U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2019, 12:56 PM
 
9,351 posts, read 6,245,937 times
Reputation: 17626

Advertisements

Suicide does not solve anything. It is a selfish act that ultimately hurts everyone you know.


The only two funerals that I attended that I was so pissed off I walked out were suicides


Both were young men in their late twenties, both appeared successful, both had young children (one had 5 kids)



One was an Eagle Scout who kissed his wife goodbye when she left to take their 5 kids to school, went into the garage, cut out a hole in the fiberboard, tied a rope to the roof strut and hanged himself. His poor wife found him when she opened the garage door



The other locked himself in the garage, took sleeping pills and booze and started his car with a hose from the exhaust into the car. He was found by the police doing a welfare check a week later



Neither were addicts or drank much. The common denominator was online gambling


The only possible time when suicide is the right choice is assisted suicide because of a totally debilitating incurable illness. Then it should be with both partners and adult children knowing and having time to talk to the person before death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2019, 02:29 PM
 
28 posts, read 8,131 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Suicide does not solve anything. It is a selfish act that ultimately hurts everyone you know.


The only two funerals that I attended that I was so pissed off I walked out were suicides


Both were young men in their late twenties, both appeared successful, both had young children (one had 5 kids)



One was an Eagle Scout who kissed his wife goodbye when she left to take their 5 kids to school, went into the garage, cut out a hole in the fiberboard, tied a rope to the roof strut and hanged himself. His poor wife found him when she opened the garage door



The other locked himself in the garage, took sleeping pills and booze and started his car with a hose from the exhaust into the car. He was found by the police doing a welfare check a week later



Neither were addicts or drank much. The common denominator was online gambling


The only possible time when suicide is the right choice is assisted suicide because of a totally debilitating incurable illness. Then it should be with both partners and adult children knowing and having time to talk to the person before death.
So people should be forced to live in a world they never asked for just so people will get hurt? What about homeless people who have no one?

Why is suicide more selfish in the two cases above than in an incurable illness? What about a debilitating mental illness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 02:31 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
9,443 posts, read 3,628,914 times
Reputation: 19466
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
So people should be forced to live in a world they never asked for just so people will get hurt? What about homeless people who have no one?

Why is suicide more selfish in the two cases above than in an incurable illness? What about a debilitating mental illness?
Our society is still extremely ignorant about mental illness and mental health problems that lead to suicide. It's easier to judge someone than it is to learn and understand their problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 05:04 PM
 
Location: planet earth
4,812 posts, read 1,824,401 times
Reputation: 10665
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Suicide does not solve anything. It is a selfish act that ultimately hurts everyone you know.


The only two funerals that I attended that I was so pissed off I walked out were suicides


Both were young men in their late twenties, both appeared successful, both had young children (one had 5 kids)



One was an Eagle Scout who kissed his wife goodbye when she left to take their 5 kids to school, went into the garage, cut out a hole in the fiberboard, tied a rope to the roof strut and hanged himself. His poor wife found him when she opened the garage door



The other locked himself in the garage, took sleeping pills and booze and started his car with a hose from the exhaust into the car. He was found by the police doing a welfare check a week later



Neither were addicts or drank much. The common denominator was online gambling


The only possible time when suicide is the right choice is assisted suicide because of a totally debilitating incurable illness. Then it should be with both partners and adult children knowing and having time to talk to the person before death.

I totally agree with you. I wish more people would speak up - there are so many voices "for" suicide.

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Everyone experiences pain - it's a wake-up call - to all who are in pain: So many remedies these days - first, just go to sleep and when you wake up try to find some positive cures for your woes.

Suicide DEVASTATES family members (and others) - there are ripples and consequences - karma will not let anyone "get away" with anything - cause and effect - if you cause people hurt, you will suffer (ironic, I know).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 05:30 PM
 
28 posts, read 8,131 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I totally agree with you. I wish more people would speak up - there are so many voices "for" suicide.

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Everyone experiences pain - it's a wake-up call - to all who are in pain: So many remedies these days - first, just go to sleep and when you wake up try to find some positive cures for your woes.

Suicide DEVASTATES family members (and others) - there are ripples and consequences - karma will not let anyone "get away" with anything - cause and effect - if you cause people hurt, you will suffer (ironic, I know).
No, there aren't.

What about a homeless person. What family members will they devastate? Do you really think that everyone has someone who cares about them?

Why should people be forced to live in a world they never asked for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 07:16 PM
 
Location: planet earth
4,812 posts, read 1,824,401 times
Reputation: 10665
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
No, there aren't.

What about a homeless person. What family members will they devastate? Do you really think that everyone has someone who cares about them?

Why should people be forced to live in a world they never asked for?
Because they did "ask for it" - they just forgot.

Don't be such a victim.

To incarnate on Earth is a rare privilege.

It may not always be fun, but it offers expansion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,093 posts, read 5,877,402 times
Reputation: 30347
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
In the media and in real life. It seems insane but commenting on YouTube videos or other online forums as well as talking to people in real life gives the impression that people are on the surface, less condemning of mass shooters than they are of suicidal people. I know the two are different but it's striking.

If you kill yourself, everyone calls you selfish, weak/cowardly and you can see this on many videos of celebrities or stories of suicie survivors on YouTube. The same statements are reiterated in real life.

On the other hand, if you go out and kill a bunch of people and commit terrorism, mass shootings, or a murder suicide, people condemn you less. Most don't condone it but some do (Elliot Rodger, Stephen Paddock, Adam Lanza). Even on this forum I'd say the difference exists.

Perhaps people can easily distance themselves from mass shootings and don't condemn the killer as much.

That's a ridiculous statement.

Prove that people condemn suicide MORE than homicide.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 10:55 PM
 
1,133 posts, read 616,588 times
Reputation: 1717
It's about shaming, it seems to me. If you look into what shaming's about then the reasons why we shame suicides and not homicides might get more clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 11:41 PM
 
Location: Honolulu
1,065 posts, read 1,467,637 times
Reputation: 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Because they did "ask for it" - they just forgot.

Don't be such a victim.

To incarnate on Earth is a rare privilege.

It may not always be fun, but it offers expansion.
If that's your belief I don't think anyone can have a legitimate argument with you. My belief is that we are all just life forms living out our lives no different than any other animal on Earth. None of us asked to be born, it isn't a privilege to be born, life is not sacred by any means, and we have no obligations to keep living if we don't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2019, 12:05 AM
 
54 posts, read 8,217 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
In the media and in real life. It seems insane but commenting on YouTube videos or other online forums as well as talking to people in real life gives the impression that people are on the surface, less condemning of mass shooters than they are of suicidal people. I know the two are different but it's striking.

If you kill yourself, everyone calls you selfish, weak/cowardly and you can see this on many videos of celebrities or stories of suicie survivors on YouTube. The same statements are reiterated in real life.

On the other hand, if you go out and kill a bunch of people and commit terrorism, mass shootings, or a murder suicide, people condemn you less. Most don't condone it but some do (Elliot Rodger, Stephen Paddock, Adam Lanza). Even on this forum I'd say the difference exists.

Perhaps people can easily distance themselves from mass shootings and don't condemn the killer as much.
Who would say killing a bunch of people is not as bad as killing yourself? Probably no one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top