U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 06:19 PM

413 posts, read 79,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
What evidence do you have that someone thinking of suicide has mental health issues? That seems to be more of a moral judgment than a psychological one.
The actual exchange in which I was engaged presupposed mental health issues to begin with, so I'm afraid your observation, including an odd call to morality of all things, had slightly misfired.

But, hey, if you'd prefer, we can chat about my interest du jour - honour suicides, junshi, and Japanese battle suicide attacks. I'm going through Asian military history phase so could probably drain the will to live out of you with my babbling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 06:28 PM

173 posts, read 29,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
For what percentage of suicides? That sounds a lot like, "He killed himself so he must have been crazy," logic.
Seeing a psychiatrist doesn't necessarily mean you are crazy. It means that you have a mental issue that you can't handle on your own, so you may need medical help. It literally means "soul doctor" in greek.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
Seeing a psychiatrist doesn't necessarily mean you are crazy. It means that you have a mental issue that you can't handle on your own, so you may need medical help. It literally means "soul doctor" in greek.
There goes my theory that you're a Scientologist, Gohangr how could you disillusion me so?!

Old 07-01-2019, 08:18 PM

35,423 posts, read 10,475,434 times
The OP's assertion is simply not true.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:51 PM

2,371 posts, read 1,500,543 times
They don't ... another weird thread supposition.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:11 AM

711 posts, read 261,518 times
You don't have to be mentally ill to be chronically suicidal. This world isn't for everyone and that's becoming the case more and more. Many people are lonely, so socially isolated or have situational problems they cannot fix. The arrogance or father ignorance of people assuming 1) that conventional help will even work and 2) 2) that its even accessible for many people is very depressing in itself.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:53 AM

173 posts, read 29,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
There goes my theory that you're a Scientologist, Gohangr how could you disillusion me so?!
It happens very often that people misunderstand me, so I forgive you for even thinking I could be a Scientologist but only this once.
Then you have to pay me a large sum of money for your sin to be forgiven.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
Then you have to pay me a large sum of money for your sin to be forgiven.
Shall we make it a spanking? You can call it behaviour modifying therapy and I will promise not to giggle

Old 07-02-2019, 07:12 AM

8,897 posts, read 13,645,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
In the media and in real life. It seems insane but commenting on YouTube videos or other online forums as well as talking to people in real life gives the impression that people are on the surface, less condemning of mass shooters than they are of suicidal people. I know the two are different but it's striking.

If you kill yourself, everyone calls you selfish, weak/cowardly and you can see this on many videos of celebrities or stories of suicie survivors on YouTube. The same statements are reiterated in real life.

On the other hand, if you go out and kill a bunch of people and commit terrorism, mass shootings, or a murder suicide, people condemn you less. Most don't condone it but some do (Elliot Rodger, Stephen Paddock, Adam Lanza). Even on this forum I'd say the difference exists.

Perhaps people can easily distance themselves from mass shootings and don't condemn the killer as much.
What are you doing reading youtube comments? They're worse than this forum.

I don't know anyone who would call someone who committed suicide or attempted it weak or cowardly. I think people see suicide as something preventable and therefore they feel it could/should have been stopped so when it's not, it's an incredible shame.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:26 AM

7,977 posts, read 11,652,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
In the media and in real life. It seems insane but commenting on YouTube videos or other online forums as well as talking to people in real life gives the impression that people are on the surface, less condemning of mass shooters than they are of suicidal people. I know the two are different but it's striking.

If you kill yourself, everyone calls you selfish, weak/cowardly and you can see this on many videos of celebrities or stories of suicie survivors on YouTube. The same statements are reiterated in real life.

On the other hand, if you go out and kill a bunch of people and commit terrorism, mass shootings, or a murder suicide, people condemn you less. Most don't condone it but some do (Elliot Rodger, Stephen Paddock, Adam Lanza). Even on this forum I'd say the difference exists.

Perhaps people can easily distance themselves from mass shootings and don't condemn the killer as much.
Because people are self centered and selfish. When someone commits suicide its all about them. How could they leave me? I don't want to feel like I'm to blame. Etc.

PS. Don't know why everyone is trying to pretend that people who commit suicide are called cowards etc. I've certainly seen that in all sorts of forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or