicates someone, anyone, condemning suicide more than homicide. Suicides are sad. It's awful that someone is in that much pain that they feel this is their only way out it. I've never heard anyone say a murderer is anything less than a horrible excuse for a human being.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:49 AM

7,619 posts, read 4,865,651 times
I don't think it's more condemnation than the other, it's just a different type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or